Post dinner snacking

Options
My downfall is the battle (I often lose) for snacking / picking / treats after dinner of an evening whilst watching TV or relaxing! Any advice on this...?

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just don't keep them in the house now, and I have a load of sugar free sweets which have, er, severe consequences if I pig out on them!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Make room for them...plan them into your day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just leave room for them in my calorie budget.

I really really like having something sweet at the end of the day. I'm not giving that up.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I drink decaf green tea instead, snacking at night was a bad habit I had to break.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I do it every day because I love it. I just budget a couple hundo calories to devote to it and choose my snacks well.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Make room for them...plan them into your day.

That part. I intentionally eat less during the day so that I can have my after dinner snacks.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the workday so I can eat more during the evening!

I try to save at least 900-1000 calories for dinner, dessert and snacks.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 cups of popcorn (.25 unpopped air pop) and it lasts me ALL night, and for only 226 calories......

I make room for it in my calorie counts, and it is the action of grazing that keeps me busy and happy in the evening :)

• infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't keep snacks in the house. Even if I did, my husband would probably eat it first. Maybe it's the fact that I have a toddler to constantly run around behind, but I don't have much time to veg out and snack. At least I have my Halo Top.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I like to have two small protein brownies with a cup of milk every night. Or Haägen Daas Raspberry Sorbet. So I leave space for them in my budget. You can have whatever you want...you just have to leave enough extra calories or exercise more for that treat.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I leave over some calories for a post-supper snack. Sometimes, I'd been planning on having dessert and I decide to eat it later. Sometimes, it's popcorn or cold cereal. Or a veggie dog, if I need more protein/iron.
  • russianrussett
    russianrussett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always crave salt and sugar, especially since I've cut down on sugar and carbs, so I snack on cucumbers with lemon juice on top and a small glass of skim milk !
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Decide if you want to keep it as a habit/activity. If so, budget it in. If not, find something else to do with your hands, don't have stuff around, if possible, substitute calorie-free (or low cal) beverages.

I have a little something extra immediately after dinner if I have the calories, but dislike snacking and don't -- for me it's mindless eating that I don't appreciate enough to be worth the calories and I'd rather use the calories at meals. But that's just personal preference.

I'm never tempted to eat in the evening because I eat dinner super late, also, but I know that doesn't work for lots of people.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    pre long your foods then make changes in the day if you want to fit something in
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ok this might sound dumb, but maybe eat a bigger dinner? If I'm full I'm way less likely to want substantial snacks, I can stick with just a couple of bits of dark chocolate that way.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I agree with pre logging it to see if you can fit it in!
    I leave room for snacks. I snack around 3 pm (before commuting home) and I snack after dinner. Mostly just popcorn, dark chocolate, and sometime fruit.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons that I've switched to intermittent fasting on 3-4 days a week. I really my evening snacks. If I save my calories for the evening, I feel more satisfied. I don't like breakfast anyhow and I'm often too busy at work to even worry about lunch, so for me, it's working really well to have my eating "window" between 5pm - 10pm. Often I will just have a granola bar on my drive home so that I can take the edge off while cooking dinner. I'm finding that I'm enjoying my evening meals more and if I want to snack, I often have the calorie room to enjoy it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just plan a particular snack between dinner and bed. Figure how close to bedtime you want it, and just have it.
  • sculls79
    sculls79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I think I may have set my calorie target too low as I don't seem to have room to budget for treats really which I imagine is not ideal!

I like the idea of green tea / herbal tea that has worked for me before!

I think I may allow myself to budget it in a couple of times a week :) I can't really exercise other than walking at the moment as my son is 3 weeks old :)
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby!