Bad habits

Options
I've been having a problem with my "diet" although, actually, the problem is not so much with the "diet" as the habit of eating. I've come to realise that it is similar to the issues that I faced with smoking more than 10 years ago.

I gave up smoking, and gave up again, and again ... (you get the idea)! Each time I failed I just went back to normal smoking (20 or so a day) and beat myself up for being a failure.

Then I decided, OK, so you're a smoker, you'll just have to live with it. From that time I continued smoking, I didn't try to 'give up', I just celebrated occasionally when I wanted a cigarette but didn't have one that particular minute. I haven't had a cigarette for over 10 years now.

Maybe changing my eating habits is the same. Eating, to me, is habit - just as smoking was. So from now on I'm not 'dieting'. I'm going to set my goals on MFP to maintain (I don't want to put more on) but I'm not going to beat myself up if I go over on calories. I've also started introducing a short (1/2 km) walk about 3 times a day so I'm moving a bit more - but not enough to make me ache. When I occasionally pass up a piece of cake or a bar of chocolate, I'll celebrate. But now, it's just an awareness of my eating rather than having to stick to a 'diet'.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The way we talk to ourselves, is important. Talk to yourself the way you would talk to anyone you like and respect: Be polite, friendly, honest, calm.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    How did you give up smoking? I would love to quit without meds. I am starting to exercise again and I'm afraid of causing my body more harm; stroke, heart attack, etc...
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    NettieBess wrote: »
    Maybe changing my eating habits is the same. Eating, to me, is habit - just as smoking was. So from now on I'm not 'dieting'. I'm going to set my goals on MFP to maintain (I don't want to put more on) but I'm not going to beat myself up if I go over on calories.

I was never a smoker, thankfully, but I have done the same thing with my goals on MFP. When I felt like I was putting too much pressure on myself I put my goal to maintain, and then celebrated any time that I had green numbers at the end of the day - meaning I ate at a deficit but didn't stress how much of a deficit. If it was red I tried not to beat myself up.

I lost very slowly, but it worked out so much better than the way I was doing it before, and I've been able to (mostly) keep it off. I didn't even really notice how much weight I lost until someone asked me about it. It was awesome to realize I had lost 20 lbs without really realizing, which means it wasn't completely consuming my life like it had been before. I felt good about myself the whole time rather than thinking I had to wait until the end to feel better about myself.

I have MFP set to a deficit now (just 1/2 a lb), but I'm much better about not beating myself up for red numbers - in my head I can do the math and realize most of the time it's still a deficit, just a smaller one than planned. And even when it's not a deficit, I've learned that a few days of maintenance or even over maintenance don't = failure :)

Best of luck to you! <3
  • NettieBess
    NettieBess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    How did you give up smoking? I would love to quit without meds. I am starting to exercise again and I'm afraid of causing my body more harm; stroke, heart attack, etc...

It's not easy and I think most people have to find their own way. I've suffered a lot with depression, including suicidal thoughts so the last thing I needed was failure - and every time I 'gave up', I failed. I read a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". (It lied, there is no easy way!) Some of the psychology of the book stayed with me.

The main thing was, I was kind to myself. I didn't get angry at myself if I had a cigarette. But I did try to avoid them. If I was busy, instead of rushing outside for a few puffs, I'd say OK, when I've finished this task I'll reward myself with a nice relaxing cigarette. Sometimes, by the time I'd finished the task, I'd forgotten the cigarette! I knew how many a day I smoked so I felt good about myself if I smoked a couple less during the day. Basically, I just became more aware of my smoking which meant that I became more aware of whether I really wanted one or if I was just having one because I was mad at someone/something or if I was bored.

I hope you manage to stop smoking Missy. Best of luck to you.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    NettieBess wrote: »
    Missycvt wrote: »

It's not easy and I think most people have to find their own way. I've suffered a lot with depression, including suicidal thoughts so the last thing I needed was failure - and every time I 'gave up', I failed. I read a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". (It lied, there is no easy way!) Some of the psychology of the book stayed with me.

The main thing was, I was kind to myself. I didn't get angry at myself if I had a cigarette. But I did try to avoid them. If I was busy, instead of rushing outside for a few puffs, I'd say OK, when I've finished this task I'll reward myself with a nice relaxing cigarette. Sometimes, by the time I'd finished the task, I'd forgotten the cigarette! I knew how many a day I smoked so I felt good about myself if I smoked a couple less during the day. Basically, I just became more aware of my smoking which meant that I became more aware of whether I really wanted one or if I was just having one because I was mad at someone/something or if I was bored.

I hope you manage to stop smoking Missy. Best of luck to you.

I think this will help you with your weight loss journey as well. Just being aware is a huge thing. Sometimes you cant unsee how many calories are in some foods. and it makes you more aware of what you are putting into your body. The other day I went and got a burger after a long hike with my husband, I ate and enjoyed the burger, I just ordered it without cheese and mayo. It was still a huge calorie bomb, but I felt better about my choice, because I saved some calories and I made a difference compared to what I used to do. You may decide to be more aggressive down the line and thats fine too, but I think just being aware of what you are eating will make a difference in your life.