20 lbs in 3-4 months?

Options
13»

Replies

• jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ashliedeee wrote: »
    Well, I didn't lose 20 pounds.. I just hit the 140 mark last week. Have to work a lot harder.

EIGHT pounds down - YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Get rid of the bad stuff. Literally. Throw it out. Donate it. Just don't have it around. Replace it with healthier snacking options. (My fav is a scoop of almond butter with a green apple.) If you can't access the bad stuff, you won't be able to eat them :-) after a while, you'll just naturally hesitate towards healthier options!

nope, ignore this OP.

there are no bad foods, just bad diets...

Bad or not, if having it around makes it difficult to stick to your calorie budget, not having it around is good advice.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't lose 20 pounds.. I just hit the 140 mark last week. Have to work a lot harder.

No, you really don't have to. You are losing weight and making progress. All you have to do is keep going.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You're almost half way there - congrats!
    Keep up consistency
    What do your days look like?
    Exercise?
    General food?
    Are you logging?

Focus on the lifestyle not a 'quick fix'

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think 10-15 lbs would be a better goal.as for snacking at night - I do that too and I don't have any intention of giving it up. I just work it into my calorie goal!

Eta- I keep getting suckered into commenting on old posts . Anyway congrats on your loss. Nothing to be disappointed about. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Seems to depend on the person, my fat butt lost over 20 pounds since april. Others drop a few and stall etc... Can't be sure but it will be fun to find out. Just do it healthy and not a starve yourself diet
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »
    Does this seem reasonable?
    I'm 148lbs at 5'4"
    I was 130 two years ago before starting college and felt amazing, the weight now seems near impossible to shake.
    I'll eat healthy all day but can't stop snacking on bad foods at night.
    I need change.
    Any suggestions?

set MFP to one pound per week loss
    get a food scale and weigh everything
    log everything that you eat into MFP and make sure you are using correct database entries
    keep protein high to minimize muscle loss
    get on some form of structured exercise regimen
    continue to eat the foods that you enjoy, but make sure that you are staying within your calorie, micro, and macro targets.

20 pounds in three to four months is probably not going to happen but if you start training and logging consistently you should get to where you want to be...

Well, here we are, in June and I've only lost ~10 pounds. I started Keto two months ago and I attribute my ability to stick to a plan and the weight loss to that entirely. I'm disappointed in myself but am just going to keep on keeping on.

Nice work on your weight loss! Even though you haven't reached your end goal, you have made progress toward it. You have also learned that Keto is something you find that you're able to stick to, so that's progress in itself.

If you had lost weight at the rate that you hoped to, you would likely have lost muscle mass in addition to fat. This means that you are likely to be happier with how you look when you reach your goal weight if you continue to lose weight at this slower pace. And... the more muscle mass we have, the more calories we generally burn: so when you eventually get to your goal weight, you may get to eat a larger amount of calories to maintain that weight (this definitely makes "slower" weight loss worth it, in my opinion!!)

Thanks for keeping us updated. Keep at it. I wonder where you'll be 2 months from now!

you lose muscle mass eating in a deficit which is why its recommended to eat enough protein and do weight/resistance training. as for more muscle burning more calories a lb of muscle only burns like an additional 6-10 calories so its not that big of a difference. to eat more all that you need to do is be more active and burn more calories.

I did not realize that muscle doesn't use a very significant amount of calories, so I really appreciate your response because it made me look into this further. Sometimes I forget how much more active I am in these recent years, compared to when I started losing weight - as it's such a huge part of who I am now, it's easy to forget that is why my maintenance calories tend to be higher.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm 148lbs at 5'4"
    I was 130 two years ago before starting college and felt amazing, the weight now seems near impossible to shake.
    I need change.
    Any suggestions?

log everything that you eat into MFP and make sure you are using correct database entries
    continue to eat the foods that you enjoy, but make sure that you are staying within your calorie, micro, and macro targets.

20 pounds in three to four months is probably not going to happen but if you start training and logging consistently you should get to where you want to be...

Well, here we are, in June and I've only lost ~10 pounds. I started Keto two months ago and I attribute my ability to stick to a plan and the weight loss to that entirely. I'm disappointed in myself but am just going to keep on keeping on.

Nice work on your weight loss! Even though you haven't reached your end goal, you have made progress toward it. You have also learned that Keto is something you find that you're able to stick to, so that's progress in itself.

If you had lost weight at the rate that you hoped to, you would likely have lost muscle mass in addition to fat. This means that you are likely to be happier with how you look when you reach your goal weight if you continue to lose weight at this slower pace. And... the more muscle mass we have, the more calories we generally burn: so when you eventually get to your goal weight, you may get to eat a larger amount of calories to maintain that weight (this definitely makes "slower" weight loss worth it, in my opinion!!)

Thanks for keeping us updated. Keep at it. I wonder where you'll be 2 months from now!

you lose muscle mass eating in a deficit which is why its recommended to eat enough protein and do weight/resistance training. as for more muscle burning more calories a lb of muscle only burns like an additional 6-10 calories so its not that big of a difference. to eat more all that you need to do is be more active and burn more calories.

I did not realize that muscle doesn't use a very significant amount of calories, so I really appreciate your response because it made me look into this further. Sometimes I forget how much more active I am in these recent years, compared to when I started losing weight - as it's such a huge part of who I am now, it's easy to forget that is why my maintenance calories tend to be higher.

yeah the more you active you are and the more you burn the higher maintenance will be.I mean muscle is good to have for many reasons thats why its a good thing to lift heavy/do resistance training while losing weight.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    On one hand, you seem to understand that you're eating too much, on the other, you're trying to shift responsibility for your self control over to the internet. We can't make you eat reasonable portions. Only you can do that.
  • ashliedeee
    ashliedeee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    On one hand, you seem to understand that you're eating too much, on the other, you're trying to shift responsibility for your self control over to the internet. We can't make you eat reasonable portions. Only you can do that.

I'm not shifting responsibility over to anyone, thanks!
  • ashliedeee
    ashliedeee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mostly everyone, for the positive responses :) it's appreciated.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you just like to snack then maybe find some calorie dilute foods that you can munch on...I just like the act of eating and like to take a lot of bites so I like carrots or cucumbers cut super thin and measure out my ranch to dip it in, or if sweet is what you want cut apples super thin and munch those for awhile with or without a dip (light & fit vanilla yogurt is really good with it or for only 70ish cals).
  • motiv8td18
    motiv8td18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did not think it was possible but it is!! I am down 42 lbs in less than 5 months. My success thus far... Exercise most days to get a 300+ calorie gain, be very diligent about counting calories and staying under your goal. If you want to eat (or drink) more calories then exercise more. It has become a way of life for me more than a "diet". I weigh myself weekly except period weeks so I don't get hung up on a number. I have passed my original goal but still want to keep going! 5'4 189 lbs Feb 1 to 147 lbs June 10. I thought I was going to be fat forever after a 50+ weight gain in 6 years. I proved myself wrong and hope to continue to do so.

It's possible! Good luck!
  • lottathought
    lottathought Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As I keep reading this, I can not help but to think of something that I have been coming to grips with myself as I lose weight. I think most anybody losing weight only thinks of it as a race with a prize at the end of being thin. This is not short term. To make the weight loss meaningful, you are changing the lifestyle. If you do not, the weight will come back. For me, I found it easier than I thought I would when I realized that I could have whatever I wanted. The real sin was to lose control of that "Portion". I think weight can safely come off a little faster than some claim here...but I get their argument. This is about finding foods that you love while shrinking the stomach to want smaller portions and making sure that you get enough healthy stuff. Try to just suffer through for the short win and you will eventually be back at the beginning..or behind that. Now how does that apply here? You lost 10lbs. That is significant movement in the direction that you want to go. That is a WIN. If you did exactly what you have been doing, you would likely lose another 10lbs in probably just a little more time than you have been at it. Then in another window..another 10 lbs. The question is...do you like what you are eating and can you do it long term? Do you like the activities? Find those and you are golden.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 20 pounds! I've kept it off though for years
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 148lbs at 5'4"
    I need change.
    Any suggestions?

Hey I replied to you when you posted in Feb I've lost 9 pounds since then and got down to 140 a week ago, well done, slow and steady wins the race I feel great so far! x Trust me we had the same amount to lose give or take a pound and I totally feel on track, don't sweat it and give yourself some kudos. :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have two questions for the OP @ashliedeee:

1. Do you ENJOY the snacks you munch on late at night?
    2. Do you live by yourself?
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It depends on how active you are included with the weight loss and how accurate your activity is. But also be sure to monitor your consumption to keep from a rapid weight loss. Lower how much is evil including carbohydrates (donuts, bread, etc.) and removing empty carbs (alcohol, sodas, etc.)

If you are using the Apple Watch, UA equipment or Fitbit, be sure the armband is on the inactive arm because the armband would cheat steps.