Bone broth reviews?

2»

Replies

• JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    RenaTX wrote: »
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I'm a canner. So I make a huge stock pot at a time and can it in pint jars. Need to do some more very soon.

It's harder these days to get the bits and pieces for beef broth. So many cuts are now sold boneless. I can buy 'soup bones,' and have done so. But I seem to enjoy making stuff, like broth, from bits and pieces that others trash.

Many butchers will sell you the bones. It's getting expensive though now that it seems bones are getting more poplar so of course the price has increased. I buy beef bones from my meat market's butcher all the time for my dog, bone broth or marrow .

I am surrounded by organic farms where I live :) SCORE!!!!
  • JennyHsavage
    RenfieldX wrote: »
    Is bone broth just an alternate name for boiling the bones to make stock, or is there a distinction that I'm missing?

Where I'm from it is, and a reduction
  • JennyHsavage
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

Personally I actually enjoy beef tendon which is high in hyaluronic acid and collagen which I know isn't favored in western diets but it's frequently enjoyed in Asian countries. It's given credit for why many Asians look younger than they are.

My favorite Vietnamese restaurant makes a Pho that has beef tendon, along with other rare cuts of beef. I accidentally ordered it one time and wondered, at first, what I was eating. It was quite wonderful! If that's the secret behind why Asians look younger, I'm ordering that tasty bowl every time I go there! :D

Hehe I'm pouring the leftovers on my face :D
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    CTcutie wrote: »
    I haven't had real stock since my mom used to make it many years ago and had to know the difference between "broth", "stock", and now,apparently, "soup"... not a chef; I'm a scientist who likes to cook sometimes, lol :smiley:

Stock = "bone broth": viscous; cooks for 16-18 hours (beef, lamb) or 6-8 hours for chicken & uses BONES -> COLLAGEN -> paleo

Broth = old school broth = "soup": thinner; cooks for 2-4 hours

Tips:
      do NOT use marrow bones (no meat, marrow is fatty & will get stinky?)- use soup bones, says the article
      • Add alt at the end
      • Roast the bones BEFORE boiling/instantpot
      • Use lots of veggies to enhance the flavor (pics on the site are nice)

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/difference-between-bone-broth-and-stock

Eh whoever wrote this article needs to learn about roasting bones. With red meat, marrow bones it needs to be roasted first. Roasting the bones gives a good flavor and it's not stinky.

Also the term "broth" means it was made from primarily meat and then bone where "stock" is from bones and little meat. Broth isn't really "soup". Both stock and broth are traditionally used to form the base of soups.

• JennyHsavage
      ;)
    • RaeBeeBaby
      RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
      RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

Personally I actually enjoy beef tendon which is high in hyaluronic acid and collagen which I know isn't favored in western diets but it's frequently enjoyed in Asian countries. It's given credit for why many Asians look younger than they are.

My favorite Vietnamese restaurant makes a Pho that has beef tendon, along with other rare cuts of beef. I accidentally ordered it one time and wondered, at first, what I was eating. It was quite wonderful! If that's the secret behind why Asians look younger, I'm ordering that tasty bowl every time I go there! :D

Hehe I'm pouring the leftovers on my face :D

Leftovers??? hah
    • RaeBeeBaby
      RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
      edited June 2017
      CTcutie wrote: »

Tips:

do NOT use marrow bones (no meat, marrow is fatty & will get stinky?)- use soup bones, says the article

The marrow is where all the good stuff comes from!
    • Roza42
      Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
      edited February 2020
      just_Tomek wrote: »
      crazyravr wrote: »
      You are not making bone broth here. You are making a chicken soup lol :) which is delish on its own.

Well as a chef I am aware of that thank you, but i do a small chicken every other day to make a good gelatinous broth in a pressure cooker. With the beef bones we usually simmer in the pressure cooker a second time as they have so much more to give!

Well if you are a chef then why are you calling a chicken soup, bone broth lol :)
      I only make my bone broth in the instant pot now. There is no other way.

Um, you do realize that the instant pot is a pressure cooker? So she is making bone broth the way that you are suggesting.

Sorry didn't realize this was an old thread before hitting reply.