Please Help Me Understand :(

Options
Hey everyone, I'm having a little trouble. For the last 3 weeks, I've made drastic changes to my diet with the hopes of losing weight. I started off at 330 lbs and 5'9" (male). I haven't eaten any carbs, processed foods, added sugars in food or drink, have kicked cravings, and mostly eat protein, fruits, and veggies. Unfortunately...I'm yet to notice any change and it's really frustrating. I feel good, but I can't see any results and it just makes me so hopeless and wanting to give up. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to keep going or what to change?

Replies

• robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging your food? You can still over eat even when you eliminate the " bad" foods.
  • yankeesfan299
    yankeesfan299 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yea, I really only eat roughly 800-1100 calories on a day since then. Usually its a banana for breakfast, 4oz chicken breast and veg for lunch, and if I eat dinner it's a little more chicken. I guess I don't have that much of an excessive appetite anymore so that's good.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would recommend buying a food scale if you don't already have one and weighing all your solids and measuring all your liquids.

Cutting out certain foods doesn't mean you can't overeat on others.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Regardless of where they come from, you have to eat fewer that you burn in order to lose fat. You don't mention if you've weighed or measured yourself or not - sometimes it can take a month or more and 15-20 pounds lost for you to notice a difference in your clothes or in the mirror. Also, you say that you feel good - isn't that a positive difference?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you logging accurately and consistently (including beverages) and hitting your calorie goal?

When you say "no results" have you lost any weight in the 3 weeks?

It doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how many calories. You can overeat protein fruits and veggies. So hitting your calorie goal is the key!
  • yankeesfan299
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Are you logging accurately and consistently (including beverages) and hitting your calorie goal?

When you say "no results" have you lost any weight in the 3 weeks?

It doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how many calories. You can overeat protein fruits and veggies. So hitting your calorie goal is the key!

And yes, it's frustrating because I know for sure I'm not overeating and I literally have had only water for the last month haha. Idk, I guess I'll just have to give it more time.
  • yankeesfan299
    Options
    Yea, I really only eat roughly 800-1100 calories on a day since then. Usually its a banana for breakfast, 4oz chicken breast and veg for lunch, and if I eat dinner it's a little more chicken. I guess I don't have that much of an excessive appetite anymore so that's good.

So this is going to be a bit blunt. There is NO WAY that's all you've been eating for 3 weeks. That's not enough food for a toddler, and you are a 330 lb man.
    1. Get a food scale.
    2. Start logging your food accurately and consistently and hit your calorie goal.
    3. There is nothing "good" about a grown man eating 800 cals a day, but if you really were you would be fatigued and dropping weight.
    4. You can eat a wide variety of foods, you don't have to just eat chicken, fruit, and veg.
    5. If you are legit only eating a few oz of chicken, a banana, and some veg every day for 3 weeks and can't eat anymore, you need to go to the doctor ASAP.

I can assure you that's all I eat. Sometimes fish or pork instead of chicken but everything else is the same.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

So this is going to be a bit blunt. There is NO WAY that's all you've been eating for 3 weeks. That's not enough food for a toddler, and you are a 330 lb man.
    1. Get a food scale.
    2. Start logging your food accurately and consistently and hit your calorie goal.
    3. There is nothing "good" about a grown man eating 800 cals a day, but if you really were you would be fatigued and dropping weight.
    4. You can eat a wide variety of foods, you don't have to just eat chicken, fruit, and veg.
    5. If you are legit only eating a few oz of chicken, a banana, and some veg every day for 3 weeks and can't eat anymore, you need to go to the doctor ASAP.

I can assure you that's all I eat. Sometimes fish or pork instead of chicken but everything else is the same.

To be clear, that's all you *think* you eat, unless you are weighing and measuring to the gram and pulling accurate calorie information from a website like the USDA database. Even MFP entries can be super wrong!.

Edit: Packaging information is ALSO commonly incorrect. You have no idea what you're eating unless you're weighing, and if you aren't you are almost assuredly eating much more than you think.

Still - that's not enough, full stop. At your height and weight, you should be eating MUCH more. Did you enter your information and goals into MFP and get a recommendation? A male at half your weight shouldn't consume under 1500/day, much less 800-1100.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

1. Get a food scale.

Well, your diary is closed and you haven't answered any of the questions looking at specifics of how you are measuring your portions or exact calories or if you have lost any weight at all, so I'll have to take your word for it.

You should be eating a MINIMUM of 1500 calories per day. If you are unable to do so, you need to see a doctor as there is something very wrong. And honestly, I would suggest going anyway, because if you are eating 800-1100 cals per day for 3 weeks and haven't lost even a lb, unless there are some serious water weight issues involved, there is something medically wrong.

The only options are either you are not measuring your portions and are eating more than you think (which is very common for new calorie counters), you have a medical condition that requires a doctor's care ASAP, or you are going to hurt yourself.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    What you're eating is really irrelevant for weight loss (although nutrition is another story, of course), what counts is calories in versus calories out. Are you logging every single thing you eat and drink? Are you weighing it to get the exact amount you're actually consuming? Don't trust packaging, don't trust volume measurements.

If you have your stats in MFP, just eat the number of calories it says you should. That's easier said than done, of course, but it WORKS. If the ~1000 kcal you say you're consuming daily is accurate, that is NOT SAFE. Who knows what your body is doing to protect itself?