Can I please get some thoughts?

Options
Dylan_Nizel
Dylan_Nizel Posts: 10 Member
So before I complain to my son's doctor, I wanted to get some of your thoughts. Recently I took my son to his doctor to get a physical. He was healthy, but the doctor said he has 30 lbs to lose. I forget exactly what weight the doctor said he was but it was 190 something. He is also 5'9. Now I know for a fact that for a teen his age, weight should not even be a problem. He isn't even overweight!!! But here is the part that really has me furious and wondering about his doctor. The doctor put my son on a daily calorie limit and here is the kicker: it is 1500 calories. The same amount of calories my fully matured adult body is eating to lose weight. He is a child!! How is this healthy for him? Me losing 2 lbs a week in this, his high metabolism probably will lose 4! My son now feels awful about the way he looks and now he won't eat any sugar. I'm worried about him! What are your thoughts and how can I help him? Please respond because I need help.

Replies

• captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I'm five nine and my "healthy weight" is 180
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    How old is he?

is he 190lb of muscle or is he podgy? (looking at this through parental eyes won't help here. be objective)

if he's still growing and active then 1500 imo is stupid. Growing takes energy

You don't always have to follow doctors advice.

If he's at the right age get him into fitness and weight training. He can address any body issues he has with that.
  • Dylan_Nizel
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    How old is he?

is he 190lb of muscle or is he podgy? (looking at this through parental eyes won't help here. be objective)

If he's at the right age get him into fitness and weight training. He can address any body issues he has with that.
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    How old is he?

Well he isn't a stick if that's what you mean. My whole family already goes to 9-rounds fitness club.
  • Dylan_Nizel
    Options
    how old is you're son ? when you say your son is not eating sugar do you mean junk food ?

He is 15. He won't eat candy, chips, soda, etc
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    you should be proud of him for not wanting junk food i don't understand why you would be upset ?

Because if this happened right after the doctor's visit it could evolve into orthorexia.

OP: He is overweight for his height, but not dramatically. It might be time to focus on getting even more active as a family as well as centering meals around lean protein and filling vegetables. I wouldn't have him counting calories, but taking action as a family to build healthy habits to help lower his weight is a good idea.

Do start teaching him about macros and about micros. Teach him about balance and that treats can fit in from time to time without causing issues.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    1500cal may be appropriate for him. If he eats at that intake for a couple of weeks and it has deleterious effect on him, low energy, excessive weight loss, obsessive behaviours etc., you can always go online and revise his calorie allowance with the help of a TDEE calculator at that point rather than dismissing it out of hand based on your emotional reaction. A second opinion couldn't hurt but beware of much more than that, you don't want to teach him to doctor shop until he hears what he wants any more than you want him to develop an ED.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    how old is you're son ? when you say your son is not eating sugar do you mean junk food ?

He won't eat candy, chips, soda, etc

Good.

We should all follow his example.

at 5'9" .... 190 seems heavy

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    1. You can ignore it.
    2. Get a second doctor's opinion on what a healthy weight and rate of growth for your son should be.
    3. Calm down. Realize your ds may be overweight and doing something now could be healthier than continuing the path he is on. Stress to your ds it is about health not appearance and he doesn't need to overreact or demonize foods. Help him keep a food diary of what he typically consumes for a couple of weeks before making changes. See what he is really consuming and reduce calories from that by 500. If his weight starts going down by about .5 lb to 1 lb a week then that is probably fine and may be much more than 1500 calories. It may be enough to reduce high calorie snacks and drinks and replace with more nutritious lower calorie choices and being a bit more active.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Ask to see a Registered Dietician. Doctors have only about 20 hours of nutritional training in their 8 year college study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    you should be proud of him for not wanting junk food i don't understand why you would be upset ?

Because if this happened right after the doctor's visit it could evolve into orthorexia.

OP: He is overweight for his height, but not dramatically. It might be time to focus on getting even more active as a family as well as centering meals around lean protein and filling vegetables. I wouldn't have him counting calories, but taking action as a family to build healthy habits to help lower his weight is a good idea.

Do start teaching him about macros and about micros. Teach him about balance and that treats can fit in from time to time without causing issues.

This will be the best advice you'll get in the Chit-Chat forum.

.... or most anywhere
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was told to lose weight by the doctor when I was 16. I probably weighed between 150-160 (also what I weigh now 17 years later). I ignored him because I was embarrassed. It took me years to learn about calories.

Needless to say, I've thought a lot about how to deal with this with my kids. I have one that weighs quite a bit more per height than my others. I don't restrict but try to teach him to not eat more than 1 dessert, etc.

Mine are all 10 or under but I plan on teaching a nutrition course (we homeschool so win/win): calories, macros and micros what they do. Probably throw in some fitness knowledge and then I will get them in the gym. They already want to lift because I do. But if they are gaining weight some of that might as well be muscle. I'd probably start them with stronglifts 5x5.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    In my experience most doctors don't know squat about nutrition or what calorie needs a person has. Mine told me to eat 1200. I am a highly active person who has a physical labor job. I am losing weight on 2400.

If your son really needs to get a handle on his fitness get him with a real nutritionist and maybe see if he wants to pick up a hobby that requires a lot of exercise.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Have you ever used a BMI calculator on line? According to that 5'9" and 170 is the top of the normal weigh range.
    At 190 he is nearing the Obese category.

Is he active? Play sports or plays computer games?
  • Dylan_Nizel
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    Have you ever used a BMI calculator on line? According to that 5'9" and 170 is the top of the normal weigh range.

He is a drum major in marching band
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I'm out lol. ne'er a direct answer. tinted glasses me thinks
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,292 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm afraid that he is overweight for his height and age. (unless of course he is muscular)

this is a BMI calculator put his numbers in and see what it says .. but remember BMI is only a guide, its based on an average person .... different builds (muscle amount) can throw it off .. ..

A 5 ft 9 body builder could weigh 190 easily and not have any extra fat

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

you could also look here, this is a calc to work out how much a person should eat to maintain or lose weight ..

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-calories-per-day/

My daughter was starting to reach the upper healthy weight limit (when she was 14) and all I done was stop bringing junk food into the house and got a little more active with her over about a year she slipped back to the mid BMI range ... shes 16 now and enjoys walking/ swimming

Its difficult to look at our children as overweight but as a parent its our job

• Motorsheen
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

He is a drum major in marching band

Then odds are that he's not spending a lot of time in the weight room.

If he's really 190 at 5'9" and he's not rocked up from training, then he's rapidly approaching: Obese

The good news is that he's young and should be able to shed the extra pounds with the proper support and guidance.