subs for mayo needed...

Options
Hey, everyone. I need some help. I'm doing okay on calories, but want to cut out some extra fat by cutting mayonnaise down or out of my diet. I don't like mustard, but can't eat a dry sandwich. Can y'all give me ideas for sandwich topping substitutes? Thanks!

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hummus is great on a sandwich!
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    Try plain greek yogurt.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hummus is great on a sandwich!

Beat me to it. Hummus is an excellent sub for mayonnaise. It adds the creaminess that you're looking for.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Low fat mayo? Hummus? Guacamole/Avocado?
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    have you tried lofat miracle whip of fat free? i actually prefer the free kind to the regular. some people cant do miracle whip if they eat mayo, but i can go either way. Ketchup is a good alternative, but its full of sugar (hfcs)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    a peice of laughing cow cheese? It spreads pretty good and tastes really good!
  • ltliddell
    ltliddell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Low fat smooth cottage cheese is yummy too!
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    Fromage frais, cottage cheese, creme freche...
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    avocado/guac, a little bit of evoo and red vinegar, I really love using Italian dressing.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I generally use:

Mashed avocado
    Olive Oil Mayo (40 cals per tbsp)
    Hummus
    Laughing Cow Lite Cheese (a variety of flavors)
    Mustard
    Vinegar
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use light ranch dressing and add some oregano on top of it for sandwiches. Very delicious!
  • MDanielson24
    MDanielson24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Cheese is my new favorite thing to add to sandwiches or wraps... avacado is good too
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use weight watchers salad cream style dressing (uk)
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I really like to use the Laughing Cow cheese, the garlic and herb one. It does a wonderful job of replacing mayo!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Depending on the sandwich, i love hummus and guac (altho calorie wise gauc is still high-but it has good fats in it). Also light mayo or using less mayo? The other thing is a light salad dressing, if you are looking for creaminess a little light salad dressing in your flavor of choice goes a long way.
  • beth_hayden
    beth_hayden Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    lite miracle whip is 20 calories for a tbsp.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I agree with the laughing cow cheese idea as I do that often. For those suggesting avocado or guac, isn't there still a lot of fat in that?
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You said you wanted to cut the fat, so a lot of my recommendations, as well as the recommendations of others, like avocado and hummus, wouldn't necessarily help with that.

Best bet would just be low fat or fat free mayo: low fat is 4g per Tbsp.

And just my opinion, but I don't worry so much about fat anymore since most of mine comes from "healthy" sources. I watch my sugar intake much more closely these days.
  • gemma5536
    gemma5536 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use lighter than light mayo only 14 cals per tablespoon
  • theaimster30
    theaimster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I will put a little creamy Italian dressing on my sandwich with Turkey, cheese, cukes, & tomatoes. It sounds funny, but is really tasty.