Always eat over my calorie limit

Options
Hi there. Just looking for tips/success stories/motivation.

I've been MAKING myself log my calories for the last several weeks but I always eat over my calorie limit of 1550. Sometimes due to hunger but mostly due to lack of self control. I go for the bad stuff.

I have this terrible cycle of bingeing and then beating myself up, over and over. I obsess about every calorie I eat, every ounce gain and my appearance yet I still binge.

Any words of wisdom from someone who has been through a similar mindset/situation.

On another note: I should say that I am 5 months pregnant with #2. I'm monitoring my calories with doctor supervision. (I'm also a women's health nurse, I wouldn't do anything stupid :)) She wants me getting 1700, which I always get because I binge (usually get way more). I wanted to get in the mindset early since I never lost the last 15lb from baby #1. So yes, I know I need more calories and I'll be hungrier then normal. This is more of me asking for help or success stories of someone overcoming their own body image issues/binge eating etc.

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    yeah I don't know how to tackle the pregnant hunger thing. What I do is save most of my calories for the evening because that is my snacking time. It allows me to snack and give in to some of my impulses and stay in my calorie/macro counts.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 babies so understand the pregnancy cravings. If I were you, I'd try to keep the "bad stuff" out of the house. Not there to eat, cannot eat/over-eat it. Actually that is my rule right now, ha. I have 3 kids and they like cookies as their snack and I intentionally only buy the ones I can resist. Win-win for both them and me.

Also, keep simple, easy to grab snacks available like fresh fruit and veggies or individual sized items (granola bars for example). Tell yourself, if I'm feeling hungry, drink 1 glass of cold water (add a lemon if you'd like) then wait 30 minutes and if I still want food grab that healthy snack.
  • jathieret
    jathieret Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating 1550 people, believe me :) I aim for 1700 which is what my doctor advised is a healthy calorie goal for me. I just can't switch that in my diary. But due to my lack of self control, I always get WAY more then that.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As some noted above:
    - Shop smarter, don't bring trigger foods into the house.
    - Pre log

Also, I'm almost always over cals. I figured out for me it's some sort of psychological cheat the numbers thing, so I reduced my target and I go over. It's a delicate balance though, too far over and I'll undo my deficit. Are you losing (or not overly-gaining since you are pregnant) on 1500 even even though you go over? Well then don't worry about the target just focus on health (and no gain).

Additionally, I eat every three hours. If I get even a smidge of hungry I'm prone to binge. How often are you scheduling your meals/snacks?
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Maybe experiment some with your macro balance. The "lack of control" issues that you describe might come from not feeling satisfied with the types of foods that you're eating. Try increasing protein for a week and see if that helps, if not, try upping fat the next week, and so on. My personal mix that stopped me wanting to snack all the time is about 50% carbs, with a good amount of fat in the morning and more protein heavy meals towards the end of the day. I don't avoid rice, pasta, English muffins, or flavored coffee creamer and get plenty of fruits and veggies. But, once I learned what a proper portion was, I haven't had any trouble (for the most part) sticking to my weekly goals and I don't feel hungry unless it's been a while since I last ate/ close to a planned meal time. Your satiety mix may be different, lots of people are more satisfied with fat or protein.
  • bunny_347
    bunny_347 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A few words from a past binger (I used to binge eat 4-5 days per week with often 2-3 days 3000 calories plus:()
    - I eat reasonable portions of healthy food at meals - for me (not pregnant, loosing weight now) 450 breakfast 600 lunch 150 snack 550 dinner - this is a move from not eating enough at meals or "saving up' for the evening leading me to over snack and binge.
    - Don't concentrate on "dieting", concentrate on good quality food
    - In the book "brain over binge" by kathryn hansen a really good point is made that you're upping your calories massively by binging so why not enjoy those calories in a healthy way spread out over the day, guilt free! (i.e up your calorie goal)
    Finally you're growing a tiny human, which is incredible, focus on health, 15lbs is not that much weight wise, don't sweat the small stuff!
  • jathieret
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you all. Again (to those who didn't quite understand the post), I'm not focusing on losing weight. I'm growing a human, I have more important things to do.

But I do want to stop the binge/guilt cycle (which was my personality BEFORE I got pregnant) and this was more of a post to get ideas from other people who have been through that same mental battle. It's a tough one to break, even though you know what needs to be done.

There never is a wrong time to work on your own physical and mental , especially during pregnancy.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have to start by asking exactly what you mean by a "binge"? Different people use the word differently. Are we talking a pint of ice cream? Or eating half the fridge?

Have you tried regular snacks - making sure to incorporate some fat and protein into them? Things like an apple with an ounce or two of cheese? Or nuts and dried fruit? Or cheese and crackers?

I'm probably not the best person to give advice in this scenario because, for me, eating while pregnant was a nightmare. Trying to work around morning sickness (which lasted all day for six months; blech), severe acid reflux (which meant I couldn't eat some of my favourite things - like tomatoes and most fruit) and pregnancy-only food aversions (no milk, for example) made it very difficult to find foods I could eat and keep down. Suffice it to say, I ate more than my fair share of ice cream, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes. But, on the plus side, I had two healthy babies and did manage to lose all the pregnancy weight. So, the point of that whole tangent was just to say that, no matter what, you can get this to work, it will work out okay, and best of luck!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure 1700 is enough. Your maintenance is probably more than that and your body is growing a human! You are also past the beginning of pregnancy where you can get away with eating less (or are so sick you can't eat).

Obviously you aren't eating enough and your body is telling you that. You are feeling the starving sensation because you are starving.

Allow yourself to have more calories and you won't need to binge. Don't worry about what weight you didn't lose after the last baby.
  • Operationfreedom89
    Operationfreedom89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great replies! I was thinking it might also be helpful to try to think about what you are feeling leading up to a binge. I struggle with bingeing as well, and I have found it helpful to be mindful of the circumstances surrounding my binge. I often binge if I'm watching tv and eating, so I try to limit myself to a cup of yummy tea to sip on while watching television and eat at the table. I have also noticed that my binges are inspired by unaddressed emotions. If I get carried away with anxiety it will often spur a binge. But if I am able to step back and think about what I am feeling and what that situation really needs it helps me avoid a binge. I hope that is helpful! You got this!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How many calories ARE you actually eating. Are we talking "I'm aiming for 1700 and ate 4000" or "i'm aiming for 1700 and ate 1950"?
  • jathieret
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How many calories ARE you actually eating. Are we talking "I'm aiming for 1700 and ate 4000" or "i'm aiming for 1700 and ate 1950"?

I would say I aim for 1700 but typically eat 2000-2200 (some days even more and I just don't even track because I don't want to see the damage!)

It's not even that I'm hungry, I'm not. My body "isn't telling me I need more calories" like some previous posters have said. I just lose control.

I also realize I posted this in the "weight loss" board which was probably poor planning on my part, I apologize but all the replies have been wonderful and greatly appreciated.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    jathieret wrote: »

I would say I aim for 1700 but typically eat 2000-2200 (some days even more and I just don't even track because I don't want to see the damage!)

It's not even that I'm hungry, I'm not. My body "isn't telling me I need more calories" like some previous posters have said. I just lose control.

I also realize I posted this in the "weight loss" board which was probably poor planning on my part, I apologize but all the replies have been wonderful and greatly appreciated.

We obviously have different stats. I can maintain on 2200 calories. And that seems like a better amount for your situation.

Try eating 2200 a day and see if the binges disappear. I'm guessing they will.