P90 for beginner?

Options
Enjcg5
Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
I'm looking to incorporate fitness in my life. I absolutely loathe exercising however, I really want to find something I can do at home- 1/2hr a few days/week. I own T25 (too hard and makes me feel like a loser). I own a bunch of yoga DVDs (I like them but I'm not very flexible). I know I maybe should just keep working with what I have but ehhhh..... P90 looks promising. Anyone try it?

Replies

• xo0candypops0ox
    xo0candypops0ox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the P90X workout program? Yes I have tried it. It is good and you definitely feel it and get results but I find it so hard to stick to. The work out sessions are very long... An hour and a half sometimes. And once you get through a few weeks it just gets so repetitive. I lost interest. What works for me more is a variety. I go the gym 5 times a week, do about 3 different classes a week, swim one day a week and that variety keeps me motivated and I've stuck to it religiously. Some of the workouts I still do occasionally like the Ab Ripper X is only 20 mins and super effective! But as a whole program you need a lot of discipline to stick to it. There's no rest days on P90x.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the P90X workout program? Yes I have tried it. It is good and you definitely feel it and get results but I find it so hard to stick to. The work out sessions are very long... An hour and a half sometimes. And once you get through a few weeks it just gets so repetitive. I lost interest. What works for me more is a variety. I go the gym 5 times a week, do about 3 different classes a week, swim one day a week and that variety keeps me motivated and I've stuck to it religiously. Some of the workouts I still do occasionally like the Ab Ripper X is only 20 mins and super effective! But as a whole program you need a lot of discipline to stick to it. There's no rest days on P90x.

P90 is supposed to be a little easier. Lower impact. I think it came out last year
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I haven't done P90, but it was specifically meant for beginners. The idea was it's for people who aspire to P90X but just aren't (and maybe never will be LOL) there yet. I've heard a lot of good things about it, but haven't done it myself.

I think they offer a free trial of Beachbody on Demand. You should be able to pull up a couple of the workouts on there and see what you think.
  • clcrawford1
    clcrawford1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    I'm looking to incorporate fitness in my life. I absolutely loathe exercising however, I really want to find something I can do at home- 1/2hr a few days/week. I own T25 (too hard and makes me feel like a loser). I own a bunch of yoga DVDs (I like them but I'm not very flexible). I know I maybe should just keep working with what I have but ehhhh..... P90 looks promising. Anyone try it?

I found it very repetitive which led to a tendinitis flare. They focus too much on the "show me/beach" muscles and not enough on functional strength. I would highly recommend fitnessblender on YouTube over P90. That being said, everyone's experience is individual and just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't for you. Check them out on demand with a free trial before buying any dvds
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did Power 90, which P90 is just an update of. It was okay in terms of being beginner-friendly, but it was quite repetitive as a previous poster mentioned.
  • Bleedrobot
    Bleedrobot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @clcrawford1 that fitnessblender website is great!
  • snowbaby36
    snowbaby36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    P90 is great for a beginner. With every exercise, there is a modifier if you need it.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I was considering P90 last year and picked a Jillian Michaels DVD instead, Ripped in 30. The moves are interesting and not repetitive. Many of them overlap my PT exercises but it's still challenging (I used to do Insanity before baby/injuries). I got great results.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    P90 is a good option for a beginner. You may not need to do A for 30 days and can move onto B faster.
    It is definitely not as intense as P90x and each is around 30 min.