Saggy skin

Options
How to keep from getting saggy skin?? After having a baby and now losing weight I'm nervous my skin is going to sag I don't want that So how do I prevent it ???

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Use the search function and type in 'loose skin.' You'll find a lot of info. Best of luck.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    One of the causes of loose skin not all is losing weight at a rapid weight. I would recommend losing weight at a slower pace, staying hydrated, and incorporating a program that does not only include cardio but also strength training. Progressive lifting or even adding some resistance to your cardio will help.

The thing is it's also about genetics though and age as well. However, if you want to lose weight don't let the idea of getting loose skin deter you from trying to be your best you and being more healthy.

But yeah slow weight lose I'm 5'3 was 188 pounds when I started now 150 pounds losing weight at 0.5 pounds a week. I also exfoliate my skin not sure if that does anything haha :smile:
    Good luck!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    There's actually no real method that is reliable at all. After doing this for years, I've worked with many people who you'd think shouldn't have loose skin (lost weight slowly) or did a bunch of things like creams, wraps, etc.
    The truth is it going to differ from person to person. What I have found it that a person who has 80+lbs to lose, will invariably have some loose skin. Genetics, age, and how much one has to lose will be the determining factors. The only option to get RID of it is surgery. Anything else is usually just a temporary fix and/or has to be done daily to camouflage it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, lost over70 lbs. I have some loose skin, but it's way better than staying fat. I went from size 20 to 6-8, depending on brand. In my opinion, i look great. I also get lots of compliments from people who know me, and know how my body has changed and complete strangers, commenting on my athletic looks. I finally look the way i felt for the last 30 years, lol. Don't let this worry stop you from getting healthier, i only wish that I've done it sooner.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 babies and was obese, lost 80 lbs and I've been in maintenance for over a year. Definitely lots of saggy skin on my tummy and boobs. But as someone said earlier, it's still better than being obese. I feel confident enough to wear a bikini despite the loose skin and stretch marks that will probably never go away.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I already have some loose skin at 55 pounds lost and still have between 35 and 55 pounds to go. If you get it, you get it. I would rather have saggy skin than be obese and I wear it with pride.

The majority of the time if you get sagging skin it is genetic based on your collagen levels in your skin and you can't change it. Wraps, lotions, and potions aren't going to fix it or prevent it.

Slower loss might help but YMMV. Keep well hydrated, eat food with lots of nutrients in it, resistance train, and hope for the best. Even the things I've mentioned may not do anything but they are healthy for you and can't make it worse. There really is no way to ensure you don't get it except with surgery.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 90 lbs down. Tons of lose skin, more to lose. Genetics. Boo...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Also, my experience has been that loose skin continues to shrink for quite a while after reaching maintenance weight. For me, it definitely kept shrinking through at least the first year, and I was 59-60 while losing 60+ pounds. I'm in year 2 now; shrinking has slowed but I'm not certain it's stopped.

Another factor is how much residual subcutaneous fat remains. I wish we'd lose fat starting with the outermost layer and proceeding neatly inward, but it doesn't work that way. We can lose fat from anywhere within our fat mass. The mass can get squishier (for lack of a better term), like a water balloon with a little water (but no air) left in it.

True loose skin is very thin, like wrinkles in fabric. Pinch some skin somewhere with minimal fat, like the back of your hand: It's thin. Thicker folds, like half an inch or so, are more likely skin with some subcutaneous squishy fat underneath. That squishy fat will conspire with gravity to keep the skin stretched out.

If you reach goal weight and still have some of this, that's a good reason to consider recomposition (in brief, eating around maintenance while doing a progressive lifting program to slowly gain muscle while slowly losing more fat). Some bulk & cut cycles would be another option.

IME, it's the thin wrinkles of just loose skin that shrink best on their own, with time.

• philyflyazz
    philyflyazz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ambolene cream and Saran Wrap might work for this
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've lost 97 lbs and I'm 41. I have loose skin on my legs, boobs and tummy mostly. I lost weight pretty quickly but I really think I'd have the loose skin regardless of how fast I lost weight. It just happens. I will say it gets much better after you stop losing. But it takes a few months. I had lots of loose skin on my knees (which was so weird) and it did go away after about 6 months. I think the tummy and boobs is a mom thing. My husband doesn't care so I don't either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Ambolene cream and Saran Wrap might work for this
    No it won't. You're not reducing the actual tissue mass. You're just contracting it and it will return to normal after wrap and cream wear off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png