Help! On liquid diet - not cause I want to!

Options
fromaquasar1
fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been grinding my teeth so much in my sleep I can barely open my mouth, let alone chew, my jaw muscles are so sore. I can basically sip a smoothie through a straw, everything else is excruciating. Does anyone else get this? What do you do to stop it?! It's been on and off for about 2 months now - this morning is particularly bad, and I've had the last straw (ba dom dom tish)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with your dentist.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You can get a drugstore mouth guard for temporary relief and to prevent breaking your teeth. In the long term, I would recommend seeing a dentist.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've used a sports mouth guard for years that my dentist OK'd, but my problem was never so bad that I was reduced to a liquid diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I pulled a muscle in my face a couple of years ago from clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth. I went to the physio and the chiro... Some of the most painful treatment I've had!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Go to the dentist
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    dentist pronto - last time I was like this they gave me muscle relaxers to help and then mouth guard - but you need to get checked out
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    See your dentist as soon as you can. Get a temporary mouthguard if it's more than a couple of days before you can go. Grinding your teeth is BAD, and can cause a whole host of major health problems.

Also, grinding is sometimes a symptom of stress or other mental concerns, so perhaps seeing a therapist or counselor about that aspect of your health might be beneficial as well.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Dentist....but get a drugstore mouth guard in the meantime. It can take a few weeks to get the one from the dentist. And they only cost about $20
  • Fathater36
    Fathater36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do not wait, go to the best dentist you know, and you will feel better in no time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to see a doctor at (or at least affiliated with) a sleep center. Find out why you're grinding your teeth and see if you can get that squared away. While a mouthguard will help your teeth, it may not (although it may) help your jaw/muscles.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks team - to the professionals I go!