Struggling with Routine

Options
Hi friends,
I'm really struggling with finding a good routine. I work from home, and I work fairly long hours. I know that the best time for me to get in my workout is the early morning, but I struggle with the will-power to get out of bed!

What are your tips for keeping a good routine?

Replies

• kimberlygo
    kimberlygo Posts: 74
    Options
    I work out in the morning, too (from about 6-7 a.m.). It was initially very difficult for me to get out of bed in the morning at 545. I make it as easy as possible for myself by laying out all of my gym clothes the night before, charging my ipod and sticking a water bottle in the fridge. Over time, my body has adjusted to waking up early. But more importantly, the results have motivated me to continue waking up early.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room so you HAVE to get up to turn it off. At that point, you might as well get a shower or go to the bathroom. At that point, you might as well get dressed to work out. At that point, you might as well work out. :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If I have a workout program that I look forward to I am more likely to do the routine.
    In order to get up early I have to go to bed early, I try to be in bed around 8:30-9p in order to get up at 5a.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I choose days to get up early. This week I got up Monday and Tuesday to do 45 minute workouts. TOday I slept in due to a 60 minute ZUmba class tonight. TOmorrow I will get up and do a 45 minute walk workout and Friday I will do at least a 30 minute elliptical workout. A do little exercises throughout the day. I work at home as well with a home daycare. I put ankle weights on and do standing leg exercises, I use the ankle weights as hand weights and do standing arm workouts, and I do sit ups as well. I try to exercise at least 45 minutes each night with either the elliptical, Zumba or other exercise dvd, or Wii. On weekends I try to work out in the a.m. and evenings as well, though I don't get up early to exercise.
  • AJDistel
    AJDistel Posts: 93
    Options
    Give yourself about 2 weeks and your body will get use to it. It took me a while but I get up at 6:30 and eat and get my workout in. Find a good routine you like so that you'll want to wake up and do it. It will get easier.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Finding a friend helps. Once I found a friend who was like a pal, we didn't even have to exercise together. Just knowing she was going to exercise helped. In addition, find things that you like to do. There are activities that I get out of bed for, such as eating, watching tv, shopping....however, with other activities, I need more motivation;)

Good luck!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this one too. I've actually put a lamp in my bedroom on a timer, so it turns on an hour earlier than I need to get up. That combined with an alarm, helps me wake up and get up. I also lay out my exercise clothes somewhere that I can see them right when I wake up - like laying accross my dresser with my sneakers on the floor ready to go.

Set small goals for yourself. Try doing 20 minutes in the mornings, then build up to 30 then 60. You'll get more motivated as you go and get more energy.

I also recommend taking breaks to walk throughout the day, if you can. I remember working from home, I'd stay in my PJ's all day and actually not leave my desk for hours on end. It was a very bad routine for me, I'm just not disciplined enough to work at home! But if you can, get up and take 10 minute walks, or do some streching, jumping jacks, etc. throughout the day.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I advise you to eat healthy and in large quantities if you want to gain muscle mass and your muscles can recover faster and increase the growth rate by 200%
    IF YOU WANT THE BEST METHOD FOR THE BODY YOU WANT IN A SHORT TIME LAPZO, THAT IS, THE TECHNIQUE FOR ACCELERATING THE GROWTH PROCESS OF MUSCLE 200 percent NATURALLY YOU PS I HAVE THE SOLUTION HERE: http:/ / www.fisicofuerza.co.cc

UM, OK.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds nosy...but what exactly do you do from home? Like is it a make your own schedule...or do you have specific hours you have to work, you just get to do it from home?

I work at home also, but I run my own business so I always have work, but I kind of make my schedule. I find it extremely difficult to figure out my priorities, but I've come down to working out in the middle of the day or at night works best for me.

That's why I wanted to know if you get to pick your own hours. If it would be easier to roll out of bed and get to work, then take a break mid-day, work out and then eat lunch...then back to work...maybe that is an idea to try.