• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    Week 1, Day 1: done
    Week 1, Day 2: done
    Week 1, Day 3: done
    Week 1, Day 4: done

I've noticed that my left side is much weaker and much stiffer then my right side. I can do cow face with right arm up with no problem, but with left arm I am not even close.
    Same thing with tree pose, on the right I have full motion of leg to the side, but on the left I have at most 70%.
    What do you think should I practice more on the left side to "catch up" with the right?

Most people are more flexible on one side vs the other. My right side is stronger and more flexible than my left. I asked a yoga teacher same question and she said to just keep practicing with both sides per normal. The two sides will progress independently and she said eventually they'll both be at advanced barring any inflexibility caused by old injuries/other issues. She said you can just do one side until it catches up but if you do that, the better side can slide backwards from lack of progress and there is no need to be symmetrical in yoga.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Day 4. Done bright and early today. Still struggling to straigten that leg on grasshopper but determined to get there. On plus side my crow was kicking today.
  • JoanDoyleFit4192
    JoanDoyleFit4192 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Days 2 & 3 done also xx
  • Agkerrick
    Agkerrick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I chose my poses.
    Chaturanga, Cobra and Downward Dog! Once I return from church, I will get started on my poses! So excited.
  • Agkerrick
    Options
    Chaturanga, Cobra and Downward Dog day 1 is complete. Chaturanga may take a bit to actually do correctly. Lol
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    My first attempt at Eka Pada Koundinyasana:
    50921D9B-5BEE-4D6A-83B5-F2D46A1B22BC_zpsmeys3cfp.jpg

Grasshopper might take a while longer.

Managed to hold a handstand long enough to take a screen cap:78DE9E07-5D7B-4D1E-A714-864ECAA1E221_zps9seigguq.jpg

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 5: done

At the moment I am struggling with a pinched C7 nerve that really annoys me. I don't see any contraindications with downward dog nor tree, but I do struggle with cow face pose, although I think it could be beneficial in the long run.

Anyway, great job people!
  • daneejela
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »

Most people are more flexible on one side vs the other. My right side is stronger and more flexible than my left. I asked a yoga teacher same question and she said to just keep practicing with both sides per normal. The two sides will progress independently and she said eventually they'll both be at advanced barring any inflexibility caused by old injuries/other issues. She said you can just do one side until it catches up but if you do that, the better side can slide backwards from lack of progress and there is no need to be symmetrical in yoga.

Thank you for explaining me this! I feel more comfortable now when I know it's a normal thing that other people experience too.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Day 5 done. Crow and half moon ok. Grasshopper...not so much. Will keep trying though!
  • Agkerrick
    Options
    Week 1, day 2 complete. Cobra and Downward Facing Dog were good, Chaturanga is not as easy as it looked. Sore muscles.
  • daneejela
    Options
    Week 1, Day 6: done

I can already see a progress in the tree pose which feels great. Downward dog I am not sure if I am doing it correctly since it's harder to check myself in that pose.
    Cow face I needed to skip this morning due to that neck issue.
  • daneejela
    Options
    @Agkerrick I think Chaturanga is very challenging post requiring lots of upper body strength...so no wonder you have sore muscles :) Keep going, I would be very proud if someone from this challenge masters Chaturanga :D
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Day 6 completed. May not be able to master grasshopper during the challenge. Thinking back it took me three years to get the hang of crow. But that's ok. I'm glad I started trying it. I can do a scrunched up version..it's just getting that one leg straight where I lose my balance. I might have had it for a split second... hope everyone's enjoying this as much as I am. ;)
  • daneejela
    Options
    Week 1, Day 6: done
    Week 1, Day 7: done

Oh, it's already a week :)

@Macy9336 so glad to hear that you're enjoying it also. I totally fell in love with tree pose that I catch myself doing it in the shower and in similar unexpected places :D I am kinda becoming a stork :D
    The only thing that's giving me hard time is my neck so I am still skipping a cow face pose because I am scared of injury.
    Don't worry about mastering the pose during challenge, your poses are really challenging, the most important is putting effort and becoming better every day. :)
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 135 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If it's not too late to join, I'd like to give this a whirl. I would love to be more flexible like I use to be and I think this is right up my alley. I need to try yoga again and the poses that I'm picking I think will be a good stretch for my back and also not diving into yoga head first. The poses I'm picking are the seated spinal twist, the seated mountain pose, and the seated side bend. Those are probably gonna feel so good while stretching my back after work. I'm on my feet all day and standing long periods of time gives me a backache, *sighs* but that's the life of a retail worker. If it is too late, that's okay. Just please let me know when the next round begins. I'm definitely interested in this.
  • daneejela
    Options
    @PinUpGirlAtHeart welcome! :) I'll put next round when this one is done, i.e. in one week, but you can join in now for a shorter version of one week. If that would feel too short, you can just continue with your three poses in the next round. Great poses for a back stretch!
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Day 7 done and dusted! I can feel my arms are stronger and my balance is improving.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    @daneejela Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll just continue with these three into the next round. I think these will help me through the long work stretch ahead of me. v_v It's gonna be the longest I've had in a extremely long time. Not looking forward to it. These yoga poses should help relax me and get me through it or at least I hope so.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1 was completed. Sorry for not posting it earlier. That seated twist was hard for me because of my weight. It'll get better, though.
  • daneejela
    Options
    Week 2, Day 1: done