elliptical vs running?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
I've been reading around about the pros and cons of both but I still can't decide which is right for me. Which would be better for fat loss? Or for toning up?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Depends which would be your preference, the elliptical will be easier on the joints - that's what I found anyway.
    Both work for fat loss and some 'toning'. The best way to gain muscle strength is to do resistance/strength training.
  • misskaykaylott
    misskaykaylott Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im doing both i order a treadmill and go running at the park..hard to juggle sometimes because i have to make time I have to jobs...but i do it...motivation is the to success <3
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is my gym time: 30 mins running on treadmill, then weights. hen my sets are finished I end with 30 mins on the elliptical. Both seem to burn the same amount of cals
  • muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you will actually do!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I've been reading around about the pros and cons of both but I still can't decide which is right for me. Which would be better for fat loss? Or for toning up?

Fat loss happens when you're taking in fewer calories than you expend...what exercise you do or machine you use, etc is pretty irrelevant. Your energy expenditure from exercise is going to be a matter of mass moved over whatever distance and intensity.

Personally, I don't like either but if I were to pick one, it would probably be running as it translates to a sport...the elliptical doesn't really translate to anything other than getting some cardio work in.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fitness level and your joint health as well. The elliptical is easier on your joints than running. The nice thing with running is it gets you outside so it doesn't like your working out. You can change the scenery daily if you want. I like to run different trails and different paths as much as I can just to change things up. When you are out running you can turn it into full body training while your are running. I like to pick up and carry random objects or bring something with me while to add more resistance or use to work my arms or shoulders at the same time. Like in my profile pic I found a small log and decided to carry it on my shoulder for 1.5 miles and change sides and then also carry it in front of me to work my arms. Get creative and always change things up. It makes working out more fun and keeps your body from getting muscle memory and hitting plateaus.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Start slow and see which one you like.

I hurt my knees badly by using the elliptical and I couldn't run at all for over a year. I'm a short woman with short shins and long thighs. I guess I'm outside of the range for which ellipticals are designed.

I only went a mile on the elliptical, and it felt wrong pretty quickly but I was being stubborn and I tried to work through the pain. That was a bad idea.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than none so whatever floats your boat.
    I use to run miles and miles and miles a week but due to multiple injuries (Not running related) I can't run any longer. However, I can do the E-Mach and I get really good burns from it. So whichever fits your grand designs and activity level is best for you.
    As Dory said, "Just keep swimming".....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Start slow and see which one you like.

I hurt my knees badly by using the elliptical and I couldn't run at all for over a year. I'm a short woman with short shins and long thighs. I guess I'm outside of the range for which ellipticals are designed.

I only went a mile on the elliptical, and it felt wrong pretty quickly but I was being stubborn and I tried to work through the pain. That was a bad idea.

There are so many different sizes, shapes, and forms of ellipticals.

IF it's not lifefitness pro. I won't even bother.

But you're absolutely right, If it doesn't fit you, then it's no good.