The Keto Life

Options
Share recipes, success stories, ask questions, and let's live a Keto Life!

Replies

• run2lose45
    run2lose45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My name is Jess and I'm on day 3 of my keto revolution.

Day 1 Start Weight: 182
    Current Weight: 179

Macro goals:
    70% F, 20% P, 10% C // 93g F, 60g P, 15g Net C

Favorite Recipe of the Week:
    Cheesecake Fluff
    1 8 oz package of cream cheese
    1/2 C heavy whipping cream
    1/4 C coconut milk
    1 tsp coconut extract
    2 packets of truvia

Whip it all together and top with a crunchy nut or seed (I like raw pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds). Note: I don't make it overly sweet, but add more truvia or your choice of sweetener to bump that up.

Serving size: 1/3 cup of fluff and a sprinkle of crunch
    Nutrition info dependant on your version/ingredients.

Will be posting weekly with updates/favorite Recipe of the week. Share yours and let's Keto together! Feel free to add friend!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily or keto MFP groups are where you will find most keto'ers and low carbers. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Congrats on your success so far.
  • run2lose45
    Options
    Awesome, thanks
  • mchitchcock91
    mchitchcock91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is crustless pizza!

Walden farms marinara sauce
    Top with pepperoni, mushrooms, anything that's keto
    Top with cheese and broil.

I use a pie pan.
  • WingedZombie
    WingedZombie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 9 of lazy keto (>60g carbs/day) and I'm down to 157 lbs from my starting weight of 165. My SO started keto a few months ago and lost 10 lbs, so I decided I'd give it a try too.

I found a fantastic sale on bacon the other week so I've been having two strips and two scrambled eggs every day for breakfast. Normally I have to force myself to eat eggs but not lately. Must be the bacon grease they're cooked in. ;) Yum.

I've gone from needing 3 tsp of sugar in my coffee to only 2, and this coming week I'll try going for only 1 tsp. I haven't yet found a sugar substitute I enjoy so until then I'll just make my coffee weaker.

My favorite keto recipe is the ultra-simple Roasted Riced Cauliflower seasoned with salt and a little bacon fat.

I've got a 2 week family vacation coming up soon and I think I'm going to have to pause keto purely out of necessity. For the first week we're going to be packing most of our own food in a cooler to save money, which means perishable home-cooked meals are going to be very iffy unless I freeze them solid first. I don't have anything against sandwiches but I don't want to go off my diet when it's going so well. Any ideas?
  • run2lose45
    Options
    My favorite right now is crustless pizza!

Walden farms marinara sauce
    Top with pepperoni, mushrooms, anything that's keto
    Top with cheese and broil.

I use a pie pan.

You could try lining it with bacon as a crust! Or crushed pork rinds. Both keto friendly and it'll give it that crunch!
  • run2lose45
    Options
    I'm on Day 9 of lazy keto (>60g carbs/day) and I'm down to 157 lbs from my starting weight of 165. My SO started keto a few months ago and lost 10 lbs, so I decided I'd give it a try too.

I found a fantastic sale on bacon the other week so I've been having two strips and two scrambled eggs every day for breakfast. Normally I have to force myself to eat eggs but not lately. Must be the bacon grease they're cooked in. ;) Yum.

I've gone from needing 3 tsp of sugar in my coffee to only 2, and this coming week I'll try going for only 1 tsp. I haven't yet found a sugar substitute I enjoy so until then I'll just make my coffee weaker.

My favorite keto recipe is the ultra-simple Roasted Riced Cauliflower seasoned with salt and a little bacon fat.

I've got a 2 week family vacation coming up soon and I think I'm going to have to pause keto purely out of necessity. For the first week we're going to be packing most of our own food in a cooler to save money, which means perishable home-cooked meals are going to be very iffy unless I freeze them solid first. I don't have anything against sandwiches but I don't want to go off my diet when it's going so well. Any ideas?

That's awesome! My parents are coming to visit next month, so I get the struggle with food choices. For the coffee, I like truvia as a sweetner. It's a mix of stevia and erythritol so it doesn't process in your body like normal sugar. Glycemic Index is 0. For the trip, take some avocados, hard boiled eggs, bacon, and the sandwiches aren't an issue if you just roll the meat and cheese together (skipping the bread) and make some sort of mustard/mayo dip. Get creative! Are you guys going to be able to access ice regularly? I don't think you should come off it because from what I've read on multiple sites, it's mostly just water weight for now. But regardless, nothing gives motivation more than seeing that scale go down!
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm on day 371 of keto (aka 1 year, 6 days), and I'm down roughly 60 pounds. Seems every 30 pounds or so my body decides to take about a 3 month hiatus. I still have roughly 80 to go.

My macros are set at 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs (10g total carbs--I don't count net carbs), and 1200 calories. Yes, you do still need to watch your calories. Keto can also be used for gaining weight, and since fat contains twice the calories of protein and carbs, it's easy to overeat.

My favorite sweetener is Pyure, which is a stevia/erythritol blend, although I use Truvia (same thing) for my coffee because I can buy that in the grocery. I get Pyure in 1 pound bags from Amazon to use for baking, etc. on the rare occasions I actually bake. Even keto baked goods are higher in carbs. It doesn't have that wonky taste that Swerve does. Haven't tried Sukrin, but it's on my list to get and try sometime. Always check sweeteners to see if they contain maltodextrin as a filler and to make it powdered. That crap is actually sugar. Sad that even supposed "sugar-free" sweeteners still contain sugar.

Fathead Pizza http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/ is my favorite pizza, but I use cheddar for the crust. It melts and browns better than the mozzarella the recipe calls for, plus has a better taste, then I save the mozz for the top. Tastes almost like real thin crust pizza!

I also use the Walden Farms tomato sauce, but I add seasonings to it because it's not great by itself. Same with their barbecue sauces. I want zero carb sauce, but the flavor isn't right, so I add molasses extract (Amazon), LC Foods' brown sugar substitute (made from chicory root and inulin--also Amazon), and liquid smoke to get it to taste better and closer to what I like in barbecue sauce.
  • run2lose45
    Options
    That's awesome how far you've come! Any lessons learned that those of us just starting? My calories are set to 1200 as well, but it doesn't seem difficult so far to stay at that. I don't get mad if I'm a few above or below since my BMR is around 1700. I just tried making flaxseed crackers (https://makan.ch/recipe/keto-flaxseed-chips/) and they are okay. Would be good with some goat cheese and/or bruschetta. Congrats and keep us updated with your progress! I also have a group The Keto Life if you want to join that. :)