C25K!!!!!

Options

Replies

• CincyFan75
    CincyFan75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love C25k. I did it a few years ago and ended up going on to train for the Disney half marathon. Good luck with the program. Have fun!
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Well done! For even better results, wear a heart rate monitor...
  • Picoides
    Picoides Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love C25K! I completed it a while ago and have been running 5K on my treadmill a couple of times a week ever since. I just ran my first 5K outdoors yesterday (on trails near my house). Before I started on C25K, I never in a million years would have thought I could do that. It really has changed my life.
  • laurajeanholly
    laurajeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    W3D1 today! It went really well, but I still haven't figured out how to avoid getting a stitch in my right side every time I run! It doesn't seem to matter how slow I go, how I breath, that my stomach is empty besides a bit of water, if my left foot hits the ground as I exhale, it happens every time. Any suggestions? I'm in good shape and done losing weight, my legs and body want to run but I always get that annoying pain in my side!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    MazzyToday wrote: »
    W4, D3. Still lumbering, but still doing it.

The last one I did at night, and boy, was that a game changer. It was 69 degrees For, not 90-95, no blazing sun, no traffic, no noise. Me, my breathing, and my footsteps.

It was Nike-commercial motivating. Best one yet. If you are somewhere hottish and have that option, you may find out it is daytime, not you, that is slowing you down.

I may need some mace and a headlamp.

I'm in California and run when I get off work. There is a significant difference in my performance depending on whether it is hot or cool. I ran once in the early morning, and it was so nice. It's starting to get really hot now, so I'm probably going to have to push my runs until later in the evening. But, yeah, temperature matters.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    W3D1 today! It went really well, but I still haven't figured out how to avoid getting a stitch in my right side every time I run! It doesn't seem to matter how slow I go, how I breath, that my stomach is empty besides a bit of water, if my left foot hits the ground as I exhale, it happens every time. Any suggestions? I'm in good shape and done losing weight, my legs and body want to run but I always get that annoying pain in my side!

Add some core work to your exercise routine. Strong abs/back will help. Also, try breathing deeply when you run. Shallow quick breaths can cause issues.

Good luck.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Will do W2D1 tomorrow morning. Totally worth getting up that early in the morning. I splurged on good running shoes this weekend too. They're pretty :).
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd be able to but I finished W2D1. It was 90 seconds of jogging and I can't believe I was able to do it.

Im kind of skeptical tho.... can i actually be able to run 5km at the end of the program? Time will only tell I guess.

Side note, In addition to C25K, I also do 6 workouts a week and am trying to eat healthier and less. I'm really excited on one hand, but I've failed so many times that's I'm just naturally skeptical and pessimistic of everything.

Anyways, I actually like this program. Half an hour isn't bad and I love the feeling of accomplishment. My legs however are always sore after, and my right side feels like it squeezes tighlty at times during the run. Hopefully it's nothing and gets better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    Day 3 is done. My legs feel like it's going to break

why are you running on consecutive days....?

you should have a rest day in between running days while you're doing C25K
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Will do W2D1 tomorrow morning. Totally worth getting up that early in the morning. I splurged on good running shoes this weekend too. They're pretty :).

New running shoes are my reward for my 20lbs lost mark. I keep getting to 19lbs lost then gain a little, very frustrating, but I know I'll get there. ☺
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 355 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Week 5, day 1! I'm halfway done with the C25K program and really enjoying it! I get my alone time and am taking care of myself, which is modeling that balance for my kiddos. My 5 year old daughter told me that when she becomes a mom she's going to run on my treadmill like me. :) Now just trying to figure out what to do in between my runs, on my off days. Want my alone time every day, lol!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Now just trying to figure out what to do in between my runs, on my off days. Want my alone time every day, lol!

I do yin yoga, which focuses on flexibility. The teachers at my gym do a ton of hip and hamstring work in their sessions.

If I have extra time, I swim. My teenager and I have recently started going to a barbell class, which is no-impact, but I think it's less than ideal as running cross-training, because there's a lot of leg and glute work, so it's not a great rest day activity for me at this point.

• staceymorton5
    staceymorton5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am one run away from completing the C25K and can't recommend it highly enough to anyone thinking of starting it. I always hated running and now I can do 30 minutes continuously! Not quite at 5k yet but got a race planned in a few weeks, so I'm confident I can hit 5K by then. It really is a great programme for learning how to run.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Run as the programme has it - don't run consecutive days. And run slower than you ever thought could constitute running. And then run slower than that. Keep your steps short but quick. You should be able to sing and run at the same time. Believe me, it's better to build endurance than to try and get to a distance goal at this stage.

I second all of this, although my breathing test is "free and smooth, in and out through the nose," and "can hold a conversation," not "can sing," so I have a slightly higher level of exertion.

I first attempted C25K about 5 years ago, and gave up due to shin splints and misery about W2. This time around, I'm on W6 with no pain or misery, despite running on a harder surface (asphalt vs dirt) with hills (vs utterly flat) in the sun (vs mostly shaded). The difference has been knowing that the goal is to go slow, with short quick light steps, and to breathe easy.
  • editour
    editour Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im kind of skeptical tho.... can i actually be able to run 5km at the end of the program? Time will only tell I guess.

probably not. You WILL however be able to run continuously for 30 minutes or so. Don't try and target distance at this time, just go with slowly building endurance.

Run as the programme has it - don't run consecutive days. And run slower than you ever thought could constitute running. And then run slower than that. Keep your steps short but quick. You should be able to sing and run at the same time. Believe me, it's better to build endurance than to try and get to a distance goal at this stage.

Question for people with more experience in running: how slow is slow? I am doing C25K on the treadmill and have been curious if I am going too slow or should be going slower...tomorrow is week 5 day 1 for me. I average about 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.
  • CPFitnessIsFun
    CPFitnessIsFun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love the program. I'm not sure what week I'm on though as I don't have my phone with me :) This week I will go up to 3 Minute run intervals followed by 2 minutes of walking. Funny how you can get excited and nervous about the change.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Question for people with more experience in running: how slow is slow? I am doing C25K on the treadmill and have been curious if I am going too slow or should be going slower...tomorrow is week 5 day 1 for me. I average about 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give. [/quote]

I don't think its possible to go too slow....sometimes you can run slower than you can walk....its all about building endurance without injury.

I started running about a year ago and made the classic mistake of going to fast and/or over doing it. Needless to say I've had numerous injuries and even now, runners knee gets to me after about 3 miles.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    editour wrote: »

probably not. You WILL however be able to run continuously for 30 minutes or so. Don't try and target distance at this time, just go with slowly building endurance.

Question for people with more experience in running: how slow is slow? I am doing C25K on the treadmill and have been curious if I am going too slow or should be going slower...tomorrow is week 5 day 1 for me. I average about 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

I started faster than that, and ended up slowing down to 4 mph. I can walk at that speed. I'm 6' if that matters.

I'm trying to better my speed now.