Options
2»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Juniper210 wrote: »
    jaxburt wrote: »
    I'm so glad I posted this. One doesn't believe me and most others suggest therapy. I've been in therapy for 30 years. I feel so supported.

And 12 different posts of people offering actual suggestions, advice and support. Don't focus on the negative @jaxburt

Yup
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What do you eat? Even avoiding veggies and fruits - food has textures.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm so glad I posted this. One doesn't believe me and most others suggest therapy. I've been in therapy for 30 years. I feel so supported.

I think people are trying to clarify and understand what you mean. For example you say you don't like the stringy texture but lots of meats can be 'stringy'. Are you eating sauces with veggies in them or smoothies? Are you at risk of developing scurvy? We need more of the story to be supportive or helpful.

Certain therapist are better than others with phobias. CBT would be helpful.

Research nutritional benefits of various fruits and veggies. Learn about the plants they come from. Learn about the cell structures of plants. Maybe the exposure could reduce your aversion.

If not take your vitamins, eat what you can and discuss it with your doctor.

• cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know your goals but I was on a slow deficit for nearly a year to get shredded, and it made me appreciate and enjoy all foods, especially the healthy foods. I don't even crave junk any more, look forward to ANY vegetables and fruit (didn't really like most of them before). You may not need to shred any fat, but it sure "fixed" my taste buds and that was just a added bonus. Food for thought :)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also have problems with texture of food. There are ways to work around it. I also love the smell of oranges/onions but don't actually like eating them. I do like orange juice (pulp free) and will use onion powder in my cooking. Juice might be a good start. Experimenting with smoothies is a good idea. It really surprised me how much I like smoothies once I started making them. I like mine thick, so use frozen fruit.

Your tastes and sensitivity to texture may change over time, so something you didn't like 10 years ago might taste good to you now. Being willing to try new fruits/veggies or those you haven't had in quite some time is very helpful.

I've found certain foods that are okay texture-wise, so if you're anything like me these may work for you: apples (raw), pears (raw), strawberries (raw), carrots (raw), blueberries (frozen), spinach (raw), and broccoli (steamed). I also eat a lot of marinara sauce.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    "Readman's doctors said she is malnourished and has the health of an 80-year old. She weighs about 98 pounds at 5'3"."

There you go.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    regpark85 wrote: »
    The mother should be in front of a judge for neglect and/or abuse.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    regpark85 wrote: »
    The mother should be in front of a judge for neglect and/or abuse.

yes, it's parents job to make sure their kids are getting the right nutrition!
    sad story
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I knew someone through a university friend who only ate potato chips (fries). Literally... He looked ill, greyish skin, bad hair etc.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't get what it needs, it will eventually kill you. A friend of my mom's is doing this right now. He is diabetic and his diet is killing him. His wife says he absolutely will not eat fruit and vegetables. Suicide by malnutrition.
  • emarilynmead216
    emarilynmead216 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally get you! I'm a SUPER picky eater and it's mostly b/c of textures but also some tastes & in my experience it's two fold: 1) there are legitimately textures & tastes I don't like 2) early on in life, that aversion to certain textures & tastes caused me to shut down and develop limiting beliefs ("I'll never like x, y, z")

I'd encourage you to have one "foodventure" a week. Start small with something that you think you don't like, but not so much that it makes your stomach turn. A while ago I forced myself to eat blueberries and guess what, I like them! So last week I moved on to raspberries and... Not so much. The texture is just gross to me. BUT what I realized is the raspberries didn't kill me. I even finished them! That's progress. I probably won't buy them again, but it's a matter of getting more comfortable with different food.

Try smoothies. Try masking things - I used to eat broccoli and cauliflower topped w tons of cheese, eventually I grew to LIKE the taste of these veggies alone and I eat them often w just some garlic salt & cracked pepper now.

Start small and get a little more adventurous each time. You'll make huge progress, realize that foods you don't like won't kill you, and likely find new foods you actually love! You'll surprise youself.

Now, if I could only take my own advice and start eating fish.... :)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm struggling with the nutrition part of this. I've never eaten fruits or vegetables. It's a texture thing. I love the smell of oranges or onions, they make me squirm if I put them in my mouth. They pop and have strings and stuff in them. Like I said, it's a texture thing. HELP!

I used to have a couple texture issues. I couldn't eat eggs for the longest time or meat unless it was heavily processed and nugget shaped.

I love oranges, but, cant just bite into a section of them. I use a knife, cut open each individual section and then just pick the fruit bits out of it to avoid the strings. I can't stand biting into an apple, but, I do like apple when I've sliced it into small pieces.

Experiment with it. Don't feel bad if you just can't get over your hatred for something. If you keep trying, you will find something you like or find a way of preparing it that you can tolerate.

I'm never, ever going to like lima beans. Ever.

I would just try smaller pieces of fruits or vegetables. Just clean them carefully of any bits you think will be an issue. Carrots and apples both have very consistent textures and may work.

As a kid, I never ate my vegetables, because my mom included lima beans in everything. Have I mentioned I hate them? Anyways, I've worked myself up to eating around 10 servings per day of fruit and veg.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I you eat neither fruits nor vegetables you will die young.
  • jaxburt
    jaxburt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done well so far
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I've done well so far

Why did you even post this then? It seems that you don't want to change hence why you didn't acknowledge any of the good advice that multiple members have given you.