Will the ache in my chest when I run go away?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
When I run (or similar- outdoor running, elliptical etc) I get an ache in my chest that's like slap bang in the middle of my chest and radiates out and up. Is this just because I'm out of practice and need to increase my fitness? It makes me stop exercising before my legs start to ache or I get really out of breath and it's quite annoying

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is not diagnosis so don't rely on my word. I can't see you. See if this fits.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/angina/basics/symptoms/con-20031194
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Minus the nausea and arm/neck pain, the angina seems to fit. Is it bad that I associate angina with old and/or overweight people? I guess I'm not very educated on it
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Have it checked out. It could be nothing it could be serious. I had it too and it turned out to be excessive induced astma. My heart would go mad because it was trying to get as much oxygen as needed but my lungs were giving in. It was easily solved in the end.
    BUT I did have it checked by a cardiologist as I feared increasing my exercise at the time. Having it checked gave me the confidence to move more
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, the pain will go away when you pass out. Hopefully the paramedics get to you in time.

See a doctor. As others have said, it could be nothing. Or not.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. Heart racing, I'd get out of breath. Went to the doctor and he prescribed an inhaler for me to use, just 2 puffs before exercise. It helped. The diagnosis was exercise induced asthma. Once we had that figured out, I jogged slower for a week or two and then built up my stamina. Good luck!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My experience with chest pain is that when you go to the emergency room, they don't even make you wait in line. They take you right in before everyone else so it doesn't even take that much time out of your day.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    When I run (or similar- outdoor running, elliptical etc) I get an ache in my chest that's like slap bang in the middle of my chest and radiates out and up. Is this just because I'm out of practice and need to increase my fitness? It makes me stop exercising before my legs start to ache or I get really out of breath and it's quite annoying

Okay so with Chest pain, we typically think of someone having a heart problem right? There are many things that cause chest pain and different types of chest pain. Based on your description it does sound like a common pain due to over exertion as a result of being deconditioned. I always get that pain, but I can tell you that it is less severe and less frequent and goes away much quicker when I continue to do cardio type exercises on a more frequent basis. When I experience this chest pain it is accompanying with a cough too and the pain can be felt in my throat too and even sometimes in my ears haha. Always safe to mention it to your Doctor, but if you don't have any cardiac history and goes away after you rest, I would not be too concerned, just my opinion.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes to the doctor.

Once that's done, if you're cleared: I had chest pain while running when I was starting out. My lung capacity was not great. It was slowly improving but I still had the pains. But my rib cage muscles were also tight.

I took up yoga shortly after running and I believe the yoga helped open up the tight muscles that were in part constricting my rib cage and preventing full breaths.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Chest pain should always be taken seriously. I'd ask your doctor before continuing any exercise that causes you chest pain. It could be nothing, but it's better to seek help when you don't really need it than to neglect a potentially serious problem.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Radiating pain is never a good thing. Doctor. ASAP.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt when you press on it?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Chest pain can be a serious issue. Consult a cardiologist before you exercise to ensure you have no issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Do you burp? Or feel bloated if you go too hard? I have chronic GERD and for some reason, the moment I start any cardio...here comes the crushing chest pain! Even if you never had heartburn, you could have reflux. I had no idea I had a chronic GI problem until I went in terrified of chest pains. But you still need a doc to determine that. If that's the case....Nexium helps some, but knowing what it is helps a lot more.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bottom line-- go see a doc. Radiating chest pain with exertion is cardiac until proven otherwise. Yes, it may be exercise induced asthma or it may be GERD. But, as someone who had my 37 year old, not overweight, active brother die suddenly of a heart attach after ignoring chest pain/pressure as probably just being from allergies/asthma, if you make a wrong assumption, it can be deadly. He passed away during a bike race.

Please do not do anymore exercise until you have this thoroughly checked out. If you do have a partial blockage of a vessel feeding your heart, it may be of no consequence when at rest. But when you put a demand on your heart, it can be an issue, and your heart may not get enough oxygen. This can trigger an arrhythmia or actual ischemia and cell death (ie heart attack).

My brother was young, not diabetic, not overweight. That's why he brushed off his symptoms. Please don't do that.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Ok here's what you do and listen closely:

Stop
    Turn around
    Pick up your phone
    Dial your doctor
    Make an appointment
    Ask your doctor about this

STOP DOING CARDIO UNTIL YOUR DOC SAYS IT'S OK

This x 100.