Can I accidentally bulk?

Options
Okay I admit I did a little "click-baity" thing.

But I've at least gotten my gym routine back where I am lifting heavy. Walking as cardio.
My eating is still pretty out of control so as long as I'm eating at a surplus.. can I expect recomp? sumo wrestler bod?

Yes my goal is to get it under control but what if I don't?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a surplus of calories and lifting you will put on both muscle and fat...the bigger the surplus, the more fat you'll put on.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're eating a surplus of calories and lifting you will put on both muscle and fat...the bigger the surplus, the more fat you'll put on.
    Makes sense.
    Was kind of hoping for a butt with these added squats.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Makes sense.

It's not that you're not going to get a butt, it's that while eating a surplus you can't expect to put on all muscle even when you're doing a lot of heavy lifting. Otherwise a "sumo wrestler bod" would be like Arnold in his prime. They do a tremendous amount of exercise every day, but clearly much of their weight is not muscle. (Much more of it is muscle than you might think, though, and their BF% is nowhere near as high as you'd think. Sorry, but you've run into the one sumo fan on this site.)

This is why bodybuilders go through cycles of bulk and cut. Bulking builds the muscle and adds fat; cutting reduces the fact while preserving much of the muscle.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Makes sense.

It's not that you're not going to get a butt, it's that while eating a surplus you can't expect to put on all muscle even when you're lifting heavy every day. Otherwise a "sumo wrestler bod" would be like Arnold in his prime. They do a tremendous amount of exercise every day, but clearly much of their weight is not muscle. (Much more of it is muscle than you might think, though, and their BF% is nowhere near as high as you'd think. Sorry, but you've run into the one sumo fan on this site.)

This is why bodybuilders go through cycles of bulk and cut. Bulking builds the muscle and adds fat; cutting reduces the fact while preserving much of the muscle.
    Haha, well hey no offense. Thanks for your input.
    I will have to cut my calories down for my muscle to start showing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can put on some muscle but depending on how much extra you are taking in as well as your current bodyfat % can affect how much fat vs muscle you gain.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Today I'm at 500cal over(and this is a good day). I will try harder tomorrow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Today I'm at 500cal over(and this is a good day). I will try harder tomorrow.

Over maintenance or over your deficit?
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Technically my base is 1200 but Fitbit gave me 700 more for gym and walking(it's usually spot on and I've lost before using those numbers) But yeah I'm at 2400 intake today.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Technically my base is 1200 but Fitbit gave me 700 more for gym and walking(it's usually spot on and I've lost before using those numbers) But yeah I'm at 2400 intake today.

So maintenance then
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

So maintenance then
    You going anywhere with this?

• TavistockToad
    Options

So maintenance then

Just pointing out that you have eaten at maintenance...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

So maintenance then

just pointing out that you're eating maintenance...most people wouldn't call maintenance level of calories "out of control"...

when you said your eating was out of control, most of us assumed you were eating well above maintenance...
  • llaurenmarie
    edited June 2017
    Options

So maintenance then
    just pointing out that you're eating maintenance...most people wouldn't call maintenance level of calories "out of control"...

when you said your eating was out of control, most of us assumed you were eating well above maintenance...
    Gotcha, no most days are way more than that. Probably 4k? But yeah I wanna reel it in and maybe have something to show for my lifting.
    I said out of control because I'm on a medication that makes me have crazing cravings and I really do feel out of control.

• llaurenmarie
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    I have done all my bulking while "trying" to maintain or lose weight. Turned out I liked eating and heavy lifting much more than I cared about getting smaller. And yes, my butt got pretty great from all the squats and food! How did you choose 1200 as a calorie goal anyway? That may be too low and set you up for constant "failure" when really you're probably eating close to what you should in order to fuel performance of any kind.
    I didn't really choose it. Have been very up and down with being on or off the wagon. It helped me for about two weeks then I binged again. Can't really get a handle on it.

• TavistockToad
    Options
    I have done all my bulking while "trying" to maintain or lose weight. Turned out I liked eating and heavy lifting much more than I cared about getting smaller. And yes, my butt got pretty great from all the squats and food! How did you choose 1200 as a calorie goal anyway? That may be too low and set you up for constant "failure" when really you're probably eating close to what you should in order to fuel performance of any kind.
    I didn't really choose it. Have been very up and down with being on or off the wagon. It helped me for about two weeks then I binged again. Can't really get a handle on it.

Try sticking to maintenance for a few weeks and then reduce your cals by 50 a week
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

Try sticking to maintenance for a few weeks and then reduce your cals by 50 a week
    Thank you. This seems more practical than trying to lose fast.

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't take creatine.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't take creatine.

What is that? Lol
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I "accidentally" bulked.
    I had gained a lot of weight, started lifting, and kept on gaining for a year or so. I think I gained around 30 lbs that year, and maybe 5 lbs of it was muscle. I looked awful.
    So I wouldn't really recommend it.....
    By the time I lose all the extra body fat I'll probably lose a fair amount of that muscle in the process.