I have no idea how many calories to consume

Hello there! I'm a 19 year old male weighing approximately 150lbs. I would say I get my fair share of physical activity (I do stair sprints almost every day, sprinting up and down for about 1 and a a half minutes, then resting for about 10-30 seconds. I do that about 10-11 times depending on how exhausted I feel at the end. Then, I do weight lifting on the daily. Half a full body workout each day. Whatever I don't do one day, I do the next). Other than that, I don't do very much.

That being said, I've still got a bit of fat on me that I would like to get rid of (and don't tell me to bulk. I'm not quite lean enough for that yet).

I would like your expertise. How many calories do you think I should be consuming based off of those things? I feel iffy about what MFP has recommended me.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    How tall are you?
    How many calories did MFP tell you?
    Are you trying to lose or gain weight?
  • RPN869
    RPN869 Posts: 14 Member
    Yikes I can't believe I forgot to say that.

I'm 5'10. I got told about 1630kcals. I'm trying to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're using MFP as designed, you wouldn't include your exercise in your activity level...just your normal daily and then you would add in exercise after the fact and get additional calories to account for that activity.

I found MFP's calculations to be just fine.
  • quiksylver296
    You're 5'10, 150 lbs, 19 year old male, and trying to lose weight?

What is your ultimate goal? Is it a certain look? Do you have pictures?

I'm worried you're on an unhealthy track here. And 1630 calories is LOW. I'm a 42 year old female, 5'9, 168 lbs, and losing on ~2000 calories per day.
  • RPN869
    I'm just trying to get a bit more lean. Nothing too significant. Not really any sort of goal images I can share though.

I'm worried that it's too low as well! 1630 does not sound healthy at all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    At your weight I think I'd just eat maintenance or very slightly below and get into the weight room. My guess is you're getting your calories as per a 2 Lb per week target loss and you don't have the weight for that.

I'm 5'10" and 180 and not super lean, but around 15% and looking to get to around 10%...you gotta go slow.
  • quiksylver296
    RPN869 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to get a bit more lean. Nothing too significant. Not really any sort of goal images I can share though.

I'm worried that it's too low as well! 1630 does not sound healthy at all!

Did you set MFP at sedentary, lightly active or active? How many pounds per week did you say you wanted to lose?

Change it to AT LEAST lightly active, and 0.5 or 1 pounds per week (0.5 would be my suggestion).

That will give you more calories.
  • RPN869
    I don't even know my own maintenance level. I thought it was in the high 2000s, but apparently it's not.

I recently took a dieting break because I essentially had been in a cutting phase from September 2016-June 2017.

At one point I went down to 1800kcals daily and I dropped weight REALLY fast (like approx 20-15lbs in around 5 weeks). After that it went really slowly.
  • quiksylver296
    Also, a little unsolicited advice - get on a proven lifting program. You'll see better progress than just doing your own thing. The attached thread has just about every good program out there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • RPN869
    Lightly active, 1.5lbs per week.
  • quiksylver296
    RPN869 wrote: »
    Lightly active, 1.5lbs per week.

Change the 1.5 to .5, IMO.

2 lbs per week - over 75 lbs to lose
    1.5 per week - 50 to 75 lbs to lose
    1 lb per week - 25-50 lbs to lose
    .5 lbs per week - less than 25 lbs to lose
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You're 5'10, 150 lbs, 19 year old male, and trying to lose weight?

What is your ultimate goal? Is it a certain look? Do you have pictures?

I'm worried you're on an unhealthy track here. And 1630 calories is LOW. I'm a 42 year old female, 5'9, 168 lbs, and losing on ~2000 calories per day.

I agree with this. You need to hit the weights and eat, at least 2000 calories.