Post dinner snacking

My downfall is the battle (I often lose) for snacking / picking / treats after dinner of an evening whilst watching TV or relaxing! Any advice on this...?

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I just don't keep them in the house now, and I have a load of sugar free sweets which have, er, severe consequences if I pig out on them!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Make room for them...plan them into your day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I just leave room for them in my calorie budget.

I really really like having something sweet at the end of the day. I'm not giving that up.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2017
    I drink decaf green tea instead, snacking at night was a bad habit I had to break.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    I do it every day because I love it. I just budget a couple hundo calories to devote to it and choose my snacks well.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That part. I intentionally eat less during the day so that I can have my after dinner snacks.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    I eat less during the workday so I can eat more during the evening!

I try to save at least 900-1000 calories for dinner, dessert and snacks.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    I eat 6 cups of popcorn (.25 unpopped air pop) and it lasts me ALL night, and for only 226 calories......

I make room for it in my calorie counts, and it is the action of grazing that keeps me busy and happy in the evening :)

• infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    I don't keep snacks in the house. Even if I did, my husband would probably eat it first. Maybe it's the fact that I have a toddler to constantly run around behind, but I don't have much time to veg out and snack. At least I have my Halo Top.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I like to have two small protein brownies with a cup of milk every night. Or Haägen Daas Raspberry Sorbet. So I leave space for them in my budget. You can have whatever you want...you just have to leave enough extra calories or exercise more for that treat.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I leave over some calories for a post-supper snack. Sometimes, I'd been planning on having dessert and I decide to eat it later. Sometimes, it's popcorn or cold cereal. Or a veggie dog, if I need more protein/iron.
  • russianrussett
    russianrussett Posts: 14 Member
    I always crave salt and sugar, especially since I've cut down on sugar and carbs, so I snack on cucumbers with lemon juice on top and a small glass of skim milk !
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Decide if you want to keep it as a habit/activity. If so, budget it in. If not, find something else to do with your hands, don't have stuff around, if possible, substitute calorie-free (or low cal) beverages.

I have a little something extra immediately after dinner if I have the calories, but dislike snacking and don't -- for me it's mindless eating that I don't appreciate enough to be worth the calories and I'd rather use the calories at meals. But that's just personal preference.

I'm never tempted to eat in the evening because I eat dinner super late, also, but I know that doesn't work for lots of people.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    pre long your foods then make changes in the day if you want to fit something in
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Ok this might sound dumb, but maybe eat a bigger dinner? If I'm full I'm way less likely to want substantial snacks, I can stick with just a couple of bits of dark chocolate that way.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I agree with pre logging it to see if you can fit it in!
    I leave room for snacks. I snack around 3 pm (before commuting home) and I snack after dinner. Mostly just popcorn, dark chocolate, and sometime fruit.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    This is one of the reasons that I've switched to intermittent fasting on 3-4 days a week. I really my evening snacks. If I save my calories for the evening, I feel more satisfied. I don't like breakfast anyhow and I'm often too busy at work to even worry about lunch, so for me, it's working really well to have my eating "window" between 5pm - 10pm. Often I will just have a granola bar on my drive home so that I can take the edge off while cooking dinner. I'm finding that I'm enjoying my evening meals more and if I want to snack, I often have the calorie room to enjoy it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Just plan a particular snack between dinner and bed. Figure how close to bedtime you want it, and just have it.
  • sculls79
    sculls79 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks :) I think I may have set my calorie target too low as I don't seem to have room to budget for treats really which I imagine is not ideal!

I like the idea of green tea / herbal tea that has worked for me before!

I think I may allow myself to budget it in a couple of times a week :) I can't really exercise other than walking at the moment as my son is 3 weeks old :)
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby!
  • sculls79
    sculls79 Posts: 18 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby!

Ahhh thank you :)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member

If I plan snacks, they often lose their appeal.

The other day I was very willing to drive a long distance and bought a boatload of Greek pastries. Enjoyed them so much that time but after that the left over (over half of the amount ) has been sitting in the fridge and I just don't feel like "wasting" my calories on them.

I think the nature of snacks is they're only good with spontaneity. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited June 2017

The other day I was very willing to drive a long distance and bought a boatload of Greek pastries. Enjoyed them so much that time but after that the left over (over half of the amount ) has been sitting in the fridge and I just don't feel like "wasting" my calories on them.

By plan I mean just allow for some extra calories for that kind of stuff. If you know you're going to do it every night, you might as well just leave some calories there for it.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    I created a habit of making a cup of hot tea when I'm done for the day and about to sit down and relax. It's made a huge difference for me as I like to have something if I'm watching TV.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member

How the heck do you figure out macros for greek pastries? My problem is that I'm afraid to eat anything that doesn't have a nutritional label on it.
  • waffle944
    waffle944 Posts: 13 Member
    Not sure if it will help you, but I set a simple rule to not eat anything after a certain time (usually 8 pm). Sometimes I'll remember this and eat something right before the time, but won't eat anything after 8. Even if I do snack on something right after dinner before 8 pm, if I just tell myself no food after 8, it prevents me from doing all the late-night snacking I used to do.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member

How the heck do you figure out macros for greek pastries? My problem is that I'm afraid to eat anything that doesn't have a nutritional label on it.

Sorry I'm not much of help here. I just know these pastries I got were made from flour, ground nuts and tons of sugar, butter, cream cheese and honey.

I think you should be OK eating a couple squares of baklava Don't let your afraid ruin the experience. :)