"Lifting barbells is bad for you"

Options
This is what a trainer I just met told me. According to him lifting weights is terrible for you because it puts too much pressure on the spine, he also asked me why i was squatting below 90 degrees. I told him because I can. He only believes in those stupid TRX exercises and bodyweight. Needless to say I will not be returning for a second session. Are squats, deadlifts, etc so terrible for a beginner? And should I work my way up to them and start with machines or dumbbells. Advice?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to start with dumbbells, but if your form is correct for squats and deadlifts there is no reason to regress. I would avoid machines. As for squatting below parallel it depends on the person, their join mechanics, and their goals. It's far from off limits and many people can do it with no additional risk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I find it hard/awkward to stop at 90%. Getting low has never been a problem for me. It's getting back up, lol. Anyway, like usmcmp said, if you can do the exercises with good form all is well. I do think that bodyweight and dumbbell exercises are overlooked when they could be better options for some people. But barbells are fine.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I'm all for TRX and bodyweight , but im also all for weights and obviously the barbell. Every trainer is gonna be different, find one that you click with and specializes in what you enjoy. When done correctly, barbell lifts are very safe and i believe they are good for our bodies
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't like the advice. But will challenge you on the "TRX is stupid". You can use the TRX for so many things, strength, stretch, balance! It's awesome!
  • notfunnymom
    notfunnymom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 90 degrees. Body weight exercises are very effective and to be used ALONG WITH weight training. Other than that...good choice on not going back. I will say that it is very important as a beginner to learn proper form when lifting.

I 100 % agree that form is everything.
  • notfunnymom
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I find it hard/awkward to stop at 90%. Getting low has never been a problem for me. It's getting back up, lol. Anyway, like usmcmp said, if you can do the exercises with good form all is well. I do think that bodyweight and dumbbell exercises are overlooked when they could be better options for some people. But barbells are fine.

It's just natural for me to go below 90 degrees. He was adamant that it's not safe though. Oh well, not going back.
  • notfunnymom
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    I don't like the advice. But will challenge you on the "TRX is stupid". You can use the TRX for so many things, strength, stretch, balance! It's awesome!

I'm sure it's a good workout, but I don't enjoy it one bit.
  • notfunnymom
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Trx is a fine tool. It's extremely useful. It's far from stupid.

Being said the trainer sounds like he is very niche and doesn't get out much and is new to the game. I'd hard pass. He seems to quick to pass judgement on things in favor of promoting his one style of training.

He did seem very judgemental and "my way is the only way" kinda person.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 90 degrees. Body weight exercises are very effective and to be used ALONG WITH weight training. Other than that...good choice on not going back. I will say that it is very important as a beginner to learn proper form when lifting.

I 100 % agree that form is everything.

Learning how to focus in on the exact muscle you are working using perfect form is part of the challenge. Arnold talked about guys who are in the profession who cant quite get to the top of their game because they never learned how to really focus in on the muscle. It's not easy to do and I would say I am only effective at doing it 60% of the time. Part of it is an inability to check the ego at the door. Work smarter not harder.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    He only believes in those stupid TRX exercises and bodyweight. Needless to say I will not be returning for a second session. Are squats, deadlifts, etc so terrible for a beginner?

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, yes?
  • notfunnymom
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    He only believes in those stupid TRX exercises and bodyweight. Needless to say I will not be returning for a second session. Are squats, deadlifts, etc so terrible for a beginner?

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, yes?

Pretty much! Monday I'm meeting a new trainer and hopefully we click!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Anyone who makes the claim "Lifting barbells is bad for you" has shown in a single sentence how little they know about fitness, training, and health - and that you can safely ignore whatever input they have entirely on those subjects.

On the positive side, at least he showed his knowledge up front rather than 6 months or a year down the road.

Or worse, charging actual money for his 'advice'.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It's just natural for me to go below 90 degrees. He was adamant that it's not safe though. Oh well, not going back.

Lol wuut. Use it ir lose it! When you're older your body will love you for going full ROM! If you dont do full ROM you're body will lose the ability to sit as you get older lol.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    my favourite reason ever why it's 'bad' for you was overheard at the gym: 'you'll get shorter'.

it's got a certain mad logic to it, of course XD. probably why i enjoyed it so much.