Does apple cider vinegar help with weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It would probably make me throw up. I do not condone throwing up for weight loss.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's also helpful in resetting the stomach acids. People with ACID Reflux and GERD who are trying to go off Proton Pump Inhibitors (Nexium, etc) that stop ACID entirely...typically have a horrible overflow of acid production when they cold turkey. Though it would seem like ACV would make reflux worse, for many it stabiilizes acids and normalizes digestion.

I believe that's where the ACV for weight loss myth came from. People figured it would just burn all that food right up. It does no such thing. Its not unhealthy to add a spoonful a day, if you are hell bent on trying it, though.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's comments about ACV. I have heard and read about it. My husband is determined for us to try it. I really don't want to. Ugh!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It's also helpful in resetting the stomach acids. People with ACID Reflux and GERD who are trying to go off Proton Pump Inhibitors (Nexium, etc) that stop ACID entirely...typically have a horrible overflow of acid production when they cold turkey. Though it would seem like ACV would make reflux worse, for many it stabiilizes acids and normalizes digestion.

I believe that's where the ACV for weight loss myth came from. People figured it would just burn all that food right up. It does no such thing. Its not unhealthy to add a spoonful a day, if you are hell bent on trying it, though.

It doesn't work for my acid reflux.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

ACV does nothing for rebound acidity when stopping PPI's (for most people). In my situation, it made it horrendously worse. I felt like my chest was on fire. Losing weight was the one thing that finally stopped my acid reflux and eliminated my dependency on PPI's. I have to be careful how much I eat within a couple hours of bedtime, huge hamburgers and hot fries are a definite no-no. ACV as a weight loss tool, no. It does taste good on salads.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    No it doesn't help weight loss unless it is by making my salads more yummy. I mix it with chopped mint or basil and use it as a dressing.

I am partial to using it to make a hot bacon dressing for fresh spinach salad.

Recipe please!

No recipe, it is a "by guess and by golly" dressing: fry up strips of bacon until crisp, set aside to drain but keep the fat in the pan. Take 2 parts ACV and one part water in separate bowls. Whisk several spoons of sugar and some cornstarch in the water. Whisk in the vinegar. Pour into the pan with the bacon fat and cook over medium heat until thickened. Crumble bacon into dressing and pour over fresh spinach tossed with some thinly sliced red onion and slices of hard cooked egg.

To make about a cup, I use about 8 strips bacon, 1/4 c. water, 1/2 c. ACV, 1/2 c. sugar and maybe 1 Tbl cornstarch.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options

It doesn't work for my acid reflux.

Me neither. Im stuck with Nexium years after a Gastric Ulcer and onset of GERD. But trying to keep food down during that period is when I read a lot of people with milder versions finding success after the first few days of hell. But it seemed to spiral into a pattern of "ACV cures the fatz!" And I blame the "reflux-reset" thing.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Missycvt wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's comments about ACV. I have heard and read about it. My husband is determined for us to try it. I really don't want to. Ugh!

Tell him to do it himself and then report back to you on how it went.

Lol. That's awful.
  • wennycerry
    wennycerry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had severe heartburn when i took 1 spoon of it in the morning. Then i stopped..
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »

Little concerning that you have to obey your hubby like that. What happens if you choose not to do it? If he wants to do it, let him. If he forces you to do it that's a major red flag. Take care of yourself sweetie.