Any secrets to getting protein powders to mix/dissolve easier

Hi guys, anyone known any tricks, like maybe something you can add to it, to get whey and beef based protein powders (mainly Isopure Unflavored and MHP Isoprime Beef) to dissolve easier? Even in the blender unit I use to make my shakes, I end up with big lumps sticking to the sides, and have to make several attempts at breaking them up manually to get it all mixed.

I used to be certified in pesticide application, and had the same kind of issues with powdered insecticides and fungicides. There are several types of wetting agents, which are primarily soap-like molecules, which make mixing easier and more complete. But, adding a little Dawn dish soap would dissolve it faster, but make for a pretty nasty protein drink.

Anyone good with organic chemistry that would know anything? Maybe a tiny little bit of alcohol (say a teaspoon or so of Vodka - and no, I'm not talking about turning this into a party drink, I don't actually drink alcohol per say, but do experiment with it in cooking from time to time).? Lecithin?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Do you really NEED the protein powder in the first place? If so, then I have nothing. I used to choke down lumps of powder back in the 80's and today's protein mixes VERY easily compared to those.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Are you adding the powder to the liquid or the liquid to the powder. Generally the latter works well. Put the powder in, add liquid, shake the bejesus out of it. If there are lumps, let it sit a minute and then shake it again.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Add = elbow grease. Shake it harder!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I've never had an issue with my Isopure clumping...and I've mixed it with everything from chocolate milk to milk to almond "milk" in blender bottles and used the Nutribullet for smoothies. I put my liquid in first and then add the powder. It does practically melt when I add it to coffee, so maybe try adding a bit of warm water?
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    I like room temperature water/liquid and a blender ball shaker cup (if you don't have access to a blender). You can always add ice to your shake after its mixed.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you really NEED the protein powder in the first place? If so, then I have nothing. I used to choke down lumps of powder back in the 80's and today's protein mixes VERY easily compared to those.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, I really do, my RD wants me to have about 160 grams per day. I really only even get close to that when I use a concentrated source and make an effort. Protein in any form, yuck. It doesn't go well with my anemia, I often get nauseated at the sight and smell of meat. I can do Greek yogurt fairly well. If I could live on a high carb diet and begin to meet my goals for weight, muscle mass, aerobic endurance and strength I would.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you adding the powder to the liquid or the liquid to the powder. Generally the latter works well. Put the powder in, add liquid, shake the bejesus out of it. If there are lumps, let it sit a minute and then shake it again.

Thanks, that is an interesting idea. I generally put add powder to liquid. I have been putting just a small amount of almond or cashew milk in the blender, then the powder. I should try this - but will have to bring an old-fashioned open top blender to work (no big deal) - do it like making mayonnaise, keep the blender going at a good clip and slowly drizzle in the liquid?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

Thanks, that is an interesting idea. I generally put add powder to liquid. I have been putting just a small amount of almond or cashew milk in the blender, then the powder. I should try this - but will have to bring an old-fashioned open top blender to work (no big deal) - do it like making mayonnaise, keep the blender going at a good clip and slowly drizzle in the liquid?

I don't use a blender. I put the powder in the glass and then add the liquid that I have measured and either put a lid on and shake it (if the glass I'm using is really a jar) or just stir it up. But I see no reason why what you described wouldn't work. Or could you mix it up at home and then take it to work with you? I like mixing it up and letting it sit in the fridge for a bit and then re-shaking sometimes. It gives the shake a chance to thicken a bit.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    I put liquid in beaker, add protein powder, push powder down below liquid with mixer ball, put on lid and shake well, no lumps! May be is brand of protein you are using?
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    I find some brands just do not blend well. Otherwise, I add the powder TO the liquid and I use a fork to mix it, not a spoon or a blender, seems to work just fine.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    The only thing that works for me is a blender.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Use room temperature water, then add ice later if you want it colder.
    And train your arms so you can shake harder.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I find that liquid first works better. I use a blender bottle (not a blender). If I put in the powder first, it sticks to the bottom in the corners. If I put the liquid in first, it floats on top, so I only have to worry about a ring of powder stuck to the top, but that always mixes in a minute or two. I just have to swirl it for a few seconds first to keep it from sticking to the lid. I do this with either coffee that's been in the fridge overnight, or water straight from the tap. This is with whey protein. Ive I've never used beef protein.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I use a magic bullet and have never had problems maybe it's your bender blade.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I just use a shaker. Liquid first, add powder, shake it like a cocktail and it comes out perfectly smooth. Refridgerating it and then re-shaking might help...
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    I predominantly use whey isolate and chuck it in my nutri-ninja, smooth as silk.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    BTW, I use a 30 year old Osterizer blender that you can now buy for just $15-20 on eBay.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Hand blender...
  • LiftingLisa
    LiftingLisa Posts: 12,345 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I just use a shaker. Liquid first, add powder, shake it like a cocktail and it comes out perfectly smooth.

This is how I do it and it's smooth.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I actually found that splitting the difference works even better.. I put a little liquid in... then powder.. then ice, then the rest of the liquid.

Haven't had clumps since. and as a bonus it stays cold most of the morning.

I find that liquid first works better. I use a blender bottle (not a blender). If I put in the powder first, it sticks to the bottom in the corners. If I put the liquid in first, it floats on top, so I only have to worry about a ring of powder stuck to the top, but that always mixes in a minute or two. I just have to swirl it for a few seconds first to keep it from sticking to the lid. I do this with either coffee that's been in the fridge overnight, or water straight from the tap. This is with whey protein. Ive I've never used beef protein.

I also use the blender bottle and find that it works really well.