Gluten Free Vegan Folk (or any combination of the two, or anyone else) Opinions?

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
Howdy!

I'm hosting friends for dinner on Saturday and one of my guests is vegan and gluten free. She doesn't care if the others eat meat, I'll be cooking the vegan food separately to meat and I'll be making the whole meal to be gluten free to avoid cross contamination.

Just looking for opinions on the following menu:

Appetizer:

Veggie rice paper rolls with satay sauce (chicken and shrimp as the alternative)
Gluten free veggie potstickers (pork as the alternative)
Curried tofu and veg spring rolls

Main:

Salt & Pepper Tofu (chicken as the alternative)
Fried rice with crispy shallots and toasted cashews (with shrimp and egg as the alternative)
Chinese Broccoli with Hoisin Sauce
Som Tam (Spicy Green Papaya Salad)

I've not decided on dessert yet, and would welcome any suggestions - make ahead would be good, and it doesn't have to fit the there :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious. :) The Hoisin Sauce and Hoisin Sauce -- are they Gluten Free?
    Rice pudding or sorbet for dessert maybe?
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make a chocolate mousse type thing that everyone who had tried it has loved.

Recipe for 4 small or 2 large portions:
    1 block of silken tofu (it HAS to be silken, firmer tofus won't work)
    100g good quality dark chocolate
    3-4 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
    Pinch of sea salt
    any other flavourings you want (e.g. chilli flakes, orange zest, mint extract etc.)

- Put the tofu in a clean cloth/tea towel and squeeze out the liquid
    - Blend the tofu with the salt and maple syrup until smooth
    - Melt the chocolate and then add to the blender and blend until well incorporated OR
    If you want a more mousse-like texture, then pour the tofu mixture into a bowl and add the melted chocolate slowly while whisking with an electric whisk.
    - Pour the mixture into whatever you want to serve it in, and leave in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
    - Top with grated chocolate, crumbled biscuits or fruit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As a a gluten eating non - vegan i think that all sounds delicious! Why can't everyone eat the same thing?

Dessert wise.... Something coconutty? Coconut cake with lime sorbet and raspberries?
    Or fresh fruit with coconut "cream", caramelised nuts/crumble topping
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Looks delicious. :) The Hoisin Sauce and Hoisin Sauce -- are they Gluten Free?
    Rice pudding or sorbet for dessert maybe?

Oh, I ended up finding gluten free vegan Oyster (Mushroom) Sauce, so I swapped out! The Hoisin I was going to buy was gluten free though :D

The satay sauce I'm making from scratch, so yup!

Ohhh I have an ice cream maker, sorbet could be amazing....
    I make a chocolate mousse type thing that everyone who had tried it has loved.

Recipe for 4 small or 2 large portions:
    1 block of silken tofu (it HAS to be silken, firmer tofus won't work)
    100g good quality dark chocolate
    3-4 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
    Pinch of sea salt
    any other flavourings you want (e.g. chilli flakes, orange zest, mint extract etc.)

- Put the tofu in a clean cloth/tea towel and squeeze out the liquid
    - Blend the tofu with the salt and maple syrup until smooth
    - Melt the chocolate and then add to the blender and blend until well incorporated OR
    If you want a more mousse-like texture, then pour the tofu mixture into a bowl and add the melted chocolate slowly while whisking with an electric whisk.
    - Pour the mixture into whatever you want to serve it in, and leave in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
    - Top with grated chocolate, crumbled biscuits or fruit.

That sounds amazing! I might do this, and a sorbet! with some nut brittle.....
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    As a a gluten eating non - vegan i think that all sounds delicious! Why can't everyone eat the same thing?

Dessert wise.... Something coconutty? Coconut cake with lime sorbet and raspberries?
    Or fresh fruit with coconut "cream", caramelised nuts/crumble topping

I'd be more than happy to eat all the same thing! It's "da boyz" haahaa. My husband eats tofu, but loves S&P chicken and pork dumplings. I am thinking of doing scrambled tofu in the fried rice, leaving the shrimp off, and making it all one dish, so there's only a couple of alternates.

I do like the idea of using coconut in dessert, it does fit the theme!
  • dustbringer
    dustbringer Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    You could make sticky rice with mango! It's a common Thai dessert that is naturally gluten free and vegan -- and is made with coconut milk! (And it's super delicious!)
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you are so considerate! going this far to ensure that you're going to include your friend. that's a true rarity! just wanted to give YOU a shout out for being so awesome...and can i come over for dinner???? :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am just vegan, not gluten-free but I would be thrilled if I had that much to eat when going to someone's house. It sounds delicious!
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I love to cook for friends and I love a challenge and new cuisines. Vegan/gluten free is just a new cuisine I haven't cooked before! I'm really looking forward to it :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I love to cook for friends and I love a challenge and new cuisines. Vegan/gluten free is just a new cuisine I haven't cooked before! I'm really looking forward to it :)

I was in to a lot of raw vegan food/cooking for a while, there are some delicious, filling recipes around. Worth looking into and experimenting with even if you're not vegan/vegetarian
  • Alatariel75
    Options

I was in to a lot of raw vegan food/cooking for a while, there are some delicious, filling recipes around. Worth looking into and experimenting with even if you're not vegan/vegetarian

My favourite choc chip cookie recipe is actually vegan, a girl I used to work with made it for a baking day and they were sooooo good.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just wanted to give you major props for understanding gluten contamination!
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I just wanted to give you major props for understanding gluten contamination!

I lived with my celiac aunt for a while and saw first hand what happened when I once buttered my toast and stuck the knife back in the butter she then used! The guilt! I ended up going gluten free in the house while I was there because the risk wasn't worth it. Much easier to avoid the contamination all together!

It's one of the reasons I chose an Asian style menu too - it's quite easy to make both vegan and gluten free while getting a lovely variety of dishes. My other option was gluten free pasta with a veggie based sauce and that just seemed a bit boring, plus I've not heard good things about gluten free pasta.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    You could make sticky rice with mango! It's a common Thai dessert that is naturally gluten free and vegan -- and is made with coconut milk! (And it's super delicious!)

Is there an alternative that's anything but mango? I love the idea, but hate mango!
  • dustbringer
    Options

Is there an alternative that's anything but mango? I love the idea, but hate mango!

Sure! The sticky rice is the important bit, you just slice the mango and put it on top. :) There is no reason you couldn't replace it with other fruit or leave it off completely!
  • dustbringer
    Options
    I just found a recipe that suggests replacing the mango with papaya or peaches. :)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/coconut-milk-sticky-rice-with-mangoes-233842
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Rice pudding with caramelised pineapple?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Rice pudding with caramelised pineapple?

Sold. Yum!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You're so nice! I have some vegan friends....they make vegan "special" desserts, if you know what I mean. Pretty tasty.