Stuck on same weight for awhile. Guess you would say I have plateaued. Need some advice.

OK. So I lost the first 25 pounds with steady progress each week. Now I have been stuck for over a month now with my weight fluctuating 1 to 3 pounds. What can I do to jump start my weight loss again? Do I need to cut major calories for awhile? Need some advice. Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Have you reevaluated your calorie goal since losing weight? You may want to reenter your details and perhaps slow your rate of loss.

Ensuring you're logging accurately might be helpful too - I find it becomes easy to get complacent and a bit lazy after weeks of success...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Log accurately. That's all it's going to take.

For instance, if you are still working construction that's probably worth an "active" setting, however, in your 40's you might be a manager, so maybe "slightly active" would be more accurate. If you recently got a desk job, go for "sedentary". The difference between each of those settings is several hundred calories each. The habits of eating you got into to get down from 250 to 220 had to change to get you down to 200. They have to change again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    OK. So I lost the first 25 pounds with steady progress each week. Now I have been stuck for over a month now with my weight fluctuating 1 to 3 pounds. What can I do to jump start my weight loss again? Do I need to cut major calories for awhile? Need some advice. Thanks

You don't need to 'cut major calories' just take another 100 off your calorie goal.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Log accurately. That's all it's going to take.

For instance, if you are still working construction that's probably worth an "active" setting, however, in your 40's you might be a manager, so maybe "slightly active" would be more accurate. If you recently got a desk job, go for "sedentary". The difference between each of those settings is several hundred calories each. The habits of eating you got into to get down from 250 to 220 had to change to get you down to 200. They have to change again.

I always make sure to log accurately. So you're saying drop a couple hundred calories a day would probably get me going again.
  • mhwitt74
    edited June 2017
    Have you reevaluated your calorie goal since losing weight? You may want to reenter your details and perhaps slow your rate of loss.

Ensuring you're logging accurately might be helpful too - I find it becomes easy to get complacent and a bit lazy after weeks of success...

I always make sure to log everything. I reset my goal after the first 25 pound loss and it took about 200 calories off my day. I have been at that for over a month a no change.

• taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    If you haven't readjusted your caloric intake down to account for your now lower weight, you could be eating closer to maintenance. Plateaus are usually caused by either not reducing caloric intake to account for your lower weight or not being accurate with what you are eating.
  • mhwitt74
    taziarj wrote: »
    If you haven't readjusted your caloric intake down to account for your now lower weight, you could be eating closer to maintenance. Plateaus are usually caused by either not reducing caloric intake to account for your lower weight or not being accurate with what you are eating.

Thanks for the advice. I readjusted my goal and intake. It dropped me down to 1520 calories a day. It was at 1780.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Try the new calorie number you mentioned are you using a food scale? Because this will help tighten up your accuracy.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    How do you determine your calories (measure food, food scale, eyeballing portions)? Have you recently replaced the batteries in your scale!
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Have you been stressed out? I was stalled for 3 weeks or so and the problem was stress. As soon as I relaxed again the weight started coming off. Go figure.
  • mhwitt74
    Try the new calorie number you mentioned are you using a food scale? Because this will help tighten up your accuracy.

Yes I measure everything. Gonna try this lowered calorie intake and see what happens. Thanks!
  • mhwitt74
    How do you determine your calories (measure food, food scale, eyeballing portions)? Have you recently replaced the batteries in your scale!

Measure and weigh it all. I haven't changed batteries in a long time.