Low Carb Vs Calorie counting

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It comes down to calories, but I would feel up on veggies. Half of the plate should be veggies(salad, sautéed kale, spinach, and other veggies) a quarter of plate should be protein( whatever fits in the palm of hands) the other quarter should be carbs( I would limit that to 1/2 cup to 3/4 of cup and eat carbs like Ezekiel bread, whole wheat past, brown rice, quinoa, Farro). For snack in between meals ( a fruit with nuts, yogurt with fruit, popcorn(3cups).

who makes up these rules?

US government.

MyPlateRecipes-1360947634_280.jpg

Although the PP substituted more veggies in place of fruits.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It comes down to calories, but I would feel up on veggies. Half of the plate should be veggies(salad, sautéed kale, spinach, and other veggies) a quarter of plate should be protein( whatever fits in the palm of hands) the other quarter should be carbs( I would limit that to 1/2 cup to 3/4 of cup and eat carbs like Ezekiel bread, whole wheat past, brown rice, quinoa, Farro). For snack in between meals ( a fruit with nuts, yogurt with fruit, popcorn(3cups) so I would eat in a manner that was in line with my goals and preferences and try not to overthink it too much...

fixed...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It comes down to calories, but I would feel up on veggies. Half of the plate should be veggies(salad, sautéed kale, spinach, and other veggies) a quarter of plate should be protein( whatever fits in the palm of hands) the other quarter should be carbs( I would limit that to 1/2 cup to 3/4 of cup and eat carbs like Ezekiel bread, whole wheat past, brown rice, quinoa, Farro). For snack in between meals ( a fruit with nuts, yogurt with fruit, popcorn(3cups).

US government.

the same ones that told us fats were bad in the 80's???
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Says who?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

US government.

the same ones that told us fats were bad in the 80's???

Yep. The same.

I do my best to not take government dietary recommendations too seriously.
  • Clody80
    Clody80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been on calorie restriction with anything goes. Very slow to lose. Now lately on low carb high fat I consume more calories (+200 versus MFP suggested) and seem to lose weight faster. Maybe it's temporary. But I have also done a genetic test which showed I am borderline insulin resistant, so low carb makes sense for me