Average weight for 5'4

Options
Hey everyone,
I have recently gone from 185-172 lbs in the past couple months, and I am sticking to more of a health lifestyle change then diet. But I am just wondering what the average weight is for a medium build 5'4 so I somewhat can set my goals?

Replies

• PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The "healthy weight" range for a female who is 5'4" is 110 to 144 lbs. The thing to look at is your body mass index (bmi) There are many charts and calculators online. :)
  • zsesame
    zsesame Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have settled at 145 lbs. (142-145). I lost 50 lbs. and decided to stay at the top the BMI for 5'4" so I don't have to cut my daily calories too much.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" highest was 140 lowest 110. Was maintaining 121-124 since january, but last month I gained and am around 125-127. Cutting back down for a couple weeks until i hit 121 again. (I'm small-med frame)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As has been stated, BMI is a range...numerous things dictate where you would fall into that range...build, muscle mass, etc.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Average in America is I think 160 lbs. However healthy is somewhere between 110-150 depending on build and muscle mass.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm 155. I still have some fat to lose. Technically... I am 5' 3 3/4" lol.

I'd go based on how you feel. I like to have muscle and a bust and butt so... Don't wanna go too low.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how old you are and also other stuff like if you have skinny legs and boobs and how you are built. I have bigger boobs and no skinny legs. I weighed 208 and now stay in 160s and that is fine. I am 64. Weight watchers wants me 145 so I think you have to figure out what is right for you. If I am 15 lbs more and can eat some I am ok
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I think it depends on how old you are and also other stuff like if you have skinny legs and boobs and how you are built. I have bigger boobs and no skinny legs. I weighed 208 and now stay in 160s and that is fine. I am 64. Weight watchers wants me 145 so I think you have to figure out what is right for you. If I am 15 lbs more and can eat some I am ok

I agree. I'm 55. When I was in my late teens and early twenties I was around 115-120. I would have been horrified to weigh 150. Then in my thirties, I gained every year until I was around 268 pounds for many years. Now I am perfectly content to be 5'4 and 150 pounds.

• murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 60 years old. Three years ago I weighed over 200lbs. Now I'm 145 and either a size 6 or 8 in pants and a medium top. I'm small to medium boned, but have boobs and a pretty muscular legs. I'm pretty happy where I am now and with maintenance calories of 1490 without exercise, I really wouldn't want to go much lower.

I agree with RedSquadronLeader about having an idea of what you want to look like at your goal weight. My goal was to get back into a size 8, which I had been up to my late 30's/early 40's. And as I mentioned above, you also need to think about maintaining whatever weight you decide to aim for and whether or not it is realistic for the lifestyle you want to live.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    brenn24179 wrote: »

I agree. I'm 55. When I was in my late teens and early twenties I was around 115-120. I would have been horrified to weigh 150. Then in my thirties, I gained every year until I was around 268 pounds for many years. Now I am perfectly content to be 5'4 and 150 pounds.

I have always weighed about this weight (seriously, between 150-160 from 16 to now minus my pregnancies and a few times in the past 5 years). But I've always been an old soul :wink:
  • KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and weigh about 122 - 124 at 5'4". I am comfortable maintaining between 115 - 120 so looking to lose a few lbs. Hopefully I can see some progress.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and at 131 the lowest I have ever weighed since I hit puberty. My husband is quite happy with where I am now but I am looking to lose about another 5 pounds (still have largish pads of fat on my hips, bum and thighs which I would like to shrink a little) I am quite curvy and don't want to lose those curves completely though so not any lower than that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". I feel best between 128-138.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5" I'm currently 137lbs, size 8, my goal and where I'm most comfortable is 125lbs, size 4-6. I tend to carry weight around my mid section/hips/butt though, so my goal and body type may be different than yours.

ETA: I'm 34yrs old
  • AngelaNoriega78
    AngelaNoriega78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and my starting weight was 250. Currently I'm at 150lbs. My goal weight was 130lbs and so far the lowest I've gotten is 144lbs. I got overly comfortable with my weight and started cheating on my calories and obviously have paid the price with weight gain. A lot of ppl have said I've lost enough weight and don't need to lose anymore especially my boyfriend. I still want to reach that 130 mark but as of today I have changed my goal to getting to 140lbs. I decided it was a more realistic goal for the time being. I know I don't want to weight more than 150lbs so I'm trying out different weights right now to see where I feel the best. Everybody carries their weight differently so it's really just about where you feel confident and the healthiest. Everybody is different your BMI is important I've learned. I went to a weight loss doctor when I weighed 144 and they said my BMI was less than 10%. They suggested only losing 1lbs a month it's harder than you might think. Find what feels best to you.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and weigh around 140. I've been much slimmer, my lowest being 115. I came here to lose a few pounds - maybe to 130. But the more I exercise and treat my body right the more I like it, even though my weight hasn't shifted that much, I'm contemplating just staying put and keeping the exercise and healthier food up!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and was really happy with how I looked at 125.
  • ttparks11
    ttparks11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I have a larger build (I wear a size 12 women's shoe, if that helps). I am currently 154 after losing a little over 30 pounds. At my last body comp (when I was a few pounds heavier), my body fat % was 25%. I am hoping to lose 3-4 more pounds, but will be okay if the next body comp shows my body fat % has dropped.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and a semi muscular medium build. I fluctuate between 135-140 (currently 137). Currently wear a size 6-8 pants depending on brand because I was born with hips :p and a size small shirt. I'm 45 years old.