IF beginner: 24 hours or 36 hours?

Options
Is it safe to fast more than 24 hours? I remember read it somewhere that it's not recommended to go over 24 hours for a beginner. But at the end of 24 hours period, I feel I could keep going for a bit longer - if there is any significant benefit to do that :)

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    what are you trying to accomplish? calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight so whether you fast for 24 or 36 hours - it is how much you eating during the eating times that will determine weight loss.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And when you say 'fast' what exactly does that mean? And, as above, what are you trying to accomplish by fasting, if other than for religious purposes?

There's no magic in when you eat or don't eat. Meal timing is irrelevant for weight management. :)
  • Holly2233
    Holly2233 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What is IF?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Holly2233 wrote: »
    What is IF?

intermittent fasting
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Give it a go. 36 hours isn't that much more than 24 hours if you've done that already. Obviously if you are working out during those fasting days, make sure to take it easier but I've tried a couple fasts for about that time and it was actually really mentally calming to be able to not eat and just relax with no food.

Edit: I remember reading a study that showed that your metabolic rate did not decrease at all until the 36 hour mark where it began to slowly lower and returned to normal after refeeding.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Give it a go. 36 hours isn't that much more than 24 hours if you've done that already. Obviously if you are working out during those fasting days, make sure to take it easier but I've tried a couple fasts for about that time and it was actually really mentally calming to be able to not eat and just relax with no food.

Edit: I remember reading a study that showed that your metabolic rate did not decrease at all until the 36 hour mark where it began to slowly lower and returned to normal after refeeding.

The key, however, is what happens on the next non-fast day? It's very easy to overindulge after basically having starved yourself and completely undo any caloric deficit 'benefit' derived from the fast. :)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

There's no magic in when you eat or don't eat. Meal timing is irrelevant for weight management. :)

Eh..it's the magic in my approach though. I eat non appetizing foods in pre-hungry time so the out of control hungry time would never come. That's how it is easy to create a deficit for me. Does the idea make sense to you? Non appetizing food, preemptive eating.

• julie20170512
    julie20170512 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info on metabolic rate. I will probably try 36 hours next time, as long as it doesn't effect my sleep!
  • Rammer123
    Options

The key, however, is what happens on the next non-fast day? It's very easy to overindulge after basically having starved yourself and completely undo any caloric deficit 'benefit' derived from the fast. :)

For that reason I wouldn't really do the fast to save up calories. For me it was more of just having control of my emotions about eating and just giving me a little "cleanse" (I know everyone hates that) to be able to mentally get myself excited about cutting and sort of get rid of any cravings and things like that because I was concentrated on the fast.

I do it for the mental benefit rather than the health benefits.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

Eh..it's the magic in my approach though. I eat non appetizing foods in pre-hungry time so the out of control hungry time would never come. That's how it is easy to create a deficit for me. Does the idea make sense to you? Non appetizing food, preemptive eating.

I would never waste calories on non appetizing food, so... ;)

And I would never waste mental and physical energy, time on constantly managing foods. ;)

Actually when I have winded up enough deficit, I will eat like a king in other time so to speak.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

I would never waste calories on non appetizing food, so... ;)

And I would never waste mental and physical energy, time on constantly managing foods. ;)

Actually when I have winded up enough deficit, I will eat like a king in other time so to speak.

To each their own. :)
  • Rammer123
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks for the info on metabolic rate. I will probably try 36 hours next time, as long as it doesn't effect my sleep!

I would like to actually see this 'info.' Taking someone's word for it without seeing the science (if any) behind it just because it's what you'd like to hear is shortsighted and can be dangerous. :)

Haha I agree, I actually just did a quick search to find something and found this. Actually says that metabolism speeds up around 36 hours and at 72 hours is at the same level as at 12 hours into the fast.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8172872

Edit: It also shows that at 12 hours they were burning about 66% of calories from fat, at 36 hours they were burning about 80% calories from fat and at 72 hours it was about 93% calories from fat.
  • julie20170512
    Options

I would like to actually see this 'info.' Taking someone's word for it without seeing the science (if any) behind it just because it's what you'd like to hear is shortsighted and can be dangerous. :)

Haha I agree, I actually just did a quick search to find something and found this. Actually says that metabolism speeds up around 36 hours and at 72 hours is at the same level as at 12 hours into the fast.

Edit: It also shows that at 12 hours they were burning about 66% of calories from fat, at 36 hours they were burning about 80% calories from fat and at 72 hours it was about 93% calories from fat.

Interesting! I will probably try a 3-4 days fast after Christmas season.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Interesting! I will probably try a 3-4 days fast after Christmas season.

I would advise against that without checking with your doctor.
  • julie20170512
    Options
    And when you say 'fast' what exactly does that mean? And, as above, what are you trying to accomplish by fasting, if other than for religious purposes?

For me, IF is a very effective method to manage my food intakes. I fast one day a week, and the rest of week I eat 1200cal + all exercise cals, no struggle with food cravings.