Frustrated

Options
I have only been doing this program for one week and today was my weigh in day. Only lost ONE lb! My goal is 2 lbs. per week. I find this very frustrating since I have totally stuck with the diet plan, and only used about 800 of my 1200 calories per day. I am hardly eating and yet only a measly little weight loss. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• christopherwelch95
    christopherwelch95 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stick with it for a bit. It might come off in a clump, that's what my body does.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady weight loss is your friend.
  • matthewgeraldfrench123
    Options
    First, congratulations on losing your one pound. Do not get distressed. Losing weight is a long and arduous trek through empty bags of potato chips, pizza boxes, dirty gym clothes, and celery. I see losing weight not as a diet, but as an attempt to change my lifestyle. Lifestyle changes are not easy. They take hard work, and you may be in battle for years.
  • cherilee0831
    cherilee0831 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Increasing your water intake will definitely help but you should also increase your calories. Trust me, I just lost a lot of weight very quickly on 800 calories for two months and then it stopped and even gained some (eating clean too). I have increased to almost 1200 calories and it is coming off again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this program for one week and today was my weigh in day. Only lost ONE lb! My goal is 2 lbs. per week. I find this very frustrating since I have totally stuck with the diet plan, and only used about 800 of my 1200 calories per day. I am hardly eating and yet only a measly little weight loss. What am I doing wrong?

you are doing nothing wrong, you lost one pound ...and it has ONLY been one week.

Also, eating 800 calories a day is a recipe for losing muscle, and may lead to binging due to being so hungry.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on losing your one pound. Do not get distressed. Losing weight is a long and arduous trek through empty bags of potato chips, pizza boxes, dirty gym clothes, and celery. I see losing weight not as a diet, but as an attempt to change my lifestyle. Lifestyle changes are not easy. They take hard work, and you may be in battle for years.

The bolded made me laugh.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^This.

Change your expectations, OP. It has only been a week (give it at least 6 weeks) and you've lost 1lb... that's huge for someone with not much to lose. Be happy.

Change your rate of loss to .5lbs per week as the 2lbs per week is reserved for those who have a lot to lose. To lose 2lbs per week, one must consume 1000 calories under maintenance (not the calories mfp gives you- mfp calories are calculated off your maintenance) daily. This gets impossible the less weight one has to lose (would have to go the very unsafe route of well under 1000 calories ). Eating that low can lead to muscle loss/damage (the heart is a muscle) and many other health complications (gallstones are one of them).

Eat all your calories that mfp gives you. That's what they're there for. You're supposed to eat them all. Going over them will not lead to weight gain.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Eat your full amount of calories. If you are exercising, eat some of those back as well. Make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. And most important: Weigh all of your food and log it faithfully. Do not underestimate sizes. My small (to me compared to others I could have bought) was actually 2 servings. The bowl of cereal I eyeballed was closer to 3. Yikes! No wonder I wasn't losing. That digital scale made all the difference. Secondly it has only been one week. Celebrate your loss! (Just not with food) and enjoy the process because it truly is a lifestyle change. Depending on how much you need to lose, 2 lbs a week may be too aggressive.
  • ruthhowellwriter
    ruthhowellwriter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your insightful replies . . . but they raise yet another question. Here goes... I am 5'7" and my starting weight was 179. As of today (Wed) I have lost 2 lbs. My goal is to lose 26 lbs at 2 lbs a week. My normal diet was comprised of a lot of sweets and pasta. The only thing I've changed is I've cut out both of them and that has left me with the appx. 800 calories a day. Except for the sweets and pasta, I AM eating normally (for me).

How in the world can I increase my calorie intake while NOT increasing my carbs and sugar? I most definitely do not want to do muscle damage, especially to my heart as I have already undergone heart valve surgery and have some heart damage. I just don't crave food very much - except for sweets and pasta lol. This may sound a little ridiculous to most, but I was think for most of my life and, apparently, never learned to eat properly or worry about things like calories, carbs, sugar, etc. Now I am worried about my low calorie intake.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and beans come to mind. There are some vegetables you can eat tons of without a big caloric impact. They will be all rolling in at your farmer's market soon. Fruits have a higher caloric hit.

I'm sure others will add to this.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your insightful replies . . . but they raise yet another question. Here goes... I am 5'7" and my starting weight was 179. As of today (Wed) I have lost 2 lbs. My goal is to lose 26 lbs at 2 lbs a week. My normal diet was comprised of a lot of sweets and pasta. The only thing I've changed is I've cut out both of them and that has left me with the appx. 800 calories a day. Except for the sweets and pasta, I AM eating normally (for me).

How in the world can I increase my calorie intake while NOT increasing my carbs and sugar? I most definitely do not want to do muscle damage, especially to my heart as I have already undergone heart valve surgery and have some heart damage. I just don't crave food very much - except for sweets and pasta lol. This may sound a little ridiculous to most, but I was think for most of my life and, apparently, never learned to eat properly or worry about things like calories, carbs, sugar, etc. Now I am worried about my low calorie intake.

Unless you have a specific medical need, there's no reason you can't learn to moderately include carbs/treats in your life. This is the time to develop good habits! And good habits usually include a little treat now and then.

As to increasing calorie counts without carbs... you know literally every other food on this earth has calories, right? Add some more protein to get to your 1,200. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'7" and 179lbs, trying to lose 2lbs per week is an unrealistic goal. Aiming for 1-1.5 is more viable and will give you more calories to work with. As you lose, adjusting rate of loss down to .5-1lb per week will also happen.

It has little to do with what you are eating. You shouldn't have to cut out any foods if you don't want to, but you do need to weigh solid foods on a digital scale and measure liquids with measuring spoons/cups for the best calorie counting success.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

With your current stats you really should aim for 1lb a week.

You increase your calories by eating what you want but measured/weighed accurately.

for example have your pasta but weigh out the 85gram serving and log it...cook it...eat it. See that easy.

The only thing you need to worry about is calories the rest is for health and body composition.
  • Carolyn1965032017
    Carolyn1965032017 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Possibly add more protein instead of adding carbs and fats.
    Is the 26lb to loose at 2lb a week your goal or what MFP had said is achievable?
    It'd be best to up your exercising and calories and lower your weight loss to 1lb a week.
    And at 5ft 7" your eating way below maintenance which in the long term might not last.
    Slow, steady progress and the weight stays off.
    It's a lifestyle not a race.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

Congrats on the 2 pounds! Now just "cutting out" the sugar foods and those that turn to sugar faster, is one thing, but then an "add in" is needed. Again - 800 calories a day isn't enough for long periods of time. What Are the 800 calories consisting of?
    How can you increase calories without carbs? Healthy fats, oils, and proteins. What are those? Protein is meats, eggs, cottage cheese.... google is your friend for idea's.
    Healthy fats. almonds, walnuts, pecans, avocodo, avocodo oil for making veggies or olive oil.
    Veggies - eat up!
    Are you making most of your meals at home? What is a typical day?
    Keep drinking that water too.

Ask away with more questions.
    Those that quit, quite because of the biggest factors
    Lack of Understanding of food groups and what is best for them
    Cutting calories too deep, not sustainable, and gives in to cravings after 2 weeks
    Looks at this as a "diet" Not a Lifestyle change.
    Zero exercise. Keep moving! Or too much exercise up front, then sore, tired, hungry and 'not fun'.
    Find a workout program that Fits Your Life, and is fun, or somewhat fun. That keeps people going.
    Routines!

Good luck!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

With your current stats you really should aim for 1lb a week.

You increase your calories by eating what you want but measured/weighed accurately.

for example have your pasta but weigh out the 85gram serving and log it...cook it...eat it. See that easy.

The only thing you need to worry about is calories the rest is for health and body composition.

^^^^^

A pound a week looks the most reasonable looking at your (OP) stats. I didn't adjust for age, but that should give you 1300 or so at least to eat - add more for exercise or regular activity.

Now, at a pound per week, your fluctuations will be greater, sometimes several times greater in one day than your weight loss goal is in one week. Unfortunately that means you may get masked (or exaggerated) weight loss indications on your scale.

Don't trust your scale. Trust your process. If you are measuring accurately, time and trend are your friends. You can't get around that.