Better Instant Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just use regular oats...they nuke pretty quick. I prefer Coach's Oats because they have more of the consistency of steel cut. I usually don't add anything to mine other than some salt and pepper.

Pretty much all of the instant oats I've seen are flavored and are going to have added sugars and whatnot. Even with plain, your carbs are going to be up because oats are pretty much carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cannister oats and adding your own seasonings. Do you know about 'overnight oats'? You add yogurt or whatever and let it sit overnight, which will 'cook' the oats. I add 100 g Greek yogurt, blueberries, and raspberries.

No matter what I add to it, an oat-based meal is too high carb for me so I have this for a bedtime snack instead.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »
    Wow awesome ideas, can't wait to try using regular oats! Thanks everyone!

Yeah definitely steer away from the packages. You can still get instant in the big canisters to save time, and they still taste good, but without all the extra sugar. Steer away from generic brands though, and stay with name brand stuff. The generic tends to be more like oat dust than the name brands are and is weak and flavorless.
    But the more expensive, non instant, but only slighty longer cooking ones are going to be more flavorful and hearty.

Your problem with generic brands might be a regional thing. I've had no issue with store brand cannister oats from Market Basket or Stop & Shop. This is for regular rolled oats, though, not instant.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I prefer regular steel cut oats, which I do in a rice cooker -- I like the consistency. I make them savory or just add berries and maybe some homemade cashew milk. (I don't care for the consistency of rolled oats, but that's just me.)

That said, I know I've had some McCann's and some Bob's Red Mill quick steel cuts (so, instant) at one time or another, and I recall the macros being pretty similar to the regular. The only difference is they are cut up more. I prefer the texture of the regular, like I said, but they are all just oats. (You can get flavored, but that's a different issue.)

Anyway, short answer: all oats will be high carb -- oats are basically carbs, although there's a little protein. But you can get any oats, including instant, without anything added, and that's what I would personally do.
  • Jmatievich
    Jmatievich Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why anyone would use quick oats. They're so over processed. I just put regular oats in a bowl with soy milk, water, whatever, microwave for 2 minutes and let it sit for a few more minutes to thicken while I do other things. That's it. The bowl has to be largish so it doesn't boil over. Just keep an eye on it the first couple times. Then add fruit, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, whatever you like. Just be sure to count, weigh everything!
  • lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do the Quaker instant regular and add sweetener too. Every. Single. Day. It's only 100 calories. Quite a calorie deal if you ask me. Which you didn't. But still....
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Jmatievich wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would use quick oats. They're so over processed. I just put regular oats in a bowl with soy milk, water, whatever, microwave for 2 minutes and let it sit for a few more minutes to thicken while I do other things. That's it. The bowl has to be largish so it doesn't boil over. Just keep an eye on it the first couple times. Then add fruit, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, whatever you like. Just be sure to count, weigh everything!

So over-processed = cut smaller? Interesting. Since they are cut up anyway (for example, "steel cut oats").

This is one explanation: "Our Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats are cut a little smaller than our Regular Steel Cut Oats, making them ready in a scant 5 to 7 minutes."

(I prefer regular, which I cook on the stove or in a rice cooker, but think it's silly to pretend like there's some big difference beyond, perhaps, a textural preference (just like I am not into rolled oats).)
  • waffle944
    waffle944 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just buy normal old fashioned oats (supermarket brand), and add some cinnamon or fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As an aside my co-worker mentioned that all old people eat is oats and I roared with laughter. So true. I have four kinds at home. She was genuinely bewildered. There are that many kinds?
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill gluten free Rolled oatmeal. Love it
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Buy your own old fashioned oats and add to your liking, not only will you control the ingredients but save money as well.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try Quaker old-fashioned Oats and do equal parts Oats and almond milk overnight in the fridge. If you like it warm. Put it in the microwave for a minute before you eat. You can stir in anything, fruit, nuts, protein powder, sweetener. I add in Holy Crap breakfast cereal (Amazon) and it's delicious.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Another old fashioned oats lover here. You get a good amount for 150cals and you can dress it up to your tastes. It's also much, much cheaper to get a big canister of them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Wow awesome ideas, can't wait to try using regular oats! Thanks everyone!

regular oats are around 27g of carbs per 1/2 cup just so you know.They do have some instant ones called powerful oats(they make yogurt and yogurt drinks too) and they have around 28-30 carbs but have 20g of protein in them as well.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

So over-processed = cut smaller? Interesting. Since they are cut up anyway (for example, "steel cut oats").

This is one explanation: "Our Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats are cut a little smaller than our Regular Steel Cut Oats, making them ready in a scant 5 to 7 minutes."

(I prefer regular, which I cook on the stove or in a rice cooker, but think it's silly to pretend like there's some big difference beyond, perhaps, a textural preference (just like I am not into rolled oats).)

It's the texture for me. Instant oats come out like mush, at least with rolled oats you can still salvage a bit of chew on the grain.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's the texture for me. Instant oats come out like mush, at least with rolled oats you can still salvage a bit of chew on the grain.

I actually prefer the texture of quick cook steel cut to rolled oats, although I prefer regular steel cut anyway. I don't find them to be microwaveable in a couple of minutes, as one poster claimed, though -- like I said, I cook on the stove (if in a hurry) or (preferably) use my rice cooker.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I get old fashioned oats. All that other stuff is loaded with sugar and carbs. Totally defeats the purpose of eating oatmeal. I'll make mine with almond milk and add some blueberries. It's really good.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I get old fashioned oats. All that other stuff is loaded with sugar and carbs. Totally defeats the purpose of eating oatmeal. I'll make mine with almond milk and add some blueberries. It's really good.

umm sugar is a carb and carbs are sugar,oats are carbs. you mean added sugar?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    There are lots of oats that are just oats besides "old fashioned oats."

Of course, ALL oatmeal is "loaded" with carbs, as oats are mostly carbs. I wouldn't think that having lots of carbs defeated the purpose of oatmeal, as if you were avoiding carbs you'd choose something else.
  • yancystreet
    yancystreet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bob's red mill instant oats. Boil water, add, wait a minute. I add honey and fruit.