How much carbs protein and fat % should I consume?

Options
I am on the lightly active. I have 1200 calories to take in according my MyFitnessPal and on the lose two pounds a week. I weigh 148 but I'm so confused on how much I am suppose to consume of carbs protein and fat. Please help.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Use the defaults, they are fine for most people. You can tweak them if you find a need to do so for satiety or some other requirement. Make sure to always hit those protein and fat numbers, they are Goals to hit.

How much weight are you trying to lose to be in a healthy weight range?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At 148 pounds, two pounds a week is going to be too aggressive for you. You'll be better off lowering your deficit to a pound a week, or even half a pound a week if you only have 10-15 pounds to lose.

As for macros, it's personal preference for the most part. I aim for .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass, but am less picky about the other two.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Just a basic 1g protein/pound of bodyweight and 0.3g of fat/pound of bodyweight.

The rest of your calories from any of the 3 macros.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    At 148 pounds, two pounds a week is going to be too aggressive for you. You'll be better off lowering your deficit to a pound a week, or even half a pound a week if you only have 10-15 pounds to lose.

As for macros, it's personal preference for the most part. I aim for .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass, but am less picky about the other two.

I dont know that you can just say that 2lbs/week is too aggressive for her not even knowing anything about her besides her weight?

2lbs per week is very maintainable until you get close to essential fat. Everyone on here seems to love to just put people on these LONGGG term calorie deficits. You're literally telling her to be in a calorie deficit from 20-30 weeks just to lose 10-15 pounds, which you somehow determined was what she wanted to lose. That can easily be done in 6 weeks with some discipline, no need to spend half a year in a calorie deficit.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I dont know that you can just say that 2lbs/week is too aggressive for her not even knowing anything about her besides her weight?

2lbs per week is very maintainable until you get close to essential fat. Everyone on here seems to love to just put people on these LONGGG term calorie deficits. You're literally telling her to be in a calorie deficit from 20-30 weeks just to lose 10-15 pounds, which you somehow determined was what she wanted to lose. That can easily be done in 6 weeks with some discipline, no need to spend half a year in a calorie deficit.

Exactly! I was going to say the same thing. She also somehow figured that the OP should limit her weight loss to 10-15 lbs. It's bizarre. People just dish out these random generalizations with no basis.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's really easy for the average guy who gets a higher cal goal to say "2 lbs per week is very maintainable". 1200 calories is hard. There are of course outliers who say it's no big deal, but for the average person 1200 cals for an extended period of time is hard, and most women have tried it at one point and know this from experience.

Even if OP is really short and has a goal of 100 lbs, that's less than 50 lbs to lose and 2 lbs per week, 1200 cals will be white knuckling it.

OP, macros are personal preference and won't directly affect your weight loss, but finding the right mix can help you feel full. No harm in starting with the MFP default, though many find the protein default is a little low.

And I'd agree you might want to consider switching to 1 lb per week and get a few more calories. Also don't forget to log your exercise and eat back some of those calories too. Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options

Well, since the OP received the minimum number of calories for a woman, especially with her activity level set at lightly active, it is likely 2 pounds a week is pushing it. Yes, having more information would make that statement more sure, but frankly, unless she is under 5' it is more likely at 148 that 1 pound a week would be more reasonable.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Exactly! I was going to say the same thing. She also somehow figured that the OP should limit her weight loss to 10-15 lbs. It's bizarre. People just dish out these random generalizations with no basis.

Where did I say she should limit her loss? 148 pounds would qualify her as overweight if she's shorter than 5'5", in which case I could see her easily losing twice that if she wants. I said if she only has 10-15 pounds to lose, half a pound a week would be an ideal goal.

But seeing as she was given a 1200 calorie goal for 2 pounds a week, that means that rate is unattainable without a drastic cut in calories that can be damaging to her body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I could have lost 2lbs a week if i really wanted to. But i know myself, and only eating 1100-1300 calories a day, day in day out would be a miserable existence for me, and would eventually lead to an epic binge! I just don't have the willpower to white knuckle it through the extreme hunger and lethargy that would ensue.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Also, at 1200 calories chances are op would lose muscle mass. @kimny72 I agree. It's always men who say to do it fast at a steep deficit not slower. 1200 calories is hard. I cannot eat out anywhere at 1200. I can only stay on plan if I pre track every calorie.

I find 40/30/30 to be the best macros to stick to, personally.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I could have lost 2lbs a week if i really wanted to. But i know myself, and only eating 1100-1300 calories a day, day in day out would be a miserable existence for me, and would eventually lead to an epic binge! I just don't have the willpower to white knuckle it through the extreme hunger and lethargy that would ensue.

Oh, and those calories would only apply if i keep up my current amount of exercise 7 days a week. They would be much lower if i was sedentary.

• ginacc87
    ginacc87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with the whole lose 2lbs per Week because I've always had this setting and when I was working hard at working out and eating right, I would never actually loose 2lbs. It was more like a pound or even half. I don't wanna be too thin. I just wanna lose at leave 10 pounds where at that point I would most likely maintain my weight from there. But I just wanna make sure I'm not eating too many carbs or fat. I feel its more complex than it should be. Thank you all for your kind opinions and advice!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ginacc87 wrote: »
    I'm ok with the whole lose 2lbs per Week because I've always had this setting and when I was working hard at working out and eating right, I would never actually loose 2lbs. It was more like a pound or even half. I don't wanna be too thin. I just wanna lose at leave 10 pounds where at that point I would most likely maintain my weight from there. But I just wanna make sure I'm not eating too many carbs or fat. I feel its more complex than it should be. Thank you all for your kind opinions and advice!

Use the MFP defaults to start and tweak them as you go if you feel you would do better on more of one macro and less of another.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    my macros are about 33% fat/protein/carbs.
    my dr wants me to limit carbs for a while to see if it decreases my arthritis symptoms, so i just input about 1/3 for each of them to make it easy for me. i have to admit i look at calorie count more than macros for the most part.