Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    editour wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    Im kind of skeptical tho.... can i actually be able to run 5km at the end of the program? Time will only tell I guess.

probably not. You WILL however be able to run continuously for 30 minutes or so. Don't try and target distance at this time, just go with slowly building endurance.

Run as the programme has it - don't run consecutive days. And run slower than you ever thought could constitute running. And then run slower than that. Keep your steps short but quick. You should be able to sing and run at the same time. Believe me, it's better to build endurance than to try and get to a distance goal at this stage.

Question for people with more experience in running: how slow is slow? I am doing C25K on the treadmill and have been curious if I am going too slow or should be going slower...tomorrow is week 5 day 1 for me. I average about 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

I started faster than that, and ended up slowing down to 4 mph. I can walk at that speed. I'm 6' if that matters.

I'm trying to better my speed now.

Hey there, I am a long time running coach and currently actually coaching a Run to Quit group for people who are aiming to quit smoking (and replace a bad habit with a new one).

The biggest mistake most novice runners is that they go too fast and literally burn themselves out or suffer an injury.

Think of the speed you should be doing as a Conversational pace...i.e. most of your runs should be at a pace where you are still able to talk in phrases or full sentences. If you can't talk, and are huffing and puffing... you are going a little bit too fast so slow down. The object of your initial training should be to build up a decent base not beat the Kenyans to the finish line. :smiley: . Speed will come later and as a matter of training.

The other analogy we use is that of building a house. Start with the Foundation first. If you don't have a strong foundation, something is gonna collapse. The walls (strength training (for example hills) and roof (speedwork) come much later and once you are ready.

I run most of my runs (and I run daily) at a leisurely 11 minute mile (around 7 min/KM). One day per week, I will either do hills or speed work (and not both...but do throw in some periodic Fartleks ) For me, race pace is a 9 minute mile.

PS. You may be a runner if you can look at the word Fartlek and not burst out laughing. :wink:

Cheers,

Is that the Bombers logo I see?

And I'm just trying to get under 30 mins for 5K.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im kind of skeptical tho.... can i actually be able to run 5km at the end of the program? Time will only tell I guess.

probably not. You WILL however be able to run continuously for 30 minutes or so. Don't try and target distance at this time, just go with slowly building endurance.

Run as the programme has it - don't run consecutive days. And run slower than you ever thought could constitute running. And then run slower than that. Keep your steps short but quick. You should be able to sing and run at the same time. Believe me, it's better to build endurance than to try and get to a distance goal at this stage.

Question for people with more experience in running: how slow is slow? I am doing C25K on the treadmill and have been curious if I am going too slow or should be going slower...tomorrow is week 5 day 1 for me. I average about 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

I started faster than that, and ended up slowing down to 4 mph. I can walk at that speed. I'm 6' if that matters.

Hey there, I am a long time running coach and currently actually coaching a Run to Quit group for people who are aiming to quit smoking (and replace a bad habit with a new one).

The biggest mistake most novice runners is that they go too fast and literally burn themselves out or suffer an injury.

Think of the speed you should be doing as a Conversational pace...i.e. most of your runs should be at a pace where you are still able to talk in phrases or full sentences. If you can't talk, and are huffing and puffing... you are going a little bit too fast so slow down. The object of your initial training should be to build up a decent base not beat the Kenyans to the finish line. :smiley: . Speed will come later and as a matter of training.

The other analogy we use is that of building a house. Start with the Foundation first. If you don't have a strong foundation, something is gonna collapse. The walls (strength training (for example hills) and roof (speedwork) come much later and once you are ready.

I run most of my runs (and I run daily) at a leisurely 11 minute mile (around 7 min/KM). One day per week, I will either do hills or speed work (and not both...but do throw in some periodic Fartleks ) For me, race pace is a 9 minute mile.

PS. You may be a runner if you can look at the word Fartlek and not burst out laughing. :wink:

Cheers,

Yup... Go Bombers! And 30 minutes for a 5K is quite respectable.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was Week 4 Day 1 for me. I was afraid of those 3 minute intervals but I did it!
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Started this morning. It was tough getting up at 5:30 a.m. to run before work. But I did it! Also I just turned 61 this year. Some people have been telling me I'm to old to start running. Any body else starting late in life? I'll be retiring next year and want to be in good health to start the next journey of my life.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BIRT1956 wrote: »
    Started this morning. It was tough getting up at 5:30 a.m. to run before work. But I did it! Also I just turned 61 this year. Some people have been telling me I'm to old to start running. Any body else starting late in life? I'll be retiring next year and want to be in good health to start the next journey of my life.

I have a friend who is 75... he just ran his 75th Full Marathon. He started running at 65 when he retired. Its often times not about how much you run, but how smart you run. I have another friend who completed her last half marathon just shy of her 89th birthday.

Age is a number not a limitation.

Go for it!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Cheers,

Yup... Go Bombers! And 30 minutes for a 5K is quite respectable.

Yeah, not there yet. 35:06 is my best so far (parkrun). Also had to google Fartlek.

Still ticked the pre-season game against the Riders wasn't on TSN. Maybe this is our year. Of course I've been saying that for decades. We have not won the GC since I got married 26 years ago, so it's all my fault.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Someone asked what to do on off days - strength training! Lifting heavy weights made running much easier for me when I was starting running for the second time. Squats and lunges are great for runners specifically.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Was 51 when I did the C25K.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    To address whether you can run a 5K at the end: It is true that if you follow the timed program, you'll finish running 30 minutes straight, which is not long enough for most beginners to run a 5K. BUT, I had a race scheduled during week 8 and I was able to run the entire 5K. I just didn't run it in 30 minutes. My time was 35:41.

So, yes, the program ends at 30 minutes, which is very unlikely to be 5K. But you are still probably able to do the full 5K if you challenge yourself it do it. I went back to the program as usual after the race (though I did count it as a program run!). I graduated last week and am slowly increasing mileage with a plan to start a bridge to 10K in the next couple of weeks.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    To address whether you can run a 5K at the end: It is true that if you follow the timed program, you'll finish running 30 minutes straight, which is not long enough for most beginners to run a 5K. BUT, I had a race scheduled during week 8 and I was able to run the entire 5K. I just didn't run it in 30 minutes. My time was 35:41.

So, yes, the program ends at 30 minutes, which is very unlikely to be 5K. But you are still probably able to do the full 5K if you challenge yourself it do it. I went back to the program as usual after the race (though I did count it as a program run!). I graduated last week and am slowly increasing mileage with a plan to start a bridge to 10K in the next couple of weeks.

Raceday Mojo will get you through the rest...
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Raceday Mojo will get you through the rest...

The Mojo is some seriously powerful stuff.
  • pkeiter42
    pkeiter42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Week 7 for me.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I'm 50 and completed C25K in Feb. I was in terrible shape and obese when I started. I have done 3 races and am now running between 4 and 5 miles 3X a week and have lost over 40 lbs. I have goal to run a 10K race this fall. As long as you take it slow and have rest days between runs you should do fine. It's never too late to start living healthy.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well done guys! I started the C25K in spring last year. I found it really challenging but I learned a lot. I'm now training for my first Marathon and ran 25K last Saturday. Keep going, it really works and you'll be amazed what you can achieve. (Also, for the record, I started at 16 stone!)
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I didn't go for a run today, and it's raining all week
  • Mahdi22
    Options
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    :|
  • stacypepp
    stacypepp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Completed W7:D2 this morning and have noticed steady increases in my speed over the past couple of weeks. Finally hit a sub-12 minute pace today. I cross train on the off days with Jazzercise or walking. I never thought I would enjoy running as much as I am!
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    Great job. Ur so close to the 2 month mark!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My son and I completed the C25K yesterday. 30-minute run/plod/jog/whatever you want to call it. We did it!

Unfortunately nowhere near the 5K, more like 3K so we are going to continue our workouts, adding a couple of minutes to each one until we reach the 5K, and then work on the speed aspect. Then ParkRuns, here we come!

(I still don't consider myself a runner though).