Better Instant Oatmeal?

Options
I bought some organic whole wheat maple and brown sugar oatmeal (instant) yesterday and didn't read the label as closel as I should have. It is low fat but has a LOT of carbs and the sugar and sodium content is real high. What is the best whole wheat oatmeal (instant preferrable) that would not have so much of the bad stuff? Thanks!

Replies

• GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you mean "whole grain"? Not "whole wheat"? I've never heard of what in oatmeal.

I'd by plain & add sweetner to your taste--honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, whatever. I can be satisfied with much less sweetner than they put in.

Don't know about sodium. I have a texture thing that instant grosses me out, unless I'm camping. Then suddenly it's okay. Strange, but me. I cook regular oats, which as zero sodium 'cuz I don't add any.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of steel cut oats and just heat up as I need it. You can then add whatever you want and control how much it is sweetened and with what you want to sweeten it with. My favourite oatmeal is strawberries, blueberries, honey, cinnamon and a dollop of plain greek yogurt!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad stuff, and oats pretty much are carbs. Oatmeal is a reasonably carby breakfast? No matter what type you get.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you must buy instant oatmeal and you want one already flavored, I believe that Quaker makes one with the word "weight control" on the box. If memory serves me correctly, that one had the lowest sugar count. But any flavored one is probably going to be high on sodium.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oats are chiefly carbs. You improve the profile by adding PB2, whey protein isolate, debittered brewers yeast, egg, or Greek yogurt.

Get yourself a big bag of minute oats. It's just oats.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Minute oats cook up in the microwave in three minutes. Do you need it faster than that?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I just have Quakers Maple and Brown Sugar. 1 minute and done. Not a big breakfast but enough to keep me going for a few hours. It's the only flavour I like. The fat isn't too much at 2g. Sugar at bit high at 12g.

I looked at Quakers high protein version in the store the other day. It has 6 g protein vs. 4. So if I bought it I'd have 10g more for the week (I eat something else on weekends). Was not worth the risk to me of how it would taste so I put it back. One of my co-workers did try it and she made a pretty funny face over it so it soundss like I made the right choice.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Every week I put together 5 days worth of oats to take to the office. In a mason jar I put 1/3 cup of old fashion oats, 2 tsp nuts, 1 T of dried fruit (usually raisins or craisins) and sweetener. I add water and nuke for 1 minute.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, oatmeal is mostly carbs. I like the Quaker High Fiber cinnamon swirl.
  • lexiehtown
    lexiehtown Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Aldi has brown sugar instant steel oats that's awesome. I add flax seed and Brewers yeast to it... It's delicious
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Why punish yourself with instant oats? Those things are crushed to a pulp,regular old Quaker nukes in about 2 minutes and I think you get more for less calories, add your own toppings I like 1/2 a banana and a few nuts,maybe almond butter mixed in
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I prefer dressing up plain rolled oats myself. They cook just as quickly, you can control what goes into them, and the texture is so much better. I'll take 10 minutes on Sunday night and prep all of my portions for the week. When you're ready to eat, add 1 cup of water, microwave for around one minute and 45 seconds, and let stand for 3 minutes before eating.

The recipe I've been grooving on lately is a basic variant on cinnamon raisin. 0.5 cups of oats (dry measure - 150 cals), 10 raisins (negligible calories but call it 20 for this purpose), 1 banana (100-125 cals), sweetener of choice (50 cals), scant pinch of salt, a couple of drops of vanilla extract, and about a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon.

In total, you're looking at about 300 calories of whole grain breakfast goodness depending on what sweetener you use, ready to eat in less than 5 minutes (including advance prep time). Make sure to mash the banana into the final mix as it makes things extra creamy (I freeze bananas when they're getting overripe to use in oatmeal or other cooking applications). The oatmeal is admittedly lacking protein, but you can make that up with subsequent meals.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think any instant oatmeal is going to be really sweet.

I used to eat the little packets and I always got the Quaker maple and brown sugar flavor, but they make one that's called "weight management" or something like that and that one was my favorite. I swear there's more oatmeal in those than the regular packets, for the same calories.

I don't personally like the packets anymore, I think they are too sweet. If I ever want oatneal now I just make it and use a little brown sugar
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    If you must buy instant oatmeal and you want one already flavored, I believe that Quaker makes one with the word "weight control" on the box. If memory serves me correctly, that one had the lowest sugar count. But any flavored one is probably going to be high on sodium.

Weight Control oatmeal has added protein (some soy) and fake sugar. I'm okay with fake sugar, but the soy has a weird taste to me.

Quaker also makes lower sugar varieties, if you make it with milk you would get more protein.

Personally I LOVE the texture of steel cut. I make a big batch in the crockpot & then "sweeten" with mashed banana & cinnamon.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I make my own - 2 T almond flour, 2 T flax seed and 1 T protein powder. Just add hot water - it's low in carbs, high in protein and fiber and filling. It's more like cream of wheat than oatmeal though.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal isn't any more instant than regular oats. I microwave my steelcut oats (from a Scottish farm, so as unprocessed as they come) in 1-2 minutes with milk.
  • bethsumnerfairweather
    Options
    Wow awesome ideas, can't wait to try using regular oats! Thanks everyone!
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like old fashioned Quaker Oats. They cook up in about 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave and I add milk and sugar. Mmmmm delicious!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome ideas, can't wait to try using regular oats! Thanks everyone!

Yeah definitely steer away from the packages. You can still get instant in the big canisters to save time, and they still taste good, but without all the extra sugar. Steer away from generic brands though, and stay with name brand stuff. The generic tends to be more like oat dust than the name brands are and is weak and flavorless.
    But the more expensive, non instant, but only slighty longer cooking ones are going to be more flavorful and hearty.
  • msshelagh
    msshelagh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I prefer to toast my rolled oats. Can be done as a big batch in the oven or by the serving on the stove top. Noticed that they cook up faster and they don't turn into mush as easily. I like my oats with an al dente mouthfeel because the texture makes it a more satisfying chew. Add your mix-ins to your taste.

During the summer I like cold porridges. I mix up my ingredients in a container the night before and it's ready to eat in the morning. No cooking involved! It's a little on the calorie heavy side but it can be made lighter by adjusting down the oats, yogurt, and/or milk.

ou4d5ba90ocv.jpg