Summer Workout Dilemma

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Exercise outside for free. Weather shouldn't be a problem in the summer.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Does no one else have issues with 90-plus temps?? Am I the only one who can't just suck it up and power through?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can also walk indoors but not on a treadmill if weather is a concern. I'm sure you have heard of mall walkers.
    There are also step based workout videos. Walk- at-home with Leslie Sansone. Jessica Smith has some walking workouts as well. Check out you tube for free workout videos of all sorts.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I do have a heart defect which makes me a little nervous about excessive heat (thanks @clicketykeys for bringing a similar point up) but I appreciate the recommendations for alternative activities that are free!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Does no one else have issues with 90-plus temps?? Am I the only one who can't just suck it up and power through?

No. Heat stress is a real thing and people don't tolerate it the same. It has nothing to do with "being tough" or "sucking it up". Some people don't have the knowledge, experience, or empathy to see beyond their own noses.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options

It all depends where one lives. Today was 113F in my neck of the woods with temperatures increasing daily and hitting probably 120F by next Wed. So I guess that summer weather could be a problem for exercising outside.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

It all depends where one lives. Today was 113F in my neck of the woods with temperatures increasing daily and hitting probably 120F by next Wed. So I guess that summer weather could be a problem for exercising outside.

having lived in the high desert- planning workouts and out door chores around the heat of the day are important.

Honestly given that it's only a few months- to me saving the money for something else seems a bigger priority- but I'm more mustachian about such things than others.

If she's doing cardio in the summer- and wants to do it outside- then avoiding 1 PM is obviously the answer- that means you have to get up at 5 or 6 and get it done- I was in Austin in August for a dance certification- I happened to be doing also training for a half marathon- guess what- I had to get up at 5 AM and go run 9 miles before it go to f**king hot to run. Because that's when you can do that.