GAINING.... HOW????

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    People REALLY need to quit telling people to eat MORE! More makes you gain weight!

Not always, when eating in a deficit so extreme your TDEE drops.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    People REALLY need to quit telling people to eat MORE! More makes you gain weight!

Agreed, though OP has only been at this for a week. Not nearly long enough to worry about that.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

She's in like a 500-750 calorie deficit at the absolute max...reasonably aggressive for an already light woman but certainly not "extreme." This is not a woman with a 2500+ TDEE, she's already petite and her maintenance calories are well under 2000, unfortunately.

I'm in this situation too (maintaining though) and the only thing that makes it possible for me to maintain is doing a lot of exercise so I can eat more, because a life lived forever on 1600 calories a day can get a little frustrating when sometimes I want to drink wine or a latte or eat a restaurant meal while still getting appropriate macros and adequate micronutrients.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

She's in like a 500-750 calorie deficit at the absolute max...reasonably aggressive for an already light woman but certainly not "extreme." This is not a woman with a 2500+ TDEE, she's already petite and her maintenance calories are well under 2000, unfortunately.

I'm in this situation too (maintaining though) and the only thing that makes it possible for me to maintain is doing a lot of exercise so I can eat more, because a life lived forever on 1600 calories a day can get a little frustrating when sometimes I want to drink wine or a latte or eat a restaurant meal while still getting appropriate macros and adequate micronutrients.

You don't have to be in an extreme deficit for your TDEE to drop. Many people find that deficits in what most consider to be the moderate range cause them to reduce NEAT calorie expenditure, sometimes to the point of obliterating the intended deficit. I don't know that this is the case with the OP but the broad statement that eating more makes you gain weight or that eating more never helps a person lose weight is an oversimplification and incorrect.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You don't have to be in an extreme deficit for your TDEE to drop. Many people find that deficits in what most consider to be the moderate range cause them to reduce NEAT calorie expenditure, sometimes to the point of obliterating the intended deficit. I don't know that this is the case with the OP but the broad statement that eating more makes you gain weight or that eating more never helps a person lose weight is an oversimplification and incorrect.

I was responding to the poster referring to OP's deficit as "so extreme", not refuting the concept that eating at a deficit can cause a drop in TDEE.
  • carnyking
    carnyking Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Few things to consider :
    1) Try fasting. Push your breakfast later into the day, like 1PM and give yourself an eating window of 8-9 hours that means if you start at 12 you finish at 8PM or 9PM. It has many great health benefits besides helping with weight loss (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/ article based on studies)
    2) Drink more water. Our body tends to store water when we lose weight so we need to flush it out, reduce sodium and carbohydrate intake and increase water consumption (aim for 3-4 litres A DAY (drink pure water not tea or coffee or any other beverage )
    Give this a try for 2-3 days. You should see the scale moving!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    carnyking wrote: »
    Few things to consider :
    1) Try fasting. Push your breakfast later into the day, like 1PM and give yourself an eating window of 8-9 hours that means if you start at 12 you finish at 8PM or 9PM. It has many great health benefits besides helping with weight loss (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/ article based on studies)

It helps weight loss by reducing caloric intake... it's not magical.
    2) Drink more water. Our body tends to store water when we lose weight so we need to flush it out, reduce sodium and carbohydrate intake and increase water consumption (aim for 3-4 litres A DAY (drink pure water not tea or coffee or any other beverage )

Although water is preferred, drinking "pure water" can lead to electrolyte balance and is certainly not needed for hydration.

You can maintain proper hydration with Tea, Diet Coke, or if your calories allow, beer.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I was responding to the poster referring to OP's deficit as "so extreme", not refuting the concept that eating at a deficit can cause a drop in TDEE.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Few things to consider :

fasting will not make you lose weight any faster than a regular calorie deficit. yes, it is a way to control intake, but it won't magically make you lose fat any faster.