Training was going full steam and so well and then a low mood kicked in.

Options
Here is a bit of an odd thing I am going through mentally. I have had a few ups and downs over the past few years, biggest being my ill mother who passed away last year after a long battle with MS.
My fitness has never been so neglected like it has been over the last few years, though I did train on the odd occassion and to be fair what I put myself though in negative ways did not damage me as much as it could have done.

I am back in training this year with a slight difference. I have always jogged and was once very good at it though I have always hated it. I have recently really falling in love with cycling, so much so that the many hours and miles I put into is hardly noticeable in suffering as I love it so much, I am talking some 80 mile bike rides already with a body and mind that was a bit damaged.

We all know about endorphines, and everytime when times were tough and I went out for that jog when times were tough I got the same buzz and like so many of us thought to myself why do I not keep this up.
Cycling has been no different with that endorphine kick, well it was until last Saturday. I came in from a 45 mile bike ride after doing a few more bike rides that week, like I said I did not find it a hardship. Then after the ride I felt unusually low in mood which went on for a few days. I was due to cycle on Monday or Tuesday even with legs a little tired and thought I had better give it a miss because of the way I have been feeling. It is now Thursday and this is now the longest I have gone without a bike ride in months(5 days), and it is not down to motivation or being lazy. I still feel very low in mood and have felt run down and a few aches.

Could I have been over training?, even though I have loved every bike ride to a point, last two rides I never got that endorphine kick.

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It might be mild depression. I know people who are clinically depressed will not get endorphin kicks and actually feel worse after exercising instead of better. You could have been trying to avoid grieving by exercising...maybe time to grieve and address low mood would be beneficial. I'd still bike though now and then as it will help things not get worse.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things. Personally, I'll look at sleep first - are you getting enough? Is it good enough? After that, I'd take a step back and look at the big picture - no one is happy all the time. Moods fluctuate. It's normal. Is that what's happening here, or is this different? Next, I'd look at diet - are you eating enough? Are you getting reasonable macros/micros?

If you can check off those 3 things, then you're beyond my scope of expertise, and I'm not sure what to say/suggest.
  • grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Could be a number of things. Personally, I'll look at sleep first - are you getting enough? Is it good enough? After that, I'd take a step back and look at the big picture - no one is happy all the time. Moods fluctuate. It's normal. Is that what's happening here, or is this different? Next, I'd look at diet - are you eating enough? Are you getting reasonable macros/micros?

If you can check off those 3 things, then you're beyond my scope of expertise, and I'm not sure what to say/suggest.

Like I said I have been training like a dream and have been loving the cycling previously. In the past few months I have reduced alcohol consumption by a huge amount and I am eating like a saint while losing about 7LB, so not excessive weight loss. Yes my sleep is not brilliant and lately I have not needed as much of it, but rest time is not an issue.

I am not beating myself up about any of this, and I fully undestand about moods changing. But it just crossed my mind that maybe going from one lifstyle to another which has been healthy, not just healthy but healthy plus from what I was has been too bigger jump. I actually thought a few days ago maybe I need that chunk of cheese cake and a few beers, so I went and did it.

I know the training is good for me, the diet has been fantastic along with a few other major changes and in the past few months I have just got things done rather than sit on them. But could even rapid postive changes have a downside, and could cycling too much have gor me down a little,
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I have problems with depression and generally exercise helps with that. Occasionally it doesn't help at all. I find it best to go out and get my exercise anyway, even when I really don't feel in the mood or when I'm having one bad run after another. For one thing, it gives me one less thing to feel bad about. And sometimes a good one slips in and makes me forget the bad ones.

You may have been pushing yourself too hard. It may also be the heat giving you problems. Or you may want to get your iron levels checked. When I was having issues with low ferritin, all my runs were awful.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    It might be mild depression. I know people who are clinically depressed will not get endorphin kicks and actually feel worse after exercising instead of better. You could have been trying to avoid grieving by exercising...maybe time to grieve and address low mood would be beneficial. I'd still bike though now and then as it will help things not get worse.

As someone with depression, I find that this happens to me. So it's completely possible that it's just catching up to you as you grow accustomed to the rides.

Typically I find that when I take off as long as I need mentally, I can come back strong when I'm ready. I have taken as much as two weeks off from running before, even though I didn't really want to, but mentally I needed it. What I was finding is that it took all my mental power to get out there and to finish, and I wouldn't feel accomplished after. Rather, I would feel worse. A bit of time off always helped in my case.

What I'm getting at is that I would wait a few more days, but if nothing changes, it might be beneficial to see a doctor. As mentioned, it could be anything from depression to low iron or over-training. A doctor can help find the cause if it isn't as simple as taking a mental and physical break.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You don't specifically say how often and how far you are riding. I see 2 numbers, some 80 mile rides and a 45 mile ride. Those are pretty demanding rides. Possibly you have overdone it and your system is telling you to recover and back it down some? CNS fatigue could affect mood and energy level in the way you are describing.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    This has been me for the past 3 weeks! I have only been putting in about 3-4 days a week at the gym when normally it's a full 6 days. I've felt a little down, unmotivated and tired. I had bloodwork drawn and everything came back within range. I have a doctor's appt next month for sleep study, I think I have sleep apnea.

I beleive that you will find your second wind and so will I, and we will get back at it. Sounds as if you have the right mind set and are aware of your feelings and what needs to be done. Sometimes we just need to press "pause" for a moment and then come back strong! Good luck
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    I have problems with depression and generally exercise helps with that. Occasionally it doesn't help at all. I find it best to go out and get my exercise anyway, even when I really don't feel in the mood or when I'm having one bad run after another. For one thing, it gives me one less thing to feel bad about. And sometimes a good one slips in and makes me forget the bad ones.

You may have been pushing yourself too hard. It may also be the heat giving you problems. Or you may want to get your iron levels checked. When I was having issues with low ferritin, all my runs were awful.

Some interesting thoughts spirit and partly some concerns I have been having myself. If your body get used to and is fuelled by crap then as good as your new fuel is your body will want to be still fuelled by crap partly. Interesting about the iron, will look into that.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You don't specifically say how often and how far you are riding. I see 2 numbers, some 80 mile rides and a 45 mile ride. Those are pretty demanding rides. Possibly you have overdone it and your system is telling you to recover and back it down some? CNS fatigue could affect mood and energy level in the way you are describing.

Every couple of days I am jumping from road to off road to vary the rides.. The off roads are usually between 20 and 25 miles, most of the road rides are around 30 to 45 miles.. the long rides have been at the weekend and the last 80 mile one I did I threw in a fish and chip dinner at 50 miles :) .. they never hit the side of my thraot as they went down Mmmm.. and felt amazing after a 15 minute break and doing the last 30 miles, could of done more.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    This has been me for the past 3 weeks! I have only been putting in about 3-4 days a week at the gym when normally it's a full 6 days. I've felt a little down, unmotivated and tired. I had bloodwork drawn and everything came back within range. I have a doctor's appt next month for sleep study, I think I have sleep apnea.

I beleive that you will find your second wind and so will I, and we will get back at it. Sounds as if you have the right mind set and are aware of your feelings and what needs to be done. Sometimes we just need to press "pause" for a moment and then come back strong! Good luck

The slight difference Sherri is that I never lost my motivation though down a little. I really noticed it in myself how I was not smiling at anyone, I am quite a cheery little git normally. I had to make myself not ride in the last few days, like I said I have been loving it. Not been Out again today, so that is actually 5 days now and I am going to have a few beers and naughty bits tonight, but not over do it. I am going for a sensible ride on Saturday, that will be a week then of having a break after a hectic few months.
  • mmapags
    Options

Every couple of days I am jumping from road to off road to vary the rides.. The off roads are usually between 20 and 25 miles, most of the road rides are around 30 to 45 miles.. the long rides have been at the weekend and the last 80 mile one I did I threw in a fish and chip dinner at 50 miles :) .. they never hit the side of my thraot as they went down Mmmm.. and felt amazing after a 15 minute break and doing the last 30 miles, could of done more.

I'm guessing you just need a little recovery break. You body, energy level and mood will signal when you are up to getting back at it. Meanwhile, a light recovery ride or 2, low volume, low intensity would be good. What is your nutrition like? I went to look but your diary is not open.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options

I'm guessing you just need a little recovery break. You body, energy level and mood will signal when you are up to getting back at it. Meanwhile, a light recovery ride or 2, low volume, low intensity would be good. What is your nutrition like? I went to look but your diary is not open.

MM

I have not been putting any entries in, just been getting on with it. I can honestly say I am eating mostly like a saint, plenty of fruit veg, chicken and fish and a few spuds or brown rice etc
  • mmapags
    Options
    My real question is are you getting adequate nutrition given your activity level. Getting enough protein and carbs to fuel the rides and recover adequately is important. If you are not getting enough, it could effect mood among other things.
    Also. enough fat is important for hormonal health. Not enough over time could also affect mood due to hormone balance, particularly testosterone, being off. Might be worth logging food along with exercise for a bit to see where you sit.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely not overtraining.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    Definitely not overtraining.

Don't over elaborate will you Pokernutt
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Over-training syndrome can certainly lead to mood changes, emotional and mental swings.
    If that's the case you probably noticed reduced exercise performance, fatigue and poor recovery times.

Could simply be mild depression of course, sometimes we tuck issues away rather than resolve them and they catch up with us later when our guard is down.

An idea would be to go for a ride not for exercise, purely for enjoyment of being active in some beautiful countryside. For those rides I switch off the distance and average speed displays on my Garmin and just trundle along enjoying the scenery rather being driven to beat a goal, set an average speed, smash a Strava segment....
    It's very emotionally refreshing just being kind to yourself!