Requesting vacation ideas for brokenhearted

Options

Replies

• einalem504
    einalem504 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jackson Hole looks so awesome and like a super great place to recharge and connect with nature! It's on my bucket list.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    Thanks so far to everyone. I am skeptical about any type of meditation/yoga retreat b/c I have never done that. Even now when I am just resting, my mind drifts away and thinks of Her. The idea of imposed silence doesn't appeal to me. And I have never done yoga - could be good for me, but not sure I want to learn that right now. I am leaning towards road tripping either solo or w/ a friend and hiking + microbrewery hopping. Calorie counting will take a hit or at least my nutrition will for a week most likely. Still got some time to plan so keep the ideas coming. thanks.

hiking and brewery touring sounds like a really great idea actually. I think that's what I'd totally lean towards.

I'm sorry about your heart break!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Get another buddy and head to Vegas! My sister and I are heading out in August for our second "Girls Weekend" and I tell you, it's a blast when it's just the two of us. My husband is headed out for his "Guys Weekend" later in the year.

Catch a show, hit a club, get some bottle service, hit the pool - trust me, you'll have plenty to keep you busy and having fun!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,808 Member
    Options
    Microbrewery hopping in scenic areas made me think of Oregon and Washington, for example:

http://visittheoregoncoast.com/activities/breweries/

http://www.hoppytrailsbeernews.com/roadtrips/tourwa/
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far to everyone. I am skeptical about any type of meditation/yoga retreat b/c I have never done that. Even now when I am just resting, my mind drifts away and thinks of Her. The idea of imposed silence doesn't appeal to me. And I have never done yoga - could be good for me, but not sure I want to learn that right now. I am leaning towards road tripping either solo or w/ a friend and hiking + microbrewery hopping. Calorie counting will take a hit or at least my nutrition will for a week most likely. Still got some time to plan so keep the ideas coming. thanks.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in the Midwest and love nature and breweries, I would highly recommend the Traverse City, Michigan area--they have some amazing breweries and wineries, and drop-dead gorgeous scenery on the Leelenau and Mission Point peninsulas. Jolly Pumpkin and North Peak are two of my favorites, but you have so many others in the state, including Founders and Bells (and if you are driving from the south you can probably hit Three Floyd's in Indiana or any of the Chicago breweries).

http://www.michigan.org/breweries#?c=44.4299:-85.1166:7&tid=62&page=0&pagesize=20&pagetitle=Breweries

But the real attraction is Lake Michigan--Sleeping Bear Dunes is a hauntingly beautiful national park, and that gorgeous blue of Lake Michigan is a balm for your heart and soul. There are many ways to get out on the lake as well, from kayaks and canoes to a cruise on an old-time schooner to chartered fishing excursions to a ferry to the lighthouse on the Manitou Islands, whatever you happen to like.

If you want to get really wild, go further north to Superior. If Michigan is a balm for the wounded heart, Superior will smack your heart upside its head and kick its butt so thoroughly it won't have time to be sad. Outside just had a great article on Superior:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2183826/superiority-complex

Regardless, breweries and nature sound like an excellent prescription for your heartbreak. Best wishes for you as you deal with this aftermath.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It sucks right now, but you're going to make it. It wasn't going to work, and you're actually spared far worse misery from years of struggling out of a bad relationship that would just fail at a far more inconvenient time.

If I was going to go solo touring...I would go to Europe and my plan would be to visit every art museum. You can skip all the tourist stuff, go see the museums and check out all the best works of art in the world...then at night you can go to a club and dance, meet new people, and have a great time.
  • SoulRadiation
    Options
    I would also seriously consider going to Japan and enrolling in the Kodokan to go fight Judo masters for a week...but I think you have to do that a year in advance which probably doesn't fit your schedule.
  • SoulRadiation
    Options
    http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/practice/

Actually...scrap the art idea. I would pursue this. If I were you, I would totally want to go choke somebody and this is the place to go. There's a hostel, and you could also go check out the city and countryside which I bet is pretty cool. There's probably a day trip to go see an awesome Japanese castle you could do.

And most of your time...you can learn how to flip people. You'll love it!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Ibiza.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If finances have you vacationing Stateside you could go for historical. The East coast is the birthplace of our nation (I'm assuming you are American). Pennsylvania is a treasure trove of historical sights with Philadelphia, and the surrounding areas like Valley Forge. You can see the liberty bell, homes of Ben Franklin, as well as many other historical figures. They do an AMAZING July 4th! The Fireworks show at Penn's Landing is out of this world. There will be lots of other exciting things going on in the city over that weekend as well. The food! Well, take a weekend off of dieting, and enjoy a Philly Cheesesteak, and stop in at Reading Terminal and eat. Also, you could take a break from the city action, and head up to Amish Country, and take a deep breath of fresh country air. Nothing more fascinating for folks who don't live out this way than Amish Country with the horse and buggies, and all things Amish. Best part of it all, if you are a budget traveler, historical sights, most of them, are free, as well as most Amish places you'd go to see. A lot of museums here are free, or free on Sunday mornings. There's lots of economical places to stay in this area as well. Grab your walking shoes, because in Philly you'll need them going from historical building, to historical building.

• ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Big Bend National Park, beautiful, quiet and underrated. Or Ireland like someone up above said, that place is amazing.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Ibiza.

and take a pill?
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I love this idea. I might also suggest a road trip to as many MLB baseball parks as you can hit. (I've always wanted to spend a summer in an RV, catching a game in every single MLB park.)
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ibiza.

and take a pill?

So many to choose from! Maybe two or three together...
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ibiza.

and take a pill?

So many to choose from! Maybe two or three together...

I took a pill in Ibiza - Mike Posner
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I am in northern New Jersey
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would suggest something with breath taking views and serenity. That said, it now is up to you what you see as "breath taking and serene".

Usually a tropical setting for me. Beach, white sand, snorkeling.

However, the redwood forest, red rock canyon just outside of las vegas is AMAZING, Yellowstone national park, etc. Hiking alone is amazing for the soul. Whether it is on the beach or in the mountains.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I am in northern New Jersey

if you want solitude, go to the coast of Maine

if you want the opposite, grab a wingman and go to Las Vegas
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »