Halo top vs enlightened ice cream pints

Options
13»

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    The enlightened bars had a kind of 'rubbery' texture to me. The first Halo Top I tried, cookie dough, was creamy and more ice creamy...
    However later I tried the Halo Top birthday cake, which many here love, and thought that it also had a slight 'rubbery' texture. I wonder if there are some quality control issues that might be messing with my taste testing.

So far, Halo Top wins. I still have several flavors in my fridge waiting for trial, but I've got several flavors that totally replace ice cream for me. The calorie count/protein ratio can't be beat...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    The enlightened bars had a kind of 'rubbery' texture to me. The first Halo Top I tried, cookie dough, was creamy and more ice creamy...
    However later I tried the Halo Top birthday cake, which many here love, and thought that it also had a slight 'rubbery' texture. I wonder if there are some quality control issues that might be messing with my taste testing.

So far, Halo Top wins. I still have several flavors in my fridge waiting for trial, but I've got several flavors that totally replace ice cream for me. The calorie count/protein ratio can't be beat...

I'm quite sure that Halo Top has quality issues. I had two pints that tasted very artificial.. had the same flavors again and they were fine!

Tried more Enlightened and it just doesn't compare for me. Just so bland and artificial tasting. I've only really liked a couple so far (the 400 calories a pint ones, of course).
  • rjrichjack
    rjrichjack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stick with Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-dazs, don't believe the hype!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rjrichjack wrote: »

It's not hype. It's just low-cal ice cream. I used to be able to make room for Ben & Jerry's on a semi-regular basis. I can't do that anymore and Halo Top is a big help for me. It's no B&J, but it's good stuff.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I was expecting the worst when i first bought a tub of Halotop. Maybe I'm weird, but it tastes just like regular ice cream to me.

Same here... I was super skeptical about it and I got a free pint and it changed my life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I was expecting the worst when i first bought a tub of Halotop. Maybe I'm weird, but it tastes just like regular ice cream to me.

This. Ok, it doesn't taste like Haagen Dazs or B&J but it's really not far from the lower calorie ice creams like Turkey Hill... and it's more filling.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This. Ok, it doesn't taste like Haagen Dazs or B&J but it's really not far from the lower calorie ice creams like Turkey Hill... and it's more filling.

AAh i have never tasted either of those. If i did a blind tasting of halo top and Ben n Jerrys I'd no doubt be able to tell the difference.

We have an "ice cream" here that tastes very similar to how you guys describe Arctic zero.. Iced crystals with a bit of flavour squirted in, it was awful :confounded: I was expecting halo top to be a bit better than that, so i was very happy that it tasted nothing like it!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just had the bday cake enlightened pint last night and was very impressed! Super creamy, and the texture is completely different than halo top. I also had the black cherry the other day which was surprisingly tasty also! I'm leaning towards these enlightened ice cream pints more than halo top lately!
  • mariannepaul1
    mariannepaul1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First I tried Arctic Zero, which was fairly awful, so I was happy to discover Enlightened. I loved their Frozen Hot Cocoa and Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors. Then I tried Halo Top. I was unimpressed with their Lemon Cake and Birthday Cake, but I love the new flavors. Peanut Butter Cup is my favorite. I also love Chocolate Almond Crunch, Smores, Oatmeal Cookie and Mint Chocolate Chip. I recently tried the Enlightened Birthday Cake and Chocolate Peanut Butter again. But after eating Halo Top for the last eight months, I can't go back to Enlightened. It takes too long to thaw and I don't like the consistency. I'll try their Red Velvet because I'm not a huge fan of the Halo Top Red Velvet, but so far, none of my local stores carry much Enlightened anymore. The freezer shelves are filled with Halo Top and Arctic Zero.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I notice enlightened is much harder to find (Sprouts markets carry it) so I typically just stick with halo top and arctic zero, like both.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    First I tried Arctic Zero, which was fairly awful, so I was happy to discover Enlightened. I loved their Frozen Hot Cocoa and Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors. Then I tried Halo Top. I was unimpressed with their Lemon Cake and Birthday Cake, but I love the new flavors. Peanut Butter Cup is my favorite. I also love Chocolate Almond Crunch, Smores, Oatmeal Cookie and Mint Chocolate Chip. I recently tried the Enlightened Birthday Cake and Chocolate Peanut Butter again. But after eating Halo Top for the last eight months, I can't go back to Enlightened. It takes too long to thaw and I don't like the consistency. I'll try their Red Velvet because I'm not a huge fan of the Halo Top Red Velvet, but so far, none of my local stores carry much Enlightened anymore. The freezer shelves are filled with Halo Top and Arctic Zero.

I like the creaminess (once thawed) of enlightened and their bday cake beats halo top by far for me. I like their red velvet better than halo top's because of the cream cheese swirl, but its much easier to find halo top. I just bought sea salt caramel enlightened and will compare to halo top since that's one of my favorites by halo top.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Enlightened bars are to die for (let the sea salt caramel melt a bit... so good!). Also a fan of their broad bean snacks. Their pints are mediocre... And Halo Top is over-hyped imo (still like and enjoy them though).
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've never tried Enlightened before. I LOVE Halo Top - Mint Chip, Salted Caramel, Vanilla and Strawberry are my top favs. Black Cherry, Birthday Cake, Peanut Butter and Oatmeal are pretty good. My least favs were Lemon and Chocolate Almond Crunch
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    I bought and tried 2 different flavors of Halo Top and threw them both out. Taste nothing like icecream and leave a really weird aftertaste. It was so gross.

In the same boat after all the hype on halo top decided to try it and thought it was horrible. Tried brithday cake and pistachio. Wasn't sure if it was just me so...
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Since trying a lot of the flavors of Halo Top & Enlightened here are my favorites for both brands.

Halo Top:

Birthday Cake
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
    Peanut Butter Cup

Flavors I would buy if they were on sale:

Mint Chocolate Chip, Vanilla Bean, & Sea Salt Caramel

Enlightened:

Red Velvet Cake (seriously delicious)
    Caramel Oatmeal Cookie Crunch
    Triple Chocolate

I wish the stores around me would carry some of the newer Enlightened pints.

I want to try their Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Foster flavor.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    Here is my definitive ranking of Halo Top flavors, as I have tried all seventeen (best to least favorite):
    1. Mint Chip - similar to Breyer's. Light mint flavor with a generous amount of chocolate chips.
    2. Peanut butter Cup - think Malt Cup flavor with a rich swirl of Reese's peanut butter.
    3. Sea Salt Caramel - a sweet caramel base with an indulgent swirl of sea salt/caramel
    4. Oatmeal Cookie - a snickerdoodle-esque base flavor with cinnamon and nutmeg notes. Oatmeal pieces mixed in (would be better with chocolate chips
    5. Vanilla - a classic vanilla bean flavor (not your typical New York vanilla ice cream flavor)
    6. Chocolate - rich, chocolatey flavor. Let it soften and it tastes exactly like a Wendy's frosty.
    7. Black Cherry - deep, dark cherry flavor. Like raspberry/chocolate chunk ice cream without the chocolate.
    8. Chocolate Almond Crunch - very strong almond flavor (which I love)... similar to those almond cookies at Chinese buffets - lacking in the chocolate flavor.
    9. Birthday Cake - a light vanilla flavor, could use more sprinkles... Prefer Enlightened's Bday cake flavor.
    10. S'mores - tastes more like tiramisu than s;mores... still good with a light graham flavor. Not many mix-ins, though...
    11. Strawberry - classic strawberry flavor. Think strawberry shake with a sugar substitute aftertaste
    12. Chocolate Mocha Chip - Very strong mocha flavor. Not the best (I prefer chocolate) but it has a similar taste to a Starbucks java Chip Frappucino.
    13. Cookie Dough - a lot of people LOVE this flavor... I'm not a fan. The mix-ins are weak and the base flavor isn't anything special (a sweet cream taste)... Not worth the higher calorie amount.
    14. Lemon Cake - It's good on occasion, but has a strong fake sugar aftertaste. Kind of tastes like cleaning product... but it was my first ever flavor Halo Top (back in 2012!) so I still have it occasionally.
    15. Cookies and Cream - It's okay... tastes like soggy Oreo's in almond milk - strong aftertaste...
    16. Pistachio - weak nutty flavor... think classic vanilla with green food coloring and pistachio extract HA. t's a fun flavor to try though...
    17. Red Velvet - meh. Nothing special. Could use more mix-ins (cream cheese!) Base flavor isn't worth the 90 calories per serving... A lot of people like this flavor though. To each his own.
  • ndean80
    ndean80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few halo top flavors and my favorite are peanut butter cup and the mint chocolate chip. I haven't tried the enlightened yet.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    ndean80 wrote: »
    I've tried a few halo top flavors and my favorite are peanut butter cup and the mint chocolate chip. I haven't tried the enlightened yet.

Enlightened sea salt caramel and Bday cake are too good.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    +1 Arctic Zero Pints
    +1 Enlightened (it really depends on the flavor, though. The "hot chocolate" flavor was amazing... the "salted caramel" was gross)