First Pregnancy and my Tummy HATES ME! Help?

Options
Cedura
Cedura Posts: 184 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So earlier this week I learned I was pregnant (about 15 minutes after I found myself retching for the 5th night in a row after supper).
I have read a lot online about spicy foods (which is apparently breakfast sausage?! Not peppers and curries like I previously assumed) and fatty foods (which is apparently cheese, not french fries) making morning sickness all day sickness (especially when I want to sleep) worse.

So to the other moms out there, What did you eat to help? What foods did not upset your tummy? Will I be stuck eating broth for the next 12 weeks?
And when did my tummy reclassify breakfast sausage as spicy not delicious!?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could try foods like rice, applesauce, bananas, bread, crackers, eggs, plain baked or boiled chicken, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, oatmeal.
    You could try ginger or mint to help settle your stomach.
    Eat smaller meals spread out through the day.

I was particularly bothered by pizza during my pregnancy. :(

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/healthy-food-curb-nausea-pregnant-2339.html
    http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/morning-sickness-relief/
    http://www.thekitchn.com/the-food-lovers-guide-to-surviving-morning-sickness-200373
  • jennifergmcnamee
    jennifergmcnamee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only things I could stomach for about 8 weeks were super bland-tasting foods. I think I lived on baked potatoes, bagels with plain cream cheese, and bland cereal. I could also sometimes do fruit like watermelon, which was good because water was actually more likely to make me vomit than any food and I had trouble staying hydrated. (Popsicles also helped.) Unfortunately, I had a huge aversion to any kind of protein and ended up feeling weak and shaky often, but that varies from person-to-person. My ob-gyn told me that the first trimester is all about survival and not to worry about nutrition but just how many calories I could manage to keep down. Also, keep in mind that different things work for different people. I STILL have an aversion to ginger at 30 weeks, so ginger didn't help settle my stomach at all.

Good luck! I know how much it can suck.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    avoid letting your stomach get completely empty, try having one or two crackers as soon as you wake up (before even getting up) , I found nibbling on almonds during the day helped. if you throw up, wait 30 minutes before attempting to put much back in....sips of water frequently avoid chugging a large amount. It usually gets better by 12 weeks or so, have a chat with Dr, there are lots of options to help. I loved ginger tea , it was not a magic bullet but helped a bit,

It will get better.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of crackers and bread in the beginning. I had to have a fizzy soda in the AM and that helped. It should get better as the weeks pass.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I never ever had morning sickness with my daughter or my son (31 weeks pregnant) but I always felt on the verge of puking for the first 9-12 weeks.

Oatmeal, toast, crackers always helped. Taking my prental before bed was a game changer too, in the AM it just made the pukey feeling much worse.

Basically in pregnancy you'll find yourself not eating a large group of things one day, to eating things you don't even normally like the next.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I lived on pancakes during the worst of my morning sickness with both kids. Sip on sparkling water with lemon. The fizz and the bit of sour help..and can get that nasty taste of nausea out of your mouth.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Well, the women in my family pretty much live on the i.v. drip that the nurse puts in their arm when they're pregnant, sometimes in the hospital and sometimes at home. Morning (all day) sickness sometimes lasts the whole pregnancy and you can't eat a thing without throwing it right back up.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I had hyperemesis gravidarum. I tried everything (mild foods, lemon, keeping hydrated, keeping food in the tummy all the time, eating before getting up...) and nothing except a very structured antinausea medication routine worked. I threw up almost every day and had debilitating nausea. Good luck!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Honestly I didn't even try to tough it out with my second pregnancy. I went on diclectin almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant (dry heaves in the car on the way to work were the last straw).
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I lived on crackers for 16 weeks and still managed to gain 10 pounds in the first trimester. :(
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and it was different with each of them. One of them, Mexican food was all that didn't upset my tummy. One of them, I lived on peanut butter and pineapple.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese was about all I wanted for the first 3 months. Sometimes crackers and popsicles.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had to stick it out with saltines and broth for a while, but grits, rice, toast, grilled cheese, eggs, potatoes, veggie dogs and a few lightly salted but otherwise bland carbs helped. That, and ginger and lemon candies or tea. And I usually detest lemon. It lasted all day for me, as well, but I found that working out in the morning made it slightly more bearable. The first trimester was super rough for me, but it did suddenly get better in the second trimester
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I lived on chocolate power bars (really bland but a little sweet) and cinnamon raisin bagels with pb. For some weird reason, those were the only two things I could consistently eat in the first trimester. Water was the only thing I could drink. I ended up getting these bands that put pressure on points on your inner wrist that help with nausea and those seemed to help too, though it could have just been in my mind. Then I had one trimester of eating whatever I wanted. By the third trimester, twin A was squishing my stomach so consistently it was hard to eat again.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Well, the women in my family pretty much live on the i.v. drip that the nurse puts in their arm when they're pregnant, sometimes in the hospital and sometimes at home. Morning (all day) sickness sometimes lasts the whole pregnancy and you can't eat a thing without throwing it right back up.

This for me for 5 pregnancies. Life is hard.
  • ymwing
    ymwing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Plain carbs like crackers and toast, fizzy water, ginger ale, citrus fruit and citrus flavored popsicles have been my go to items to combat nausea. And sometimes, unfortunately, nothing helps and it just passes.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    From 7 weeks to 11.5 weeks I ate saltine crackers for breakfast and drank A&W Root Beer in my coffee go cup w/ ice, I also craved and ate a lot of OPA fries with the Tzatziki dipping sauce. I didn't get sick but I had the constant nausea for that time period and then it just went away. I gained a total of 30 lbs with my pregnancy from start to finish. There are some great tips in the previous posts. Do what you need to do to get through the day at this point.