Training and Gaining Weight

Options
Hi Guys,

I've a big issue. and no idea why.

I train 3x/week TRX classes in the mornings and 2x/3x/week karate in the evenings. My diet isn't bad. Bfast be porridge, buckwheat or scramble egg (1 yolk 2 whites), snack would be fruit, lunch either salads or soup, than snack again some type and for dinner i might have meat with salads or potatoes with veg and guess what from 64kg in a month i went up to 68kg !!! I know im losing fat and muscle weights more but thats not the case. My waist line increased that much that ive a "role" under my bra line never had it. Was talking with few ppl they said i dont eat enough and body start saving. Any suggestions? :(

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? Some people experience increased appetite when training and would eat more without noticing. If you aren't logging food then you really don't know if your diet is bad or not (bad as in too high in calories). The types of food you eat are irrelevant. If you are gaining fat then you are eating too much. What these people are telling you is not correct.

Best thing would be to log everything you eat accurately (even the oil you use for your eggs) and see what your calories are doing.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are.

Some may be water retention, but the rest is this. It doesn't matter how healthy your diet is, if you're eating at a caloric surplus you're going to gain weight. Your body doesn't hold onto calories from not eating enough. Your body is showing you evidence of fat gain with the new fat roll you've said you developed. That doesn't happen when you don't eat enough.
  • manhnguyen123
    manhnguyen123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you also measuring your food? Sometimes calorie counting isn't always accurate and you might be 100-200 calories higher than what you thought.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You mention nothing about counting calories. Are you logging your food?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    as others have said, you mention nothing about whether or not you are eating at a calorie deficit -the one requirement for weight loss
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It could be stress, or increased appetite due to training.
    Stress can increase water retention and so can nutritional deficiencies.
    We do need to know a specific calorie intake if you want a solid answer.
  • JordonDavis89
    JordonDavis89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bethany. It seems like you are really kicking butt with your training, which is awesome, but it does put a lot of stress on your body which can lead to water retention. I went through a struggle like this earlier this year and I was getting so frustrated because of what the scale said on days after I had worked out so hard. Sometimes you will get on the scale after a rest day and you will actually have lost some weight because your body let go of that water and had a chance to repair your muscle tissue.
    Just remember, consistency is the key. Don't give up! You got this!
  • veroabrams
    veroabrams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A scale is a very useful thing to have too. You may be logging an avocado at 100g, when its more like 200g. Even if you use it at first to get familiar with your foods and the serving size your accustomed to.

I was REALLY surprised when I weighed out these salmon fillets just out of curiousity. I even cut them smaller than usual and was shocked to find that they were nearly double what 1 "serving" is considered to be. :#
  • LinuteT
    LinuteT Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do log my food even create my own recepies and log them then. i do it pretty honest. I can honestly say i still have a glass of wine every two weeks and dinner out every two weeks. But i do feel a bit dizzy sometimes...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you log food, but do you weigh it...

a banana could be 3oz or 6oz - that is a huge difference in calories (for example)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    LinuteT wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I do log my food even create my own recepies and log them then. i do it pretty honest. I can honestly say i still have a glass of wine every two weeks and dinner out every two weeks. But i do feel a bit dizzy sometimes...

but do you log accurately and consistently using the correct entries and a food scale/cups for liquids everything you are eating?

do you log your exercise and if you do how many calories are you eating back?

are you pregnant?
  • LinuteT
    Options
    also i dont drink any protein shakes either maybe i should?
  • LinuteT
    Options
    i do weight my food the last two weeks now.... and i log most of my food in the mornings before go to work and then i do extra ones if i have to. Sezxy Stef god no im not pregnant :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I've a big issue. and no idea why.

I train 3x/week TRX classes in the mornings and 2x/3x/week karate in the evenings. My diet isn't bad. Bfast be porridge, buckwheat or scramble egg (1 yolk 2 whites), snack would be fruit, lunch either salads or soup, than snack again some type and for dinner i might have meat with salads or potatoes with veg and guess what from 64kg in a month i went up to 68kg !!! I know im losing fat and muscle weights more but thats not the case. My waist line increased that much that ive a "role" under my bra line never had it. Was talking with few ppl they said i dont eat enough and body start saving. Any suggestions? :(

Your body does not go into saving mode if you're undereating. If that were the case, anorexia wouldn't be a thing.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    also i dont drink any protein shakes either maybe i should?

Protein shakes are great for adding protein but won't actually do anything for weight loss and, of course, you have to work the calories into your budget.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    adding a protein shake isn't going to help you

you need to weigh and log everything - you are logging incorrectly or eating more than you think
  • LinuteT
    Options
    right. ill give few weeks and see how it goes. Thanks all for help!