How to deal with frequent special occasions?

Options
Hello MFPers!

Here it is: It seems like every week there are "special occasions" that result in me going over my calorie goals. This week, for example, my in-laws returned home after a long trip and (out of the blue) invited us to eat at a restaurant with them. Last week it was my sister's birthday and an out-of-town guest (resulted in restaurant meals, cocktails).

The difficulty is two-fold. One, I don't want to disappoint others by abstaining or refusing to do something. Two, I justify the over-consuming by telling myself that this is a one-off occasion and I will get back on track the next day. The problem, of course, is that it happens all the time!

I am struggling with a stumbling block in my food intake and could use some advice/encouragement/support.

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Work out longer the next day after your occasion or bank calories in anticipation of the occasion. When it comes to surprise things, make smart choices when eating out. Every restaurant has healthy choices. Offer to share your food too. You can't use special occasions as an excuse to not eat well. These are choices and decisions you make. And know that these occasions will happen throughout your life, even after your diet is over. Gotta learn to make good choices.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When eating out you can do one of two things to stay on track, order to specifications, ie no sauces or extra butter oils, and go with lean protein and salad or go with whatever sounds good to you at that moment and when ordering ask for the take home container put half of meal in container before eating.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! Last weekend I had 3 social events where I didn't want to continually worry about what I was eating and drinking, I just wanted to enjoy it. These social events in the past were the reason I gave up. I just limit what I eat and drink to a small extent but just accept I'll mostly be eating at maintenance for those days. I then go slightly under my goal for the next few days and exercise more. I lose less those weeks but still lose. Those social events won't go on forever. Even if you have 3 or 4 in a row, just enjoy and get back on track the other days.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Meals out don't necessarily equal special occasion or the need to eat excessively. Decide if its actually an occasion worth splurging over in regards to food. In-laws coming home, someone else's birthday, a guest.. Not really special enough for me to go all out in my opinion!
    If you still want to go, make good choices. Choose less indulgent meals, swap out highly calorific parts for lesser ones (I usually swap the high carb/high fat part for salad or vegies with dressing/sauce on the side), pick meals not likely to be drenched in oil or butter, grilled over fried etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Order lower calorie items at restaurants. Go easy on bread, rice, cheese, battered/fried foods, dressings, sauces. Try to get grilled meats and vegetables. Check out soups.
    Check out nutritional info online for restaurants and see what sort of things would fit your calorie goal.
    Eat smaller portions at restaurants. Split with someone or take half home.
    Don't drink your calories. Get an unsweetened tea, water, diet soda.

Eat at maintenance for that day.
    Eat lighter at your other meals that day or eat lighter other days that week. Look at your weekly calories.
    Exercise more to accommodate eating more calories.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Exercise more that day in anticipation of potentially consuming more.
    Check out a restaurant's menu ahead of time to make it fit within your macros.
    Make the best choices you can. Lean proteins and veggies without heavy cheesy or oily sauces. I avoid pasta personally.
    Share your food with someone or ask for a to-go box right away and put half of it away.
    Don't drink alcohol or sugary beverages--stick to tea or water.
    Learn that "special occasion" doesn't mean an excuse to overeat. Focus on the company, not the food.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Summertime is the hardest with parties, visitors and picnics/BBQ. Choose the best you can and remember you don't need to eat the whole thing at once. Also as indicated above focus on who you are with instead of eating all the food. I have been to parties where I almost forgot to eat anything because I was too busy socializing.
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, everyone.

You bring up a good point, @ladyhusker39 . I think that it comes down to a misguided sense of obligation and using the special occasion as an excuse or loophole.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I'm having tbe same issues. Heres what I'm doing to try and combat it.
    If you have enough tine to look up an online menu, or know pretty much what they serve, decide ahead of time what you want and how to fit into your "budget". If you know there's a !likelihood of something coming up (ie, it's my sisters birthday, we might go celebrate...) Eat less during day and try to fit in an extra few minutes of workout so you have plenty to work with. Plan to have leftovers, they make a great lunch! Restaurant portions are almost always big enough for two and sometimes 3 healthy sized meals, and knowing that it won't dissapear and be wasted if you don't eat it all NOW makes it easier to stop eating when you are no longer hungry.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes this stuff is hard for me too, esp. having a drink with everyone else. Its not that I feel obligated to, but it is hard to stay motivated when everyone wants to eat and drink crappy and you want too! I have to think ahead of the next morning. Do I want the scale to go up or down?? Do I want to be frustrated for three days again or keep trucking how I am. This diet business can be hard to do! Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time if you have to!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Eat or drink your favorites and don't worry about tasting everything. By now, we probably have tried it all and know what most foods taste like. Unless its a new recipe or a new restaurant or a fresh baked pie, just know you are not missing out on anything and enjoy the event.
  • everstrong55
    everstrong55 Posts: 56 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is hard for everybody. Maybe the way to go is eating slowly?