How to re-find mojo?

I initially got motivated for this journey by watching 'fat, sick and nearly dead' (film). It's about juicing and I'm not into juicing, but it still motivated me, together with using a nutrininja to make delicious shakes for breakfast ( I'm still doing that). I lost 2.5 stone. Now I'm .5 stone up again (ie have still lost 2 stone) and I'm in danger of undoing everything but I just can't get motivated to try! How do you get your mojo back? Can anyone suggest any great films/blogs etc that help you to become enthused when you don't really care much right now? Or how do you do it?
«1

Replies

  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,919 Member
    you need to do it for you - because YOU want to - not because a film tries to scare you into something (or away from some food choices). obviously using a film for motivation didn't work for you the first time (long term at least) so why would you expect it would work a second time?
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Firstly, good for you for what you've already accomplished!

    I would suggest perhaps going to your doctor and getting some blood work done, and discussing your family's health history and what you might be more prone to if you don't keep yourself on track. For me, realizing that my family has serious pancreas issues (when my dad became hospitalized - he's okay now) helped me cut out soft drinks without ever looking back.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    you need to do it for you - because YOU want to - not because a film tries to scare you into something (or away from some food choices). obviously using a film for motivation didn't work for you the first time (long term at least) so why would you expect it would work a second time?

    Thanks, but it did work the first time, enough to get almost to my goal weight and keep it off for a year!
    EmPersson wrote: »
    Firstly, good for you for what you've already accomplished!

    I would suggest perhaps going to your doctor and getting some blood work done, and discussing your family's health history and what you might be more prone to if you don't keep yourself on track. For me, realizing that my family has serious pancreas issues (when my dad became hospitalized - he's okay now) helped me cut out soft drinks without ever looking back.

    That's a good idea, thanks! My family has a bad heart history, and although I'm not overweight enough to really have to worry about that, it's maybe worth bearing in mind!
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Commitment outweighs motivation. You have to do it even when you don't feel like it because (as you've discovered) motivation wears off. Success goes to those who are willing to put in the effort day in and day out simply because they need to.
    Yes, I agree, but I think I need motivation to become committed. I can't separate them. That's kind of like saying 'you're not motivated? Do it anyway!'
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,919 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    you need to do it for you - because YOU want to - not because a film tries to scare you into something (or away from some food choices). obviously using a film for motivation didn't work for you the first time (long term at least) so why would you expect it would work a second time?

    Thanks, but it did work the first time, enough to get almost to my goal weight and keep it off for a year!
    EmPersson wrote: »
    Firstly, good for you for what you've already accomplished!

    I would suggest perhaps going to your doctor and getting some blood work done, and discussing your family's health history and what you might be more prone to if you don't keep yourself on track. For me, realizing that my family has serious pancreas issues (when my dad became hospitalized - he's okay now) helped me cut out soft drinks without ever looking back.

    That's a good idea, thanks! My family has a bad heart history, and although I'm not overweight enough to really have to worry about that, it's maybe worth bearing in mind!

    right, but the whole point is the film wasn't enough to get you to stick with it and not start regressing...going film to film for motivation is still going to be a short term fix...vs. wanting to do it for yourself..
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Any of Lou Schuler's books. My favorite is "The Lean Muscle Diet". Written with a good amount of humor and great workouts. Much anecdotal evidence regarding health and diet and exercise. Enjoyable 35 minute workouts with great results. 59 year old lady here and someone just told me I have a butt like a teenager! Used on Amazon or eBay cheap..
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    @SingRunTing is right. Good nutrition and exercise have to become daily habits, required hygiene like taking a shower, that have recognized necessity beyond "motivation".

    However, you haven't shared your height, weight, caloric intake, or exercise taken with us. It may be that your goals are unrealistic for maintenance. Hard for us to say.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Well, if you need a visual, go over to the Motivation board here and search for the before/after photo threads. You'll see page after page of pictures of people who used My Fitness Pal to lose impressive amounts of weight. You might find it inspirational.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Did you watch the sequel as well? Part of it was exploring why one person had a lot of success at keeping the weight off, and someone else put it all back on. Things like having a support system and being able to make lasting change in your life. Maybe give them both a rewatch, as the first one clearly resonated with you. Try to find "From Fat to Finish Line" as well, I found that one very inspirational, and I've watched it a couple more times since the first viewing to get back some of that inspiration.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Did you watch the sequel as well? Part of it was exploring why one person had a lot of success at keeping the weight off, and someone else put it all back on. Things like having a support system and being able to make lasting change in your life. Maybe give them both a rewatch, as the first one clearly resonated with you. Try to find "From Fat to Finish Line" as well, I found that one very inspirational, and I've watched it a couple more times since the first viewing to get back some of that inspiration.

    Thanks - no I hadn't heard of it - will check it out!
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @SingRunTing is right. Good nutrition and exercise have to become daily habits, required hygiene like taking a shower, that have recognized necessity beyond "motivation".

    However, you haven't shared your height, weight, caloric intake, or exercise taken with us. It may be that your goals are unrealistic for maintenance. Hard for us to say.

    Yes I see your point. Definitely not unrealistic - right now my BMI is about 28/9, and calorie goal about 1800. Not much exercise except walking, and constant access to treats at work.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Any of Lou Schuler's books. My favorite is "The Lean Muscle Diet". Written with a good amount of humor and great workouts. Much anecdotal evidence regarding health and diet and exercise. Enjoyable 35 minute workouts with great results. 59 year old lady here and someone just told me I have a butt like a teenager! Used on Amazon or eBay cheap..
    Oh thanks - I'll check it out! Good stuff.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Well, if you need a visual, go over to the Motivation board here and search for the before/after photo threads. You'll see page after page of pictures of people who used My Fitness Pal to lose impressive amounts of weight. You might find it inspirational.

    Oh good idea, thanks!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Commitment outweighs motivation. You have to do it even when you don't feel like it because (as you've discovered) motivation wears off. Success goes to those who are willing to put in the effort day in and day out simply because they need to.
    Yes, I agree, but I think I need motivation to become committed. I can't separate them. That's kind of like saying 'you're not motivated? Do it anyway!'

    That's exactly what I'm saying...

    Counting calories and exercising are something I do because it's good for me. Brushing my teeth is also good for me and I don't have to be motivated to do it. I just do it because I should.

    Um, yes. Are you the kind of person who tells people who are depressed to just 'cheer up'? Just because you can do it, doesn't mean everyone else can.

    Dont look at it that way. They are trying to impart to you, that you need to find the determination to do it forever. If you diet down to your goal, and then go back to your old ways, you will just be back at the same point over and over again.

    Learning to do things properly long term will give you the tools to succeed for your entire life.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,183 Member
    @CiaraCatch Today I stepped on the scale and it said I weighed 168. That's just a number. That's just a number I haven't seen possibly since I was suffering a bout of pneumonia at the age of 14 after doing an inadequately nourished crash diet of only dry popcorn and diet Dr Pepper for several months. That's just a number that is lower than 168.8, which is just another number which marked the lowest weight I had reached on this project as of May 22. In the month between May 22 and June 19, I lost my mojo. I gained rapidly with overeating and binge days beginning May 22 and persisting for a week. I got a grip and managed to get back into a calorie deficit for a few days then lost control again. I managed to get back on the program after only one day and stay in a calorie deficit for a few more days, but another opportunity to overeat presented, and I lost control again. The only thing I know about the third time is that I didn't log accurately. I. Just. Ate. That was my birthday. I was 55. I had spent 41 years trying to kill myself with food before awakening to life and the possibility of living it in good health at midnight of January 1, 2000. Even then, it took 16 more years before I found myfitnesspal. Just thinking about how far I went in destructive eating for so many years, and how far I've come toward health and wellness gave me just enough mojo to get out of bed the next day and have breakfast. And then lunch. And then dinner. And then stop. I have been in this new calorie deficit now for 10 days. I've done some cardio exercising. That's no change. I've done some weightlifting. That's a change, but it's not much. I've had restaurant food (Thai, Friday) ice cream, (Blue Bell, every day), and sweet treats along with my die.t food. But I've stayed in a calorie deficit. and today's just a number is the lowest number I've seen in this *positional displacement*. That's how this mojo thing works. Just get out of bed and have breakfast, eat your meals, and stop eating. Repeat.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Go and look at all those XXL size clothes in your wardrobe that you no longer need to wear and think to yourself, if I keep going the way I am going which pair of XXL pants will I wear on Christmas Day when I am eating all that good food and feeling horrible inside because I could have stopped this happening when I posted on MFP back in June. Your Christmas meal will be so much more enjoyable when you you are in control of your life and not spiralling towards obesity and fat related disease.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    There's a new show in the U.S. called " The Big Fat Truth". It was started by a producer from "The Biggest Loser". It is not a competition but uses group support to jump start healthy living for 90 days.