Exercise that is not exercise

Options
JoLeeFA
JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
I am a school teacher who has a couple more weeks at home with the kids (young) before school starts.

Please share ideas for physical activity that is not "go to the gym" exercise type things.
Any ideas on making the most of my laundry/cooking/house keeping time would help too.

Thanks

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    take them to the park, or go out for a bike ride
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Put on some ankel weights or a weighted vest and do the everyday stuff. I want to get a weighted vest for when I use the elliptical. THe "added weight" gives you more of a burn! I have a home daycare and I use ankle weights and do standing leg exercises while the kids are playing outside or inside during free time. I also use them as hand weights and do arm exercises. Dancing with the kids is always a good calorie burn as well!!
  • autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    I wear wrist weights and ankle weights when im cleaning and put on some upbeat music and dance around while vaccuuming and dusting. LOL. sounds silly but i love it...

Have you seen the Clean Momma routine from the Dr's show www.cleanmomma.com
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands a lot at home during random times...I do them in the bathroom while my son is in the tub. I also do shadowboxing (basically just punching in front of you) in sets of 100 pretty much every time I sit on the toilet at home or work. You can do calf raises anytime your sitting at the computer or standing at the bottom of the steps waiting for the kids to come down. There's a website called quickie chick or something like that where she has a lot of little sneaky exercises you can fit in!
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have a "fun" day out in the park? Get a ball and kick it around? play catch with them if they're old enough, bike riding? swimming? :)
    play music while you clean the house and if the kids are old enough they might join in :D
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Take a walk, sure the kids will enjoy the fresh air
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Find at least 20 minutes to exercise. It is not about if you can find activities to substitute. Of course you can. This is about recognizing no matter what, you deserve 20-30 minutes a day to focus on you. There are a lot of exercise tapes out there (Jillian Michaels, Bellydance) that have great routines for 20-30 minutes. Even if you can only do this a couple of times a week, I think it is necessary. I am not sure if you have someone who can watch the kids, but that might be your best solution (or waking up early or exercising after they are sleep).
    I think the whole point of MFP is to realize that we are important and we deserve to put ourselves first. If you do this, you will have an awesome opportunity to teach your kids about self-love and self-preservation.

Good Luck!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Does the above poster have children? I could never get away with ignoring my daughter for 30 mins while I do a workout!!!

Ideas:

definitely walks.
    I find indoor play areas are great work outs, and my daughter loves it so much when I join in , go do a few circuits for an hour and you'll be knackered!
    Also taking the kids to the pool, if they are big enough you can lap swim while they play, if they are little its tiring carrying them around and playing

The great thing about these are they are such quality time with the kids and encourages them to be active too.
    You are so smart to be a school teacher and have school holidays to play !

The main thing is join in with the kids, the kind of exercise they do is the most natural and great for us.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hiking would be my favorite. Pack some snacks and drinks, take a camera, and explore mother nature. Fun for the kiddies and adults, and an extra workout if you end up carrying one of the little ones.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I do freeweights while I watch TV at night at least 3 times a week. You can use cans of beans or jugs of milk if you don't have weights. Sticking to cardio only will only get you so far. Don't forget about muscle building! (you will lose muscle wether you want to or not, weight training is essential in replacing that lost muscle)
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    Do Marathon housework....decide what you want to accomplish, set a timer and get it done! It's amazing how much more focused and "busy" I stay when I do this....keeps me from being sidetracked!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Maybe doing Squats or Lunges while doing the Dishes or Cooking?
    Fold and/or hang one item at a time and put it away before taking the next item out of the Dryer.
    Walk or Dance in place while waiting on the Microwave or for something on the stove to boil.
    Going to the Zoo or Park is fun and adds a lot of steps.
    No matter where you go, park as far as possible from the store you are going to.

Have a Contest with the Kids to see who can get the most Jumping Jacks or Steps during each Commercial Break.

:flowerforyou: Good Luck!!
  • StefD78
    StefD78 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    go to the park and play frisbee maybe? Going for a walk and looking at scenery is always nice!
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    since your children are small here some suggestions:

you could get some sort of float that fits both of them and hold on to it pushing them around the pool while you are doing all the leg work.

go for a walk and take a wagon so that when they are tired and you need/want to keep going, you can put them in it and continue.
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Jump rope for cardio. And believe it or not, invest in a hula hoop "for the kids", great for the midsection if you can keep it up and moving on your hips. Both things that kids like to do as well, and less than $10 for both.

Squats, chair lifts, and steps are free and great workouts. If your kids like to dance, blast the radio, and have a mini-party in your living room.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Everytime you go to the ladies room, do 10 squats. I am drinking at least 10 glasses of water a day which makes me have to pee a lot.... think about it... everytime I go I do 10 squats... that's a lot of squats during the period of one day!
    I also bought a thighmaster (cheesey.. i know) at TJ Maxx and do it while I'm watching tv or a movie with my husband. At least I'm getting my heart rate up while sitting there! Wear ankle weights while you do housework and blast some fun, high energy music and dance around while doing it. Before you know it you will be sweating and smiling!

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you have NetFlix, maybe you can stream a dance fitness dvd and dance with the kids.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    To answer the post above, I don't have children, but I have 12 nieces and nephews and I am using my (3) sister's behavior for my example. I think ignoring your children is not only misconduct, but criminal negligence, so I am slightly surprised that it was suggested as the intention in my post. However, that is okay, I understand that mothers can be passionate.

In my sister's experience that have seen success (it usually has taken a few years); however, they have had to wake up early, exercise late, or have their husbands watch their children while they exercise. In other words, they had to find time to put themselves first.
    I think finding little exercises throughout the day is great, in addition, walking with the kids is awesome and satisfying, but most importantly, I believe that everyone deserves 30 minutes a day for themeselves, especially our MFP post author. She is a mom AND a teacher. She spends her life giving. I was a teacher and a coach for almost five years. That is continual self-sacrifice. I think that she deserves 30 minutes.

I think another post mentioned squats, pushups, and leg lifts...these are great exercises.

end rant.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    If your kids are little, do they nap? I'd do an exercise dvd during that time.
    If they don't nap, do they have quiet time? Would they watch a tv show or movie while you work out ? - i have a 4y and 7y, and work out in the next room every day while they watch a show and play.It's worked for over a year (-:
    Alternatively, you could get up before they do and work out then. I work f/t and do this a few days a week. It sucks, but it's worth the payoff.