Is something wrong?

Options
If I do a guided goal. MFP gives me 1500 cal a day. That seems way too low. I am 43, male 218 lbs and work out 5 days a week. Most TDE calculators put me around 2500. 1500 cal would be like a 60% reduction from TDE. Am I wrong?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Mfp is set up so you eat your exercise calories. I eat 2k cals for 2 lb a week loss
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You could change your goal: one pound a week or 1/2 pound a week loss.

Eat your calories. Some people eat 1/2 to 1/3 of their calories -- experiment with one or the
    other for two weeks and then consider making an adjustment to the eating back calories.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you selected a 2lb per week weight loss goal. Depending on your height, that may be too aggressive for how much weight you need to lose. Also, as the poster above stated, MFP doesn't include exercise, so you need to add those on top. Generally MFP (and most other exercise calculators) will over estimate calorie burns, so many people opt for only eating back 50-75% of their exercise calories, giving that a few weeks, then seeing how their weight loss gels with whatever they've set their calorie goal to. If you're losing too fast, increase calories in, if losing too slowly, decrease.

Does that help?
  • westsadave
    westsadave Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to try just below 2000 calories and ignore my exercise. According to my hrm im burning just under 400 cal doing kettle bell swings hiit. Thanks for your replies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    westsadave wrote: »
    If I do a guided goal. MFP gives me 1500 cal a day. That seems way too low. I am 43, male 218 lbs and work out 5 days a week. Most TDE calculators put me around 2500. 1500 cal would be like a 60% reduction from TDE. Am I wrong?

Sounds spot on. If your maintenance is 2500 (from a tdee calculator) then 1500 should ensure you lose 2lb per week.

If you can't hold that high a deficit then go for slower weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to try just below 2000 calories and ignore my exercise. According to my hrm im burning just under 400 cal doing kettle bell swings hiit. Thanks for your replies.

A HRM isnt accurate for that sort of exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

My guess is you put 2 Lbs per week (1,000 calorie per day deficit) which will take you to the floor...for a male that is 1,500 calories. MFP is not a TDEE calculator and if you're setting it up as designed, exercise isn't included in your activity level...you account for it after the fact when you log it and get additional calories to cover that activity.

TDEE calculators would include that activity in your activity level.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

What did you put for a weight loss goal? Decrease it by .5 or 1 pound, and your MFP goal will go up.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    1,000 calorie under tde Multiplied by 7 days =7,000 calories per week. 7,000 divided by 3,000 (cal need to lose a lb) =2.33 lbs in a week.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    robynrae_1 wrote: »
    1,000 calorie under tde Multiplied by 7 days =7,000 calories per week. 7,000 divided by 3,500 (cal need to lose a lb) =2.0 lbs in a week.

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    1500 cals would be a 40% reduction from 2500. You can just change the pounds you want to lose to 1 lb per week if you want to start with a higher number. MFP is counting on you to add in exercise and eat those calories too so when you workout add those in and your allotted calories will go up and you'll end up with more calories to eat.