I've exercised over 300 hours since April and lost only 1 Lb

Options
2»

Replies

• CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You don't appear to be eating back your exercise calories (or even including them in your MFP diary)

Therein lies your problem.

If you've been doing it this way for months then maybe it's time to try eating back your execrise calories?
  • aenvoy
    aenvoy Posts: 4
    Options
    I was reading a book by Jillian Micheals and she said she eats oer 2000 cals.. because of how much she works out.. on Weight watchers you add calories if you workout..I am guessing we are all different and you may try a calorie boost for a few days..it's scary I know..but when I was working out a lot I lost nothing until I ate more.
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    LOL there is not way I could work out 3 hours at a time. I only work out about 45-90 minutes with each session. If I am just weight lifting then I only burn about 150-250, but when doing cardio I burn much more.
    What I've gathered is that each of your workouts is about 3 hours.. and you only burn 300 calories per work out (this is going by average) ... Does that really make any sense? <________________<

I was thinking the same thing, in 3 hours I would burn around 2100 calories give or take, (if I was still alive!!!) I know a male and female burn calories differentley, but that seems awful low to me. Just a suggestion, because it could be a number of different things, but maybe try a different hrm, and switch up your routine. I don't know many folks that workout for 3 hours at a time, you should be able to get an efficent workout in in 30min. to an hour.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My guess is workingou too much. Cortisol can have a very negative effect on weight loss.

Take some days off and don't sweat it too much. If you're wanting to see the scale drop, look at dropping your carb intake to 75ish grams and up your fat intake to compensate. Your protein looks to be at a pretty good level.

As someone said, you look great though.

Are you doing a lot of cardio? If so, I'd recommend ditching that and going to High Intensity Intervals (HIIT). Keep doing the weights, but again, you need to have your rest days.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    LOL there is not way I could work out 3 hours at a time. I only work out about 45-90 minutes with each session. If I am just weight lifting then I only burn about 150-250, but when doing cardio I burn much more.
    What I've gathered is that each of your workouts is about 3 hours.. and you only burn 300 calories per work out (this is going by average) ... Does that really make any sense? <________________<

I was thinking the same thing, in 3 hours I would burn around 2100 calories give or take, (if I was still alive!!!) I know a male and female burn calories differentley, but that seems awful low to me. Just a suggestion, because it could be a number of different things, but maybe try a different hrm, and switch up your routine. I don't know many folks that workout for 3 hours at a time, you should be able to get an efficent workout in in 30min. to an hour.
    90 min x 98 session = 8820 minutes total-- 147 hours.
    300 hours / 98 sessions = average of 3.06 hours per session.

somewhere your HRM is screwing up.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

90 min x 98 session = 8820 minutes total-- 147 hours.
    300 hours / 98 sessions = average of 3.06 hours per session.

somewhere your HRM is screwing up.

Your HRM is absolutley screwing up, but even at that rate....147 hours of working out in 4 months, you still should be losing weight.......unless you are consuming to many or waaaay to little calories. My husband has horrible eating habits. He is over weight, but he doesn't come close to 1000 calories a day as he has trouble eating during the day....one snack and dinner....he never loses a pound! His metabolism has slowed......
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your calorie intake at all? You might want to consider yo-yoing or zig-zagging your calories. If you're at 1400, try a few days where you bounce between 1250 and 1800 or so. Make sure this is NET calories (eating back your exercise calories). Also, you might find that your cheat weekend spurns some progress. That was my other suggestion: put in a cheat day every 2 or 3 weeks. It's like a turbo boost to your body and can often shock the metabolism back into gear.
  • brookesready
    Options
    Maybe I should have said that its not 3 hours at one time. I wear my HRM when walking/ running with my dog and sometimes doing heavy cleaning around the house. At the beginning of April I was working out 6-7 days a week for around 90-120 mins per day. I ate back my exercise calories during that time and would burn around 600-900 calories.. doing mostly cardio. I have reduced my exercise days and the intensity the last month and half or so. My focus right now is on weight training/ toning. My Hrm is pretty reliable It is a polar FT4. The calories burned are just a little under what the Machines at the gym say. I record everything that I eat. I actually pre-plan my meals each day, sometimes even the day before. I measure my foods and I cook all of my meals and create recipes on mfp so I know I am not under estimating my calories. Even if my HRM was screwed up, I should still be losing weight since I go to the gym routinely and record my food.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    No I do not eat back my exercise calories. I eat about 90% clean. I work out about 4-6x a week. I weight train about 4 of those days. I really only burn about 200-300 calories each session. I have been on this Journey since Feb. 1st. My before pictures are from January. I will open up my diary to the public. Dont judge me on this last weekend though lol. It was my first cheat weekend in months and I went to a wedding.

First off you are doing a great job with the working out and clean eating!!! Wowwee, I tried to eat clean but with my schedule and living location that isn't possible.

I suspect that you are accidentally putting your body into starvation mode. I did this my first moth of this lifestyle change. I also think you should track your exercise cals here that way you can see how much you need to eat back each day. I also invested in a Body Bugg that tracks my calories burned all day long not just during exercise session which I found to be more help since it puts my food intake between 1200-2000 each day, which depends on my workout and activities for that day.

Hope this helps a little bit and if something is confusing please ask, I wrote this at work and kept getting interupted.

Good luck and hope you can figure this out soon :-)
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had a problem where I was at a "stall" as someone called it. I was stuck at 258 pounds and actually ended up gaining some weight back. I shot right back to 264. A lot of people told me that I should start eating back my exercise calories. I was going to the gym 1-2 hours a day and only setting up 1200 calories on my food diary. I didn't realize I was putting my body in starvation mode. I was only eating 1200 calories a day, but I was burning between 600-1000 calories. So it was like I was eating next to nothing each day. As a woman, you need to make sure you net at least 1200 calories a day. You can see your net calories on you home page at the top in that last column. I start making sure that my net calories was at least 1200 with food AND exercise taken into account. It made a big difference. I'm currently down to 254 and still losing a pound a day with the 30 Day Shred. Hope this is helpful.
  • brookesready
    Options
    Thanks girl.. I appreciate it! I use to record my exercise on here and recently stopped because when I would eat them back I actually gained a few lbs. Once I upped my calories to 1450 and stopped recording the exercise/ eating them back I lost the pounds that I had gained.
    No I do not eat back my exercise calories. I eat about 90% clean. I work out about 4-6x a week. I weight train about 4 of those days. I really only burn about 200-300 calories each session. I have been on this Journey since Feb. 1st. My before pictures are from January. I will open up my diary to the public. Dont judge me on this last weekend though lol. It was my first cheat weekend in months and I went to a wedding.

First off you are doing a great job with the working out and clean eating!!! Wowwee, I tried to eat clean but with my schedule and living location that isn't possible.

I suspect that you are accidentally putting your body into starvation mode. I did this my first moth of this lifestyle change. I also think you should track your exercise cals here that way you can see how much you need to eat back each day. I also invested in a Body Bugg that tracks my calories burned all day long not just during exercise session which I found to be more help since it puts my food intake between 1200-2000 each day, which depends on my workout and activities for that day.

Hope this helps a little bit and if something is confusing please ask, I wrote this at work and kept getting interupted.

Good luck and hope you can figure this out soon :-)
  • janel814
    Options
    I understand that. Like I said your "diet" or food intake (what I call it :-)) is fantastic, the more I read this post the more I think you are burning a lot more calories during the day than your think and not from traditional exercise. To explain why I think this....right now I can burn anywhere between 2600 -3500 calories each day this means I keep my food intake at 1600-2100 calories. I am was really strict in the beginning but have since I am working out 2xs each day I have slacked off a bit with tracking everything. When I first started wearing the Bugg it was very apparent that keeping a 1200 cal per day food intake was not going to work. With working out once a day 30-55 mins (I do Turbo Fire) it placed my calorie difference much higher than 1000 cals. I mention the 1000 cal difference b/c when I talked to my doctor that is what they suggested not to go over to lose 2lbs per wk. Anything higher than that 1000 cal difference makes the body think it is starving.

Thanks girl.. I appreciate it! I use to record my exercise on here and recently stopped because when I would eat them back I actually gained a few lbs. Once I upped my calories to 1450 and stopped recording the exercise/ eating them back I lost the pounds that I had gained.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you have your daily activities set, most people don't count things like cleaning the house as exercise, because that would be included in your normal daily activity. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I consider "exercise" as anything I have to stretch before and after, and sweat bucket loads during. Wearing a hrm all day is not going to be accurate at all, I don't care how much it cost or what brand it is, unless you are doing all the calculations to subtract normal daily activity fom what the hrm says when you wear it all day.
  • Robscofle
    Robscofle Posts: 40
    Options
    If you are really struggling to lose despite strict calorie counting and regular exercise. Visit your local community doctor/GP and request a blood test for thyroxine to make sure you do not have a metabolic disorder such as hypothyroidism that is preventing you from losing weight. It is not always what calories you eat versus calories you expend.
  • Robscofle
    Robscofle Posts: 40
    Options
    Or shoud I say...It is not always a simple case of clories in/out, as low thyroxine levels reduce the rate at which calories are burned despite your best efforts. Another sign of hypothyroidism is tiredness excluding normal haemoglobin, folate and vitamin B12 levels.
  • brookesready
    Options
    I have mine set at sedentary. If I'm down on my knees scrubbing the floor or painting walls, I'm breaking a sweat. I never said I wear my Hrm all day bud.
    Depending on how you have your daily activities set, most people don't count things like cleaning the house as exercise, because that would be included in your normal daily activity. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I consider "exercise" as anything I have to stretch before and after, and sweat bucket loads during. Wearing a hrm all day is not going to be accurate at all, I don't care how much it cost or what brand it is, unless you are doing all the calculations to subtract normal daily activity fom what the hrm says when you wear it all day.
  • brookesready
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will have to consider this. I do not have a general physician though. Is this something you can just call them up and they will do for you?

Or shoud I say...It is not always a simple case of clories in/out, as low thyroxine levels reduce the rate at which calories are burned despite your best efforts. Another sign of hypothyroidism is tiredness excluding normal haemoglobin, folate and vitamin B12 levels.
  • janel814
    Options
    I think that was directed at my comment and I don't mean to overstep on your topic, so I'll make this quick...

@jeffpettis - The Body Bugg is not a HRM as a matter of fact it doesn't even monitor your heart rate to figure out how many calories you are burning. It is the same device they use on the Biggest Loser which calculates how many calories you burn for total day.

Back at you Brooke, it is a great idea to get a medical opinion specific for you b/c we are all different. I really hope that discussing is helping b/c I know it helps me when I have questions :-)
    I have mine set at sedentary. If I'm down on my knees scrubbing the floor or painting walls, I'm breaking a sweat. I never said I wear my Hrm all day bud.