military diet - I'm hungry throughout the day sometimes !!

Options
harrylynch2014
harrylynch2014 Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
How's everybody doing , I have recently started to diet to get back in to football. I'm currently following the military diet because my friends have recommended it too me. I have been on the diet for just nearly two weeks and I have lost 10 pounds with in them 2 weeks. I'm sometimes feeling hungry throughout the day ,what can I do to not feel hungry, drink more water ??

Replies

• harrylynch2014
    Options
    Some of my friends have tried the diet and it's helped weight lose for them. The recommendation for weight lose is 2 pounds per week. Which as time goes on I will lose less weight. It's not effecting my body or anything like that. It's the only diet what has worked so far and it's only a 3 day diet.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Is losing weight for football a thing?
  • harrylynch2014
    Options
    Agreed. Hot dogs, cottage cheese, and ice cream? Not really sustainable.

True , but the diet is 3 days on and 4 days off so it's the only diet working for me ATM. I have had tried other things but with no success.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit (taking in less than you burn), you will lose weight regardless of what you eat. But to feel full and have energy, you need to also consider macros (protein, carbs, fat) and micros (vitamins and minerals). There's no one way of eating for satiety; it varies from person to person. But it doesn't sound like this diet is doing it for you.

http://www.fitwirr.com/health/tips/3-day-diet
  • harrylynch2014
    Options
    the weight loss has nothing to do with the food combination and everything to do with the low calories for 3 days. You could eat literally anything with the same calories in those 3 days and lose the same amount.

The food list itself is arbitrary and quite silly. The diet has nothing to do with the military, and uses the name to pretend some legitimacy.

That's true , of course know that
  • harrylynch2014
    Options

Yeah
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

True , but the diet is 3 days on and 4 days off so it's the only diet working for me ATM. I have had tried other things but with no success.

Sounds a bit like Intermittent Fasting. Is it super low calories on the 3 days? I haven't looked it up but if it is then make sure the foods you do eat are high protein and fat to keep you feeling full. Also make sure you eat enough on the 'off' days

ETA: Just googled it and it seems really low on fats. I would add fats in there, nuts, seeds, butter on the veg etc. I think that would help with the hunger.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'd be hungry too on a bogus diet. *shrug*
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Following the 5:2 diet might be an idea if you prefer to diet in an intermittent fasting style.

Pros:
    Five days at maintenance is really helpful for supporting your training performance and recovery.
    Five days a week eating normal foods you enjoy at maintenance level is great preparation and practice for maintaining at goal weight.
    On the 2 low days there's loads of good suggested recipes which are actually nice food, tasty and enjoyable without silly restrictions (other than the calorie limit of course).
    You get a far more appropriate rate of weight loss - typically about a pound a week.
  • aerdnaveg
    aerdnaveg Posts: 9 Member
    Options

If you're feeling hungry, I don't think it's working.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Some of my friends have tried the diet and it's helped weight lose for them. The recommendation for weight lose is 2 pounds per week. Which as time goes on I will lose less weight. It's not effecting my body or anything like that. It's the only diet what has worked so far and it's only a 3 day diet.

It 'works' because it's very low calorie so you're eating a lot less than you burn, not because it's a magic diet.

It's not a healthy balanced plan in terms of nutrition and it's not sustainable.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How old are you OP? American football or European football (soccer)?

As others have said, the military diet is a very low calorie diet made up of random combinations of arbitrary, not particularly tasty, or nutritious, foods. You lose weight rapidly because you are creating a large calorie deficit but I've never heard of anyone keeping the weight off.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Have you tried plugging your stats and a reasonable goal (hint, 2 lbs/week is only for people with around 100 lbs to lose) and letting MFP calculate a calorie target for you? Then eat a variety of foods within that calorie target, focusing on a balance of foods that provide you nutrition and fill you up. Log accurately and since you are training for a sport, when you exercise you need to eat more. Do you want to pass out on the field because you are only eating 1000 cals doing the military diet? Because that is a real possibility.