Please share how you stretch before walk/run/exercise?

Options
Hi guys it's my day 12 and it's going fantastic:) I'm active daily and happy with my progress. I can't run yet so I walk. Could you tell me how your stretch? Not just before walk but also run (for the future) and before weight exercise? I'd love to see what works for you personally and see if I can copy something for myself:) And add me pls:)

Replies

• ninka_polish
    ninka_polish Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So you'd stretch again after walk/jogg?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    So you'd stretch again after walk/jogg?

I do the main stretching after because its more affective for flexibility that way. I just loosen up before and maybe some quick stretching.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I got mine out of a strength training book. For warm-ups, it's not really stretches. I use a Nerf soccer ball and a fitness band.
    • Fifteen ball-body reaches. I start with the ball held at waist level and then reach up with it over my head to the left, return to start, reach up to the right and repeat 14 times. (I'm left-handed. Start with the right, if you prefer.)
    • Fifteen ball-to-knee touches. Hold the ball over my head, then lower it to about waist-level while raising one knee to touch it. Return to start and raise the other. Repeat 14 times.
    • Fifteen ball plies. Wide stance, ball held between my legs. Bend my knees sideways while raising the ball to waist level, arms out.
    • 8 shoulder rotations with fitness band
    • 8 lateral side bends on each side with band.
    • 8 lateral half-circles on each side with band. (Basically, take a side-bend and keep going in front, coming up on the other side. Then repeat in the other direction.)

Cool-down is where the stretching comes in.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before or after exercise. *hangs head in shame*
    I roll a tennis ball on the bottom of my feet when I feel my plantar fasciitis is starting to act up and touch my toes when my legs and back feel a little tight, maybe do a lunge now and then when my hips are tight, but that's about it.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cool topic! Before lifting I do 5 mins on some cardio device usually stairclimber or recumbant. Then I do 4 stretches that target my glute muscles, hamstrings, and hip region, for the sole purpose of getting my hips and legs ready for some deep squat action...trying to prepare for oly lifts. I don't stretch immediately after my workout I do hydromassage. Then later in the day at home while watching the game on tv I'll do light stretching, foam rolling massage exercises with foam roller and lacrosse ball, then finally some hanging exercises for spine health.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    For lifting, just a couple of warm up sets at a lighter weight, then lifting heavy.

Running, I just start off at a slow jog and build speed into the run.

I'm not a fan of stretching cold muscles.

Stretching after training works better for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Never do static stretches before exercise, pointless at best, may even be counter productive.

My routine is warm up (sometimes) then exercise.
    If my exercise is weights then then I'm doing warm up sets (light weight/high rep).

If I stretch then it's after exercise.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything before I run. My first mile or so is my warm up.

After I do hatha yoga to stretch out. I also do some calf stretches against the wall.

If I have done a long run I'll have a salt bath. Helps me not get muscle pain and stops me stinking the house out :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before I run, I walk a bit and then walk and stretch afterwards
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before exercising.... Been told not to. If Im at the gym before my husband I might do some light cardio, or just start with a warmup weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Not exactly stretching, more like a mini warmup. Before running I do ankle circles, then swing each leg back and front from the hip, then swing each leg side to side from the hip. After that I start with a 5 minute walk and pick up pace gradually to where I'm running by the 5-8 minute mark.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't generally bother, the first couple of Km of running does the trick.

Before a 5K I'll maybe run a mile gently, but for a half, marathon or ultra just go straight into it.

I will do a little after an intense run; speed session.
  • jemmaheaver
    jemmaheaver Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I go on the treadmill I don't warm up I go straight in to my excise don't know if that's good or bad x
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before a workout. If I'm feeling right, I might stretch the tight muscles post workout. It isn't a regular part of my routine tho.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not exactly stretching, more like a mini warmup. Before running I do ankle circles, then swing each leg back and front from the hip, then swing each leg side to side from the hip. After that I start with a 5 minute walk and pick up pace gradually to where I'm running by the 5-8 minute mark.

Dynamic stretching. Back in the day they called that "limbering up". Lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Many people don't need to stretch at all before exercise. A good slow moving around and warm up is good though. And they can be anything from dynamic stretching movements to just light weight exercising warm up before putting weight on the bar.
    If it's walking or jogging, walk for a while then speed up.
    Most stretching should be done AFTER workout when the muscle is warm and pliable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I do a yoga video first thing, before coffee and snack and heading out for a long run. I'll stretch calves, hamstrings, quads, do one-leg chair pose, and some lunges after. For a short run, not much of anything. I have usually worked out earlier in the day, or walked before a weight workout. I don't do much more warm-up than 5 squats and bench presses with the empty bar.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I usually just start out slow as a warm-up. After a run I'll do some stretching, mostly achilles, hamstring and quad stretches, sometimes some yoga. If I'm waiting before a race or run I'll do a series of lunges and high knees to loosen up.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before working out. I warm up instead. I save the stretching for afterwards. Too I use yoga on my recovery days to help as well.