military diet - I'm hungry throughout the day sometimes !!

Options
2»

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Look I feel hungry at least once everyday I suck it up and get on with it until I can eat.
    If its the whole day then I would question whether the deficit I was using was appropriate.

Honestly I think things like the military are plain rubbish and wouldn't go there, if you are set on following this for three days a week I think you'll have to suck it up on those three days when you are hungry. The advice of maybe trying 5:2 instead is good, look into it op it may be just as effective.

Also to add 10lbs of loss in such a short period of time is too fast, such a rate of loss will affect muscle mass and therefore wil affect your performance on the field, something to think about.....
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Of course you're hungry its a very low calorie diet. No other way to combat that other than eat more food. That diet is like 1100-1200 calories a day I think. That's extremely low especially for a man.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say something a little different:

You are likely going to be hungry because your body isn't used to the diet plan you are on. It may well adjust in time. I know on the same amount of calories I was hungry 6 months ago, but not now. Part of it was just my body getting used to a "new normal".

There are a lot of things that can be done to help prevent hunger while dieting. I know the tricks and tips. But every time I had to in some degree or another just accept that I was going to feel a bit hungry.

2 pounds a week is a pretty brisk rate. Even with proper fats, fiber, and lots of tea, coffee, water and so on you might still be a bit uncomfortable...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ditch the diet and go for long runs to lose weight and to get back in to football. You don't want to faint during tryouts.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The military diet used to intrigue me because of the weight loss results. Problem with that, is that I don't feel like you are getting the proper nutrition you need to fuel your body throughout the day. I personally just don't find it to be enough. I'd rather lose weight at a slower rate as opposed to losing that much that quickly. In the long run, the weight loss might not stick with the military diet.

Not sure if any of that is really making sense. :/
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Here's something I've learned about crash diets, like the so called military diet. They just make it take longer for you to really lose and sustain weight loss. OP - if you're trying to lose weight and you want it to stick, I highly recommend that you figure out how many calories you need to fuel your body and your activity/training, and then take a reasonable deficit from there. Crash diets tend to rebound with gaining all of the weight back and sometimes more and you'll find yourself in the same place 6 months from now, trying to lose weight again. If you do it right the first time, in six months or a year from now, you could be at maintenance with a whole host of new habits that will help you keep the weight off for good.

Here's a saying from the actual military that may illustrate my point:

"Fast is slow, and slow is fast"; I've also heard it as "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast" - it means that if you rush through things, you tend to make mistakes that you have to re-do or that just muck up the mission; if you take the time required to do it right the first time and don't miss steps or make avoidable mistakes, you complete the mission (get to your goal) a lot faster.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say something a little different:

You are likely going to be hungry because your body isn't used to the diet plan you are on. It may well adjust in time. I know on the same amount of calories I was hungry 6 months ago, but not now. Part of it was just my body getting used to a "new normal".

There are a lot of things that can be done to help prevent hunger while dieting. I know the tricks and tips. But every time I had to in some degree or another just accept that I was going to feel a bit hungry.

2 pounds a week is a pretty brisk rate. Even with proper fats, fiber, and lots of tea, coffee, water and so on you might still be a bit uncomfortable...

Difference being you're a woman and 1100-1200 is a low but just about adequate amount of nutrition/calories for some females. OP is male and shouldn't really be considering eating this low long term.

I plugged in my current weight and what I want to lose into MFP and I am consuming 1200 calories a day. If I follow that well with good food and lots of water, it works perfectly for me. Seems too low for a male, though, so I agree with this.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    add a huge salad?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Your body can only metabolize so much fat per day, after that, it goes after lean mass. So, it's likely besides water and some fat, that you're losing muscle. As a football player, that doesn't seem to be what you'd want.

These "friends" who recommended the diet aren't competing with you for positions on the team, are they?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    How's everybody doing , I have recently started to diet to get back in to football. I'm currently following the military diet because my friends have recommended it too me. I have been on the diet for just nearly two weeks and I have lost 10 pounds with in them 2 weeks. I'm sometimes feeling hungry throughout the day ,what can I do to not feel hungry, drink more water ??
    Are your friends RD's? Dude, don't take advice from friends just because they lost weight doing it INCORRECTLY.
    All you have to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn in a day. And that should be a MODERATE calorie deficit, not extreme.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Hot dogs, cottage cheese, and ice cream? Not really sustainable.

True , but the diet is 3 days on and 4 days off so it's the only diet working for me ATM. I have had tried other WEAKLY ATTEMPTED other things but with no success.
    Fixed it. ANY DIET works if you're consistent. The problem with many young men is that they don't count calories and many have NO IDEA how much they really eat in a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Some hunger is expected when dieting. Not starving, eating your fist hungry though.

You should eat the foods you enjoy at small deficit, not some arbitrary diet.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I missed that gif. :laugh: