Moroccan turkey & Aubergine (Eggplant) Bake

Options
Laura_beau
Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
I just posted this in my blog but more people will see it here:

This is a "skinnified" version of the recipe in this months BBC Good food magazine. I have replaced the lamb mince with minced turkey, replaced the oil with spray olive oil (1 cal per spray), & omitted the red wine and pine nuts... BUT added some crumbled low fat feta cheese to the top in place of the nuts.

This has saved about 250 cals per portion!

N.B You can buy ras el hanout from most UK supermarkets (I know for sure that tesco & morrisons have it), or an ethnic supermarket. If you cant get hold of it you can make a basic version by mixing the following:

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne/ chilli powder

RECIPE: (Serves 4 at approx 400 cals per portion)

1 pack minced (Ground) Turkey (500g)
1 large onion, diced
2 x lamb stock cubes (I used oxo)
2 x medium aubergines (Eggplant) sliced lengthways into slices.
2 x large beef tomatoes (or any Big *kitten* tomato) sliced into rounds
2 tbsp sultanas
2-3 cloves garlic (Depending on size)
60-80g crumbled feta cheese
1 tbsp ras el hanout (Bought or above recipe)
1 tsp extra ground cinnamon
1 large carrot, cut into small dice
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 small bunch of coriander (Cilantro) chopped.

METHOD:

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.

2. In a pan, sautee the chopped onion, carrot, garlic & add the turkey. Cook for a few minutes until browned & add the spices & stock cubes and a dash of water.

3. Add the tinned tomatoes & tomato puree and season with S&P. Simmer for 15 mins on low.

4. Meanwhile, spray the aubergine slices with spray oil and fry the slices on a griddle (Skillet) pan/ or grill (Broil) the slices for a couple of minutes. Set aside.

5. Add 3/4 of the chopped coriander (Cilantro) to the mince mixture. Stir through the sultanas.

6. In an ovenproof casserole/lasagne dish, spoon on some on the mince mixture then add a layer of aubergines on top. Repeat. Top with one final layer of aubergine slices and then top with the sliced beef tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese and remaining coriander. Grind on some black pepper.

7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until bubbling & browning, Serve with mixed salad.

Replies

• susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Looks wonderful. I was wondering what is sultanas and what would be its equal in the states?
  • Stephaniebingletastic
    Options
    that looks fit!! I am copying this to cook this week. Thanks for sharing!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    you can use raisins in place of the sultanas- they are pretty much the same thing!

Would also be great with chopped up dried apricots or prunes.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love eggplant!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You get sultanas in the states :L They're just a type of dried fruit
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I made a big batch of this last night and it was soooooo yummy!!

I did end up adding the red wine as I felt it needed extra richness, and some diced courgette (zuchinni) as it needed using up.

Looking forward to my leftovers tonight!!
  • I cooked this last night for my boyfriend and two hungry friends who like their food and Carb loading and they all loved it! Constance asked for the recipe and it is going at the front of my folder for regular use.
    It was yummy yummy! thanks again for sharing!
  • esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    Uh YUM bump